UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Any marathon runners?

12/4/12 5:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rick_Cain
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets talk running. There's a few threads in the strength and conditioning ground but they are pretty dead. Who here has run or plans on running a marathon? Got any advice or tips on training? Any specific program you followed or did you just wing it? What was you time?

5K,10k, or half marathons?

I'm running The San Francisco marathon in June which will be my first one. I decided to try the Hanson's Marathon Method for my training which won't start officially until mid January. Although I'm already putting in about 30 miles per week. Ran 13 miles on Sunday so I think I'll be ready to go if I can avoid getting injured. Phone Post
12/4/12 5:54 PM
Mushroom Slap
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theyre easy to spot in public. Their Prius' have pretentious 26.2 stickers on the bumpers
12/4/12 6:01 PM
Rick_Cain
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mushroom Slap - Theyre easy to spot in public. Their Prius' have pretentious 26.2 stickers on the bumpers
Don't fuck with them though, they're 110 pounds of solid muscle. Phone Post
12/4/12 6:14 PM
Kon Thai
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran the SF marathon this year and am training for the LA marathon in March. My goal was to pace my girlfriend and get her to the finish line. We trained for 3 months averaging 30-40 miles a week. Finished the race in 5 1/2 hours. My biggest piece of advice is to try out the same brand of gels and electrolytes that they will provide during the race on your long runs. I had one cup of electrolyte and it really upset my stomach. Phone Post
12/4/12 6:26 PM
Death and Taxes
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just ran my first marathon last month. My training was all over the place but it worked out well. With the way you're doing now, you should be fine. 

Hanson's marathon method looks interesting. 

12/4/12 6:29 PM
Rick_Cain

Thanks Kon, that's great advice. Looks like they use Ultralyte. Not even sure where to find that. Good luck in LA! You can get a special medal for finishing both races. Its called the LA SF challenge. Not sure if that needs to be in the same calendar year though. Phone Post
12/4/12 6:37 PM
buzzkil
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mushroom Slap - Theyre easy to spot in public. Their Prius' have pretentious 26.2 stickers on the bumpers

i drive an f-150
12/4/12 6:37 PM
Rick_Cain

Death and Taxes -

I just ran my first marathon last month. My training was all over the place but it worked out well. With the way you're doing now, you should be fine. 

Are you going to run another one or was that it?

I like the Hanson method because its based on some science as opposed to the same program that people have been using for years. The idea is its better to have a higher workload during the week and then your long runs are simulating the last 16 miles of the marathon because you are going into it with tired legs. Most programs you peak at 20 mile long runs but you don't put in as many miles during the week. Phone Post
12/4/12 6:38 PM
Death and Taxes
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With your goal out in June, just be careful you don't overtrain. You can build up residual fatigue. Make sure you give your body adquete rest. 

12/4/12 6:39 PM
buzzkil

ran my first one this year, its tons of fun. doing a 50 mile in april if i can manage to not get hurt training
12/4/12 6:41 PM
Death and Taxes

Rick_Cain - 
Death and Taxes -

Are you going to run another one or was that it?

I like the Hanson method because its based on some science as opposed to the same program that people have been using for years. The idea is its better to have a higher workload during the week and then your long runs are simulating the last 16 miles of the marathon because you are going into it with tired legs. Most programs you peak at 20 mile long runs but you don't put in as many miles during the week. Phone Post

I'm going to do more. I'm even considering one this month. 

Interesting. I have the book. I just haven't read it yet. The 20 mile long run is supposed to be more for confidence, getting your feet accustomed to taking a ton of steps, and a type of mock preparation for the marathon day. I can see the wisdom in the Hanson method. Let me know how it goes for you. Once I read the book, I'll probably try it too. Maybe for a marathon next Spring/Summer. 

12/4/12 6:43 PM
Rick_Cain

buzzkil - ran my first one this year, its tons of fun. doing a 50 mile in april if i can manage to not get hurt training
That's awesome. I've been reading a lot about the ultra marathons a lot. Guys like Dean Karnazes and Scott Jurek. It's pretty inspiring. Good luck with you training! Phone Post
12/4/12 6:44 PM
buzzkil

here is my schedule starting Dec 16

WEEK MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN MILES
1 rest 6 6 6 rest 10 10 ~38
2 rest 6 6 6 rest 10 10 ~38
3 rest 6 6 6 rest 10 10 ~38
4 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
5 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
6 rest - - - - - -
7 - 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
8 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
9 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
10 rest 6 6 6 rest 30 10 ~58
11 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
12 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
13 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
14 rest 6 6 6 rest 40 rest ~58
15 rest 6 6 6 rest 20 10 ~48
16 rest 6 6 6 rest 10 10 ~38
17 rest 3 3 3 rest 5 10 ~30
Race week rest rest rest rest rest RACE rest 54+
12/4/12 6:46 PM
buzzkil

to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

i'm 40 and fat so i have low expectations
12/4/12 6:54 PM
FreeCandy
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am new to them as well. i just did my first half marathon last sunday. so here was my routine. in Oct i did the tough mudder 11mile obstacle course run. i took the rest of the month off. early in November i ran 1 mile, and then the next week i ran 4 miles, and then the next week i ran 7 miles. and the december 2nd was time for the half marathon of 13 miles. i felt fine with the little running/training i did.

also i wasnt training to really run my hardest, i just wanted to do it without stopping and keeping a pace i knew i wouldnt gas out on. heres my half marathon stats : Distance 13.29 mi, Duration 2:22:44, Pace 10:44. now i also stopped twice, once to take a piss and once to take a crap.
12/4/12 6:55 PM
RoccCity
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later. Phone Post
12/4/12 6:55 PM
FreeCandy
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad3/sshaness/14674_423018677765003_1449277664_n.jpg

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad3/sshaness/9702_423356187731252_384052990_n.jpg
12/4/12 6:57 PM
khd29

Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

We ran 3x/week. One day for speed (1 hr), one day technical, usually hills, (1 hr).. And one day for a long run. We started with 6 miles. Only hit 20 miles once and instructor didn't even want to.. He said it was more psychological to hit the 20.

Good luck in your training. Don't burn out. June is a long time away.
12/4/12 7:00 PM
Kon Thai
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick_Cain - Thanks Kon, that's great advice. Looks like they use Ultralyte. Not even sure where to find that. Good luck in LA! You can get a special medal for finishing both races. Its called the LA SF challenge. Not sure if that needs to be in the same calendar year though. Phone Post
The LA/SF challenge is for 2 consecutive marathons. They don't have to be in the same calendar year. That extra medal is a big part of why my girl wants to do it! Lol! Phone Post
12/4/12 7:03 PM
FreeCandy

kon thai i voted you up since you have no votes and only 2 post'

now post pics of your girl
NAOW
12/4/12 7:04 PM
Rick_Cain

buzzkil - to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

That schedule looks pretty similar to mine in terms of miles per week. You can do it if its a priority. I end up doing a lot of my running at nights after the kids are in bed. Luckily my kids go to bed pretty early still.
I'd hate to have to do my running in the mornings before work. Fuck that. Phone Post
12/4/12 7:09 PM
Rick_Cain

khd29 - Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

We ran 3x/week. One day for speed (1 hr), one day technical, usually hills, (1 hr).. And one day for a long run. We started with 6 miles. Only hit 20 miles once and instructor didn't even want to.. He said it was more psychological to hit the 20.

Thanks for that. Did you have back pain at all? That's what I'm worried about most is hurting my back. I know I need to spend a lot more time doing core work. Phone Post
12/4/12 7:11 PM
Death and Taxes

khd29 - Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

Swedish fish, that's awesome. I like the gels. Energy chews and sport beans are cool too.

I started swimming on my non-running days. It really helps the core and the low impact is great too.

12/4/12 7:12 PM
Death and Taxes

FreeCandy - http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad3/sshaness/14674_423018677765003_1449277664_n.jpg

http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad3/sshaness/9702_423356187731252_384052990_n.jpg

12/4/12 7:13 PM
Death and Taxes

Rick_Cain - 
buzzkil - to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

That schedule looks pretty similar to mine in terms of miles per week. You can do it if its a priority. I end up doing a lot of my running at nights after the kids are in bed. Luckily my kids go to bed pretty early still.
I'd hate to have to do my running in the mornings before work. Fuck that. Phone Post

I have to run after the kids sleep too. One of my big hurdles with marathon training is just have the spare time available to train.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.