UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rick Flair: Harley Race would have been MMA champ

12/4/12 12:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stevekt
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chuck and Ric are friends? I would give anything to hit the clubs with these two. Phone Post
12/4/12 12:33 PM
Sofa King Cool
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ric Flair, IMO. Phone Post
12/4/12 1:12 PM
Domingo
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those tend to be the same names most old wrestlers use when talking about tough guys...along with Rick Rude, too.

MMA isn't about toughness, though.
12/4/12 1:22 PM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Positive Pierre Jean Pablo -  Fake wrestlers were very tough but highly exaggerated in their fighting skills. Sure they were beating up the local tough guys at the bar in the 80s due to sheer size but they would get steamroller by anybody with legit fighting skis in boxing, real wrestling, martial arts, etc. Phone Post

Sure, in most cases. But the fact is some wrestlers *did* have legit skills. Been a long time since I've followed wrasslin' but among others Bad News Brown was an Olympian in Judo, Marc Mero (amateur boxer), Kurt Angle (gold medal in wrestling), etc. - and lots with strong amateur wrestling of course.

Slater/Haku I'm not sure about as they may have just been "tough guys" but for the guys that were strong in one fighting style if they had trained MMA instead of pro wrestling, like Flair said, why wouldn't they have been a potential force?
12/4/12 1:28 PM
thekev1130
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's Ric Flair. I'm sure there is nothing anywhere on the internet to spell check his name against though.
12/4/12 1:36 PM
da Vinci 81
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading meng was chosen as tank abbots first opponent in wcw because they figured if things got out of
hand and tank didn't cooperate he was one of the few that could handle himself in there. Phone Post
12/4/12 1:37 PM
KingOfFighters

JOB - It's always said that Haku was a tough bastard. I don't doubt it. But none of them are beating a trained fighter. Ever.
Im sure he'd beat 75% of the green namers on this site Phone Post
12/4/12 1:41 PM
UGCTT_Reco Groman
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 1:43 PM
kevsh - 
Positive Pierre Jean Pablo -  Fake wrestlers were very tough but highly exaggerated in their fighting skills. Sure they were beating up the local tough guys at the bar in the 80s due to sheer size but they would get steamroller by anybody with legit fighting skis in boxing, real wrestling, martial arts, etc. Phone Post

Sure, in most cases. But the fact is some wrestlers *did* have legit skills. Been a long time since I've followed wrasslin' but among others Bad News Brown was an Olympian in Judo, Marc Mero (amateur boxer), Kurt Angle (gold medal in wrestling), etc. - and lots with strong amateur wrestling of course.

Slater/Haku I'm not sure about as they may have just been "tough guys" but for the guys that were strong in one fighting style if they had trained MMA instead of pro wrestling, like Flair said, why wouldn't they have been a potential force?

Harley knew 'real wrestling' real well, and coached a ton of state champs, and a couple national champs. His son was a tough sumbitch too. With all of the time Race and Flair spent together, I'm sure Ric knows what he's talking about.

12/4/12 1:43 PM
fryabusa
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On one of WWE's Legends of Wrestling Mick Foley says a great quote from Harley Race.  It goes "If I hit a man with my left and he doesn't go down I walk around him to see whats holding him up."  I'm waiting for Chael P. Sonnen to use that one.

12/4/12 1:55 PM
UGCTT Private First Class America
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryabusa -

On one of WWE's Legends of Wrestling Mick Foley says a great quote from Harley Race.  It goes "If I hit a man with my left and he doesn't go down I walk around him to see whats holding him up."  I'm waiting for Chael P. Sonnen to use that one.

Haha, great line Phone Post
12/4/12 2:00 PM
demonsurge
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga_Fifita#Notoriety_and_incidents

Fifita made a name for himself outside the ring as one of the toughest wrestlers of his era and is known for allegedly biting off noses, and knocking people out with one punch, slap, or headbutt. Though he had an easygoing, friendly personality outside of wrestling, he had very little tolerance for people who tested him. Even renowned hardman Bad News Allen said in interviews that Fifita was without a doubt the toughest. His one time manager, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan said in a shoot interview that Haku was "the toughest man I've ever met in my life", but noted that he was also a good hearted family man. In 1987, Haku had a backstage fight with Jesse Barr (who wrestled at the WWF as Jimmy Jack Funk) which allegedly resulted in Fifita gouging one of Barr's eyeballs out, causing Barr to later wear a glass eye. After this fight, Fifita had a reputation that steered wrestlers away from backstage confrontations.

------------------------------

I know someone that spent some time for biting the nose off a guy during a fight. Nasty shit.
12/4/12 2:00 PM
Rob Monroe

being tough without skills to go along with it will only get you a prolonged beating now days

12/4/12 2:13 PM
solidsnake
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tank Abbott made a run in his early UFC days.

I wouldn't doubt that some of these pro wrestlers mentioned above would at least beat the fat sumo who lost his tooth in UFC 1.

12/4/12 2:19 PM
DevilsAdvocate
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retarded old man is retarded. Phone Post
12/4/12 2:20 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com
12/4/12 2:26 PM
CatchAsCatchCan

Why is everyone getting upset, he clearly does not know anything about MMA, and has no combat background, so it's just an uniformed person's opinion.
12/4/12 2:27 PM
thenino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no one had the Ring generalship of King Harley Race.
12/4/12 2:28 PM
KrisDonahoo
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willy the Coyote -
uratoker2 - This thread deserves another WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

This. Phone Post
12/4/12 2:35 PM
catbath
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to work with Haku in WCW. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. Had hands that looked more like frying pans.

There was another legend about Haku's strength that I heard one time in the locker room (not from him). Allegedly, during a tour of Germany, the old tour bus they were using got a flat tire in the rain. The driver went to fix it only to realize that he didn't have a tire iron.

Haku was really tired and grumpy. So he took a rag and removed the lug nuts on the tire with his bare hands! Several guys all claim to have witnessed this personally. Phone Post
12/4/12 2:58 PM
Vulva Fabulous
764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody that doesn't think Haku is tough, go down to Florida and haggle over the price of a used car with him. After he gives a counter offer, slap him as if it's an insult.

Come back here and let us know how it goes :)

*I'm only kidding, but I do believe he's a car salesmen in FL now. Phone Post
12/4/12 3:03 PM
thefightingsheep
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad that Haku is finally getting the respect he deserves!
12/4/12 3:04 PM
thefightingsheep
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If amateur wrestlers can be so successful in MMA, just imagine how well professional wrestlers would do. It just makes sense.
12/4/12 3:15 PM
Whambo

If Brock didn't go into the UFC and Flair was saying how Brock could have been champ, there'd be a ton of people saying what a dumb old man he is.
12/4/12 3:15 PM
Forever12er

WOOOOOOO! Phone Post
12/4/12 3:17 PM
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It's always said that Haku was a tough bastard. I don't doubt it. But none of them are beating a trained fighter. Ever."

I think that this assumes that these pro wrestlers were young and healthy and if they trained for MMA.

I've heard that Haku/Meng was a very tough guy and he apparently got offered a chance to fight in MMA back in the '90's (it may have even been the UFC). He turned it down because it did not pay enough and he was already making good money as a pro wrestler.

Harley Race was supposed to have been a tough guy as well. I've never heard of Harley has having good ametuer wrestling skills or anything like that, but he was supposed to have been a natural tough guy type.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.