UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rick Flair: Harley Race would have been MMA champ

12/4/12 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_stu0411
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB - It's always said that Haku was a tough bastard. I don't doubt it. But none of them are beating a trained fighter. Ever.

Tank Abbott beat trained fighters didn't he? Haku had the same chance I guess.

12/4/12 11:14 PM
Doem
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Reco Groman - 
kevsh - 
Positive Pierre Jean Pablo -  Fake wrestlers were very tough but highly exaggerated in their fighting skills. Sure they were beating up the local tough guys at the bar in the 80s due to sheer size but they would get steamroller by anybody with legit fighting skis in boxing, real wrestling, martial arts, etc. Phone Post

Sure, in most cases. But the fact is some wrestlers *did* have legit skills. Been a long time since I've followed wrasslin' but among others Bad News Brown was an Olympian in Judo, Marc Mero (amateur boxer), Kurt Angle (gold medal in wrestling), etc. - and lots with strong amateur wrestling of course.

Slater/Haku I'm not sure about as they may have just been "tough guys" but for the guys that were strong in one fighting style if they had trained MMA instead of pro wrestling, like Flair said, why wouldn't they have been a potential force?

Harley knew 'real wrestling' real well, and coached a ton of state champs, and a couple national champs. His son was a tough sumbitch too. With all of the time Race and Flair spent together, I'm sure Ric knows what he's talking about.

there was a term for the wrestlers who had those skills back hen. They were enforcers a lot of the time because they could illegitimately kick anybodies ass who stepped out of line out of the ring, and could win a match against anybody who wasnt willing to give up the belt in the ring.
12/4/12 11:15 PM
TightTriangle
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have to mention Stu Hart too. That dude was a tough SOB.

Obviously modern day MMA would be too much for any of these guys, but they would definitely have a chance of winning tournaments until sprawl and brawl became widespread in the early 2000s. Phone Post
12/4/12 11:15 PM
Doem

^^^
it was "hooker"
12/4/12 11:46 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In '92-93, Farooq I would not piss off either Phone Post
12/5/12 12:13 AM
GSP24

Phisher -

Voted down for misspelling Flair's name.

Lol. No kidding. Who misspells The Nature Boy's name?!

Woooooooooooo! Phone Post
12/5/12 12:17 AM
nowaydo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brody, Haku and Hansen...yes!!!
12/5/12 12:49 AM
Bry Bry

i think pro wrestling is silly and i cant imagine anyone older than 12 years old getting any enjoyment out of it..too each his own i guess though..

that said i dont doubt that Haku, Harley Race were very tough guys..any time you have a guy that is in great shape physically, has killer instinct, weighs over 200 pounds and is tough on top of it, you have a dangerous man that is a handful for anyone..these guys were tough when it came to bar brawls, they were big and mean and aggressive and when the fight broke out, they went for the kill..im sure a few of these guys had legit amateur wrestling backgrounds as well..im not sure if they could have become champions though..i see Haku getting destroyed by the better wrestlers and bjjers..im sure Tank would have laid him out if they fought back then..

it would be interesting to imagine Haku in a bar brawl against someone like Joe Rogan, a guy that has alot of training under his belt, but has never fought mma and much smaller than the pro wrestler..would haku win in this type of scenario?
12/5/12 1:31 AM
jujitsujamo

Lets look at the facts; Former pro wrestler Brock Lesnar wins the UFC heavyweight championship in his fifth MMA fight. Now do you honestly think that any MMA fighter could cross over to pro wrestling and beat John Cena or the Undertaker within their first five matches?

Argument over. Phone Post
12/5/12 1:37 AM
tres_equis_666
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another WOOOOOOOOOO for Naitch. Phone Post
12/5/12 4:47 AM
SinCityHustler

Bry Bry - i think pro wrestling is silly and i cant imagine anyone older than 12 years old getting any enjoyment out of it..too each his own i guess though..

that said i dont doubt that Haku, Harley Race were very tough guys..any time you have a guy that is in great shape physically, has killer instinct, weighs over 200 pounds and is tough on top of it, you have a dangerous man that is a handful for anyone..these guys were tough when it came to bar brawls, they were big and mean and aggressive and when the fight broke out, they went for the kill..im sure a few of these guys had legit amateur wrestling backgrounds as well..im not sure if they could have become champions though..i see Haku getting destroyed by the better wrestlers and bjjers..im sure Tank would have laid him out if they fought back then..

it would be interesting to imagine Haku in a bar brawl against someone like Joe Rogan, a guy that has alot of training under his belt, but has never fought mma and much smaller than the pro wrestler..would haku win in this type of scenario?

I think so.  A bar/street fight is about inflicting tons of damage in a very short time.  An MMA fight is fought at a 3 or 5 round pace for the most part, often times with tactics designed to further slow down the fight, and limit the actual fight within the fight.  When you have a game fighter who is physically imposing, technique can be secondary to affression in terms of effectiveness.  I've done both, pro MMA and many, many street fights.  In the cage I came right out and fought, but was careful to not gas myself, knowing the opponent was simply trying to weather the storm and look to stall things out.  In the street, however, pacing one's self can be a death sentence.  That allows other factors to come into play, (the longer the fight goes on).  For the most part, I have always gone balls to the wall and ended things quickly, (less than 1 minute) and then GTFO of Dodge.  A big strong game aggessive and tough guy like Meng would be a nightmare for more poeple, (Rogan included) in a real fight situation.  My $.02

12/5/12 5:21 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Downwardo -
Willy the Coyote -
uratoker2 - This thread deserves another WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ashley Schaffer BMW Phone Post
Hahahahaha I just finished watching all 3 seasons, loved that show. Glad I was able to get the reference, hilarious scene. Phone Post
12/5/12 5:39 AM
JJitsu
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love how dipshits always scream wrestlings fake... No shit asshole!!! Its a soap opera for kids you stupid fucks!!!Quit shit talking my childhood!!People who like it know it's fake and people who don't like it do too so who the fuck are you telling this to? You also look like dipshits because you don't know the history of the sport you jock so hard.

Judo Gene Lebell- pro wrestler
Ken Shamrock- pro wrestler before UFC1. Where do you think he learned the leg lock he used? Gracie Torrance?
Dan Severn- NWA World work champion,brought his fake belt to the ring and whooped MMA asses
Pride= pro wrestling organization that went full MMA due to the popularity of their worked Shoots.
Sakuraba= pro fucking wrestler..
Gracie killer

Of course it's fake but guys like Lou Thez or Verne Gagne would have been at least ok the same way Koscheck and Fitch are.
An old school hooker could take the Pepsi challenge with a BJJ guy anytime and do fine. Just ask Josh Barnett,another pro wrestler...or Billy Robinson or a shit ton of other fake wrasslers that can kick your asses. What else did amatuer wrestling ATHLETES without elite striking have to do other then wrestle back then? Look up a guy named Antonio Inoki and tell me where MMA comes from you fucking fucks!!!

I feel better now Phone Post
12/5/12 10:24 AM
jujitsujamo

I am also upset at the authors lack of fact checking regarding Ric Flairs name. If someone misspelled John Jones name - fanboys would be up in arms. Phone Post
12/5/12 10:44 AM
cheesesteak
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a very young Ric Flair

12/5/12 10:46 AM
cheesesteak
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a chubby Ric Flair

12/5/12 10:48 AM
cheesesteak

Edited: 12/05/12 10:48 AM

and everyones favorite

Pimp Dady Flair!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

12/5/12 11:34 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Black -  A fantastic read is the book "Pure Dynamite," an autobiography of The Dynamite Kid Tom Billington.

I actually read this book upon a friend's suggestion one summer while on vacation, and that dude was a tough motherfucker. He has also called out Harley Race by name as one of the toughest motherfuckers he's ever met. It seems that drug addiction, injuries, and ego kept him from achieving WWF Champion status as a singles competitor. He left the company, and his cousin & tag team partner, British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith, decided to stay.

Dynamite Kid is a legend in professional wrestling, a superstar in Japan, and a glass-ceiling-breaker for smaller guys in the US. He invented the top rope superplex, and the tombstone piledriver. He lived hid like confoned to a wheelchair due to the dedication and sacrifices he has made to professional wrestling.

This is one guy- after reading his book- that I certainly believe would make it in MMA. He was trained by world renowned catch wrestlers. I don't doubt he could have dominated the Welterweight Division in MMA today if he wrestled in highschool in 2003 and started training in MMA at 18-19. He could have been a GOAT. Ah, how things would be if time were different... Phone Post

Thank you.

I didn't want to quote the plebian who said something about grand claims.

If MMA fans do not understand the rich and storied history of professional wrestling, back to the carnival days,
they surely have missed a chapter about the formation of MMA.

A lot of great stuff in here.
Hopefully the uneducated and confused can gain some quality insight and form a proper opinion on the subject....

Anyone who doesn't the irony in getting into MMA through TUF and calling pro wrestling "fake", I just don't think you are seeing things clearly.
12/5/12 12:04 PM
PatsBarriesGotKongo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TightTriangle - Have to mention Stu Hart too. That dude was a tough SOB.

Obviously modern day MMA would be too much for any of these guys, but they would definitely have a chance of winning tournaments until sprawl and brawl became widespread in the early 2000s. Phone Post
I remember being in the dungeon with Harry Smith, TJ Wilson (Tyson Kidd), (Theo) Randy Myers, Teddy and others. Stu would now n then make his way downstairs in his late years. Solid dude! This was 2001-ish.
I think Harry would fair well in MMA. Davey Boy used to take him boxing at the Calgary Zoo when he was a young teenager. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:06 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Don't think Flair didn't get laid all the time. I'm sure he pulled major tail.

12/5/12 1:26 PM
AnakinHelwani
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to see Anderson Silva vs. Meng in a Hell in a Cell match. It's my dream.

12/5/12 1:34 PM
iamarealamerican

hacksaw jim duggan woulda been beastin on fools if he was in the ufc, 2x4's all over da place
12/5/12 1:37 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augie Max - 

LOLL!!!!!!

12/5/12 2:12 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
iamarealamerican - hacksaw jim duggan woulda been beastin on fools if he was in the ufc, 2x4's all over da place

I thought he was in early UFC ? He's not Harold Howard ??

12/5/12 2:59 PM
Got MMAlk
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Downwardo -
Willy the Coyote -
uratoker2 - This thread deserves another WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ashley Schaffer BMW Phone Post
Hahahahaha I just finished watching all 3 seasons, loved that show. Glad I was able to get the reference, hilarious scene. Phone Post
This! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.