UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> DC - all day meetings - something up?

12/4/12 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/04/a-day-of-meetings-at-dc-comics/

If you are a comics creator, trying to get in touch with your DC editor, today might not be the best day to try and do so.

I am told that today, at its 1700 Broadway offices, there will be a series of meetings at DC Comics, first individually with many employees, and then a group meeting with all employees in the afternoon to outline DC’s new plan.

All I’ve been told is that this involves efficiency measures as a result of monitoring since April this year.

Now this is the kind of thing that could lead to redundancies, and does bears some similarity to the events during DC’s big reorganisation a few years ago, but I have been assured by DC Publicity that “DC has no plans to announce any redundancies”.

So there’s that.

Whether this involves a further move to Burbank, a move down the street, a change in publishing priorities, an end to Vertigo, the elevation of Jim Lee to become official King Of America, I don’t know. But I expect to start hearing leaks a little later today.

12/4/12 5:50 PM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're getting rid of the DCnU and introducing the DCnnU?
12/4/12 7:12 PM
bcolflesh
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The sad part of this how DC will blame "market forces" when they go out of business, instead of the inane decisions of their incompetent management.
12/4/12 7:52 PM
RedDragonUK
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liefeld's bought the company and all characters without pouches will be given them and running/kicking characters outlawed.
12/4/12 9:55 PM
Alger Hiss
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Old New Old DCU (classic edition).
12/4/12 11:52 PM
odysseyroc
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just texted Jim to find out what's going on. They're working on the frame work for the New New 52 and 2014's Newest 52. It's pretty exciting stuff.
12/5/12 1:08 AM
Kneeblock
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt and lol at Tony.

12/5/12 1:14 AM
odysseyroc
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be pretty cool if they were moving to Burbank, since that office looks like the fake movie version of a comic studio. It's pretty impressive.
12/5/12 9:03 AM
MarkRobinson
1105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock -

ttt and lol at Tony.

Lol Phone Post
12/5/12 9:50 AM
paw
1299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

odysseyroc - I just texted Jim to find out what's going on. They're working on the frame work for the New New 52 and 2014's Newest 52. It's pretty exciting stuff.

LOL!

12/5/12 11:58 AM
Stickgrappler
1344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did anyone post about Karen Berger stepping down? she pretty IS vertigo! dayum

12/5/12 11:58 AM
Stickgrappler
1344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/04/a-day-of-meetings-at-dc-comics/

12/8/12 3:02 AM
Kneeblock
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And here's the results:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/119502-the-end-is-nigh-dc-falls-flat-in-final-diamond-sales-numbers-before-end-of-world.html Phone Post
12/9/12 6:32 AM
paw

More rumors of editorial causing problems:

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/08/batgirl-gets-a-fill-in-writer-for-two-issues/

DC have released a number of March solicitations so far, but we are missing the Batman and the Dark groups. They may be delayed because there are… let’s go with “issues”…  to sort out.

For instance I understand that Batgirl #17 and #18 won’t be written by Gail Simone. This specifically isn’t an indication that Gail is off the book, I have been explicitly told that this is a fill-in writer situation.

With Gail Simone’s workload at DC reduced lately after Firestorm, it does point to problems at the company with their creator/editorial relations.

Issue 17 has already been solicited of course, for February. This is the original solicitation;

BATGIRL #17
Written by GAIL SIMONE
Art by ED BENES
Cover by JUAN JOSE RYP
On sale FEBRUARY 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• Barbara Gordon must deal with the fallout from “DEATH OF THE FAMILY” in this issue that will forever change her status quo in The New 52!
• What does James Gordon Jr. have planned for his sister, Batgirl?

But this just one of a number of high profile similar situations I have been hearing about at DC Comics this past week.

More to come…

12/10/12 12:31 PM
Stickgrappler

Wonder if Simone spoke up to the higher ups about something she didn't agree with or wanted to do but was not greenlighted... DC sending a message to the other creators?

Good luck Gail Simone!

12/10/12 3:28 PM
Calebcb
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - 

Wonder if Simone spoke up to the higher ups about something she didn't agree with or wanted to do but was not greenlighted... DC sending a message to the other creators?

Good luck Gail Simone!

I think the only message they could take from this is, "ABANDON SHIP!".
12/10/12 4:29 PM
paw

Stickgrappler - 

Good luck Gail Simone!

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/10/stuff-and-things-at-dc-editorial/

I mentioned during the weekend’s shenanigans concerning Gail Simone and Batgirl that I’d heard a number of stories concerning the relationship between creative and editorial at DC Comics right now. Gail Simone and her editor Brian Cunningham was just one example.

Another concerns a creative team on a very prominent title over a number of months having their story on the book approved, fully written and started on art replaced with another – then – another – then another, finally with a brand new plot dropped on them from above, having to start from scratch.

This kind of inconsistent micro-managing is nothing new, and was very prominent at the beginning of the DC Relaunch. However it had settled down on a number of books it seemed (with notable exceptions) but now seems to have risen with vengeance. And people are leaving.

As far as I can tell some of this is creative churn, trying to drum up interest in books that have slipped into stagnancy, but others are full blown editorial and creative disagreements, usually concerning higher editorial top-down mandates. Some seem exhausted with revisions and inconsistencies, in which intricate stories are developed months in advance, approved and then later “unapproved” months later as last-minute ideas descend.

12/10/12 4:40 PM
Stickgrappler

Comics publishers and the Suits can be a biyatch. Hate them. Let the creators create!

12/11/12 10:10 PM
BENDOver and Take it Like a Diaz

DC is a weird animal. They obviously needed to rein some of their creators in in the midst of weird metafictions with maximal marketing and tepid resales like Final Crisis but now it seems theyre just sticking their finger in the pie for the heck of it. Phone Post
12/12/12 7:37 AM
paw

BENDOver and Take it Like a Diaz -  DC is a weird animal. They obviously needed to rein some of their creators in in the midst of weird metafictions with maximal marketing and tepid resales like Final Crisis but now it seems theyre just sticking their finger in the pie for the heck of it. Phone Post

Seems like.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.