UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rick Flair: Harley Race would have been MMA champ

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/4/12 3:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shanks
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

okiebug - Danny Hodge would have been a legit MMA champ.
This Phone Post
12/4/12 3:34 PM
theshooter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Race got beat down hard by mediocre wrestlers like the Iron Shiek, Verne Gagne. Bob Backland handled him easy when Race tried him."

I don't think that it's fair to rate The Iron Sheik, Verne Gagne, and Bob Backlund as only being "mediocre" wrestlers. Gagne and Sheik both wrestled in the Olympics and Backlund was an NCAA champion.
12/4/12 3:47 PM
XxLiveBaitxX
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First order of business would be to take out King Mo and Handsome Matt Wiman, because Harley was referred to as King Harley Race and Handsome Harley Race for quite some time.
12/4/12 4:05 PM
UGCTT_Reco Groman
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smackgod9 - 
RockyBullwinkle - 
smackgod9 - LOL. Sheik is an Olympian? Ok. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I mean he was on the Iranian Greco-Roman team at the Mexico Olympics in 1968, so I guess the answer is yes, he was.

|Confirmed only by the Sheik BTW. Bubba pretty much dispelled that myth.

From his Wiki..

Khosrow was born in TehranIran. He made a name for himself as an amateur wrestler, and also worked as a bodyguard for ShahMohammad Reza Pahlavi and his family for several years.[3]

Khosrow competed to become part of the Iranian Olympic Greco Roman team for the 1968 Summer Olympics held in Mexico.[3]

After this, he moved to the United States and became the assistant coach of two US Olympic squads in the 1970s. In 1971, he was theAmateur Athletic Union Greco-Roman wrestling champion at 180.5 pounds.[6] He was assistant coach to the USA team for the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich.

So he 'competed' to become part of the team. It doesn't say he made the team..

12/4/12 4:09 PM
Downwardo
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willy the Coyote -
uratoker2 - This thread deserves another WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ashley Schaffer BMW Phone Post
12/4/12 4:13 PM
itskrisdude
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smackgod9 - Yeah. Bruiser Brody was murdered by a 5', 120 lbs. Mexican . I think people over estimate how tough these guys are

The guy who stabbed Brody to death was 5'10'' 255.
12/4/12 4:17 PM
UGCTT_Reco Groman
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

smackgod9 - Yeah. Bruiser Brody was murdered by a 5', 120 lbs. Mexican . I think people over estimate how tough these guys are

Or a 5'10", 255 lb Puerto Rican, but really, who cares about facts..

12/4/12 4:18 PM
Adam Hunter
1350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the funniest thread I have read in a while. Thanks. Phone Post
12/4/12 4:20 PM
catbath
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

indianrob - 
catbath -  I used to work with Haku in WCW. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. Had hands that looked more like frying pans.

There was another legend about Haku's strength that I heard one time in the locker room (not from him). Allegedly, during a tour of Germany, the old tour bus they were using got a flat tire in the rain. The driver went to fix it only to realize that he didn't have a tire iron.

Haku was really tired and grumpy. So he took a rag and removed the lug nuts on the tire with his bare hands! Several guys all claim to have witnessed this personally. Phone Post

These story are hilarious, do you have more.
reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjgPDIeSXA bluey please.

I've heard a couple other "tough guy" stories -- some involving Dave Finley, Steve Regal and Dave Taylor. They all claimed to have fought all-comers out of carnival tents back in their European days.  Lots of headbutting hapless rubes who were the toughest guy in town and knocking them out before they knew what the hell happened...

The Steiner brothers were also considered pretty tough backstage.  There was a story about them getting angry at a promoter at some venue -- so they stripped him naked, duct-taped his hands and feet, then stuck a pencil in his ass (just the tip, so it was sticking out like a tail).  I believe the pencil was symbolic because they were mad about how they'd been booked (a carney term for a booker is "the pencil)... but those details escape me.

12/4/12 4:20 PM
MickColins
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being the toughest fake fighter= being the smartest guy in GED class. Phone Post
12/4/12 4:40 PM
charms434
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - Being the toughest fake fighter= being the smartest guy in GED class. Phone Post
But why aren't you doing it?

Yes it's predetermined.
Yes it drives you crazy that any of those fake losers could EVER compete in YOUR MMA.
It's hilarious, some of those guys were great amateurs.
We'd be having this same argument if Chael Sonnen stuck with WCW when he was at the Power Plant. "That fake Chael Sonnen! He's....FAKE!!" Phone Post
12/4/12 4:48 PM
Rear Naked Chode
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's he old enough to be a nature man yet?
12/4/12 5:01 PM
Chromium
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 5:01 PM
You know, Chael Sonnen started out training for a pro-wrestling career after getting an invite from WCW. He passed the notoriously grueling Power Plant test (physical conditioning test) at WCW Headquarters and then got an invite in 1998. He asked to defer until he graduated from college and was told that passing the Power Plant test was basically an invitation for life, so that was fine. Chael Sonnen graduated in Spring of 2001, a few months after WCW went out of business and was bought by the WWF.

There have been tons of folks in pro-wrestling with excellent backgrounds that would have been applicable in MMA. I don't know about the specific people Ric Flair is naming, but it's not much of a stretch to believe some pro-wrestlers could have been elite MMA fighters. Hell, Sakuraba started in pro-wrestling for Christ's sake, before he was the Gracie-killer.

EDIT: beaten on Chael, heh
12/4/12 5:14 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only guy I REALLY wished we could've seen fight was Andre the Giant.  I've heard some insane stories about that dude.  Always hard to know if they've been embelished but the only person I can equate to Meng would have to be Andre.

I'll see if I can find some good Andre stories.

12/4/12 5:17 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not bad...

"One of the most infamous stories involving Andre The Giant took place outside a bar in New York City. The legend goes that two drunk men were egging Andre on at a bar. Andre, enraged, went after the men. The smaller faster men were able to make it outside and into a cab. But, you know how bad traffic in New York City is. Andre was able to walk up to the cab, which was stopped in the street. Andre grabbed the cab and flipped it onto its side. Andre then walked back to his hotel."

I also remember Hulk talking about him almost throwing someone out a window but I can't find it right now.

12/4/12 5:18 PM
buckshot44
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd..

And.. Ashley Schaffer BMW.. FTW
12/4/12 5:41 PM
MrMead
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buckshot44 - Sub'd..

And.. Ashley Schaffer BMW.. FTW

Ashley Schaffer KIA now. : )
12/4/12 5:54 PM
Driscoll
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does every thread involving pro wrestling attract 100 retards who yell "IT'S FAKE!!" like we don't already know?

Fuckin' Tapout fanboys and TUF noobs think they own MMA now. Get over yourselves. Phone Post
12/4/12 6:02 PM
Chris27
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just because you are tough as hell doesnt mean you'd be great in mma.

Plenty of guys are tough as hell but they still get their ass kicked.

12/4/12 6:06 PM
Malagant
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vulva Fabulous -  Anybody that doesn't think Haku is tough, go down to Florida and haggle over the price of a used car with him. After he gives a counter offer, slap him as if it's an insult.

Come back here and let us know how it goes :)

*I'm only kidding, but I do believe he's a car salesmen in FL now. Phone Post

He works at David Maus Toyota in Florida and he is the car detailer manager. See if you can find him in the staff pics

http://www.davidmaustoyota.com/dealership/staff.htm
12/4/12 6:18 PM
Fedor219

I would love to watch Stone Cold Steve Austin go at it verbally with Dana White. Then dump beer on him in the octagon Phone Post
12/4/12 6:40 PM
caged conflict

All of you stupid little keyboard warriors seem to forget that your precious sport of BJJ was started by a guy who was basically a carnie wrestler. Idiots!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuyo_Maeda

Remember that Neil Adams rolled up the Gracies (including your Man-God Rickson) and Bad news Brown would have ruined them in grappling. Many of these professional wrestlers were amateur wrestling studs and in mma the quality wrestlers tool up the BJJ guys who have no other skill set. Considering the professional wrestlers' appetite for steroids, they would have done just fine in mma.
12/4/12 6:40 PM
caged conflict

Come at me bros. G'head and vote me down for spittin mad knowledge.
12/4/12 7:11 PM
jcblass
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Remember that Neil Adams rolled up the Gracies (including your Man-God Rickson) "

Please elaborate....
12/4/12 8:00 PM
Eggmachine
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think pro wrestlers get enough credit.

I read in Chris Jericho's last book how a group of WWE wrestlers manhandled a bunch of kick boxers in the lobby of a hotel. I guess the kickboxer dudes were in town for a tournament when one mouthed off to HHH then punched a referee. All hell proceeded to break loose.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.