UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Any marathon runners?

12/4/12 7:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
imkeithhernandez
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im more of an obstacle racer..just did Worlds Toughest Mudder and a vunch of other adventure races..but me n my running budd +who always does marathons are signing up for the Pittsburgh marathon itll be my first official but Ive done the mileage in training..shooting for a 3.30 Phone Post
12/4/12 7:20 PM
Rick_Cain
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death and Taxes -
khd29 - Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

We ran 3x/week. One day for speed (1 hr), one day technical, usually hills, (1 hr).. And one day for a long run. We started with 6 miles. Only hit 20 miles once and instructor didn't even want to.. He said it was more psychological to hit the 20.

Good luck in your training. Don't burn out. June is a long time away.

Swedish fish, that's awesome. I like the gels. Energy chews and sport beans are cool too.

I started swimming on my non-running days. It really helps the core and the low impact is great too.

I've actually been swimming about 3 days a week for a little over a year. Actually I started running originally just to balance my swimming. I swim about 2000 meters on my lunch break from work usually Mondays, tues, and Fridays. Now I'm enjoying running much more but will be sure to keep up the laps. It's funny too cause I hated running at first. Signed up for a 5k, then a 10k just to stay motivated. Then somewhere along the way I started to really enjoy it. It really gives me time to myself to think and that's been nice. Phone Post
12/4/12 7:22 PM
Rick_Cain
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imkeithhernandez - Im more of an obstacle racer..just did Worlds Toughest Mudder and a vunch of other adventure races..but me n my running budd +who always does marathons are signing up for the Pittsburgh marathon itll be my first official but Ive done the mileage in training..shooting for a 3.30 Phone Post
Nice! I'm hoping to run the SF marathon in 3:50ish. Good luck in Pittsburg! Phone Post
12/4/12 7:24 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death and Taxes - 
khd29 - Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

We ran 3x/week. One day for speed (1 hr), one day technical, usually hills, (1 hr).. And one day for a long run. We started with 6 miles. Only hit 20 miles once and instructor didn't even want to.. He said it was more psychological to hit the 20.

Swedish fish, that's awesome. I like the gels. Energy chews and sport beans are cool too.

I started swimming on my non-running days. It really helps the core and the low impact is great too.

The non-impact days really rejuvenate. We did 2 deep water runs during our training. Maybe I'll add swimming next training session. Slowly getting back and getting ready for the NJ marathon.

Never thought about the energy chews/ sport beans. Whenever I have the gels, especially GU, it gives me the shits. They weren't even the caffeinated ones. I think my body just can't take sugar (I forget which kind) anymore. I even tried the Honey Stinger but the reaction was not as bad. The swedish fish I was able to eat slowly and didn't feel bloated like the gels.
12/4/12 7:24 PM
Rick_Cain

Death and Taxes -
Rick_Cain - 
buzzkil - to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

i'm 40 and fat so i have low expectations
That schedule looks pretty similar to mine in terms of miles per week. You can do it if its a priority. I end up doing a lot of my running at nights after the kids are in bed. Luckily my kids go to bed pretty early still.
I'd hate to have to do my running in the mornings before work. Fuck that. Phone Post

I have to run after the kids sleep too. One of my big hurdles with marathon training is just have the spare time available to train.

Any advice on managing the wife? My wife has been okay so far but I can see her getting annoyed pretty soon as the miles keep going up. Phone Post
12/4/12 7:27 PM
imkeithhernandez
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since the post is about training Ill contribute to what works for me...clean diet is numero uno..Im big on minimalist running so Id say switch to Nike Frees..youve read alot of Ultra Marathon books by Jurek and Karnazes but you also must must read Born to Run by McDougall its a game changer..invest in a foam roller..its a godsend before and after runs..as for running..get in the mileage..and do alot of hill repeats..you're never gonna quit on a flat or a downhill so learn to make hills your friend and you can't lose and you'll mentally bust alot of people who are barely getting up the hill...Last but not least...just focus your step to the one thats coming up..I learned not to mentally fuck myself but saying i did 10 miles so far..oh shit now Ive 16 more Phone Post
12/4/12 7:28 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did the Chicago Marathon in 2010. 89 degrees in the middle of October, I was not prepared for that heat that late in the year. Wanted to do sub 4 hours, but did about 4:30.

I think I did overtrain a bit, as the last two weeks were pretty grueling despite the fact that I was tapering.

Overall, the training for the marathon itself was one of the best experiences of my life. It really made me mentally tougher and obviously got into much better shape. The marathon was fun too, but a little crowded. If was to do another, I would probably do one that was under 5000 people.
12/4/12 7:31 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

....also my advice would be not to worry if you miss a workout or two. Even if you miss a full week for some reason, it is not the end of the world. If you have a long run that just you know you are not going to be able to finish for whatever reason, do not interalize it too much.

12/4/12 7:34 PM
Death and Taxes
1233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick_Cain - 
Death and Taxes -
Rick_Cain - 
buzzkil - to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

That schedule looks pretty similar to mine in terms of miles per week. You can do it if its a priority. I end up doing a lot of my running at nights after the kids are in bed. Luckily my kids go to bed pretty early still.
I'd hate to have to do my running in the mornings before work. Fuck that. Phone Post

I have to run after the kids sleep too. One of my big hurdles with marathon training is just have the spare time available to train.

Any advice on managing the wife? My wife has been okay so far but I can see her getting annoyed pretty soon as the miles keep going up. Phone Post

Ask her if she would prefer if you were fat instead of running

12/4/12 7:35 PM
khd29

Rick_Cain - 
khd29 - Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

Thanks for that. Did you have back pain at all? That's what I'm worried about most is hurting my back. I know I need to spend a lot more time doing core work. Phone Post

No back pain at all. However, I only started running seriously a year ago. I'm 5'8" and 198 lbs, so it's not exactly a "runner's build". I have several herniated discs and had the L4-L5 discectomy a few years back. I think the core strengthening and stretching helped.
12/4/12 7:46 PM
Rick_Cain

imkeithhernandez - Since the post is about training Ill contribute to what works for me...clean diet is numero uno..Im big on minimalist running so Id say switch to Nike Frees..youve read alot of Ultra Marathon books by Jurek and Karnazes but you also must must read Born to Run by McDougall its a game changer..invest in a foam roller..its a godsend before and after runs..as for running..get in the mileage..and do alot of hill repeats..you're never gonna quit on a flat or a downhill so learn to make hills your friend and you can't lose and you'll mentally bust alot of people who are barely getting up the hill...Last but not least...just focus your step to the one thats coming up..I learned not to mentally fuck myself but saying i did 10 miles so far..oh shit now Ive 16 more Phone Post
Great advice. I know I need to start hill running as most my training has been flat. The marathon is one of the worst for hills so I know this is where I'm really lacking.

What's you diet like?

I loved born to run. The Tarahumara are bad asses. Phone Post
12/4/12 7:48 PM
imkeithhernandez

Im pretty much paleo...with some minor joys of life still existing Phone Post
12/4/12 7:57 PM
Rick_Cain

khd29 -
Rick_Cain - 
khd29 - Ran my first marathon in Philly last month just over 5 hrs. Besides working on the miles, the only piece of advice I can give is work on your core. Didn't know how important it was until our group ran 15 miles for the first time. I don't take gels, etc. but i did eat Swedish fish but only 3-4 pieces.

Thanks for that. Did you have back pain at all? That's what I'm worried about most is hurting my back. I know I need to spend a lot more time doing core work. Phone Post

No back pain at all. However, I only started running seriously a year ago. I'm 5'8" and 198 lbs, so it's not exactly a "runner's build". I have several herniated discs and had the L4-L5 discectomy a few years back. I think the core strengthening and stretching helped.
I had a L5-S1 discetomy in 2008 so having more sciatica is definitely one of my biggest concerns. Phone Post
12/4/12 8:10 PM
Rick_Cain

Death and Taxes -
Rick_Cain - 
Death and Taxes -
Rick_Cain - 

Ask her if she would prefer if you were fat instead of running

haha, I actually think she might. She's a little overweight from having three kids so i think for her it's easier to just be fat and happy together. She goes to cardio kickboxing off and on but I think she doesn't work hard enough to see any results. Plus I think her diet sucks. Seeing me lose a bunch of weight she keeps saying how easy it is for me. Bull fucking shit! I've worked my ass off for the last year. It hasn't been easy at all. Phone Post
12/4/12 8:11 PM
Lux Fixxins

I ran 2 half marathons.

So I ran a marathon as far as I'm concerned Phone Post
12/4/12 8:14 PM
Rick_Cain

SuperMannyFraker - ....also my advice would be not to worry if you miss a workout or two. Even if you miss a full week for some reason, it is not the end of the world. If you have a long run that just you know you are not going to be able to finish for whatever reason, do not interalize it too much.

Thanks for that advice. I'll have two weeks I new to take off during my training for vacations with the family. It will be nice to just take it easy and not worry about getting in the miles. Phone Post
12/4/12 8:14 PM
Rick_Cain

Lux Fixxins - I ran 2 half marathons.

Absolutely! Phone Post
12/4/12 8:40 PM
JDV
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I typically started training 5 months out when i was doing marathons and ran between 4-5 days a week with rarely more than 40 miles a week. My best time was 3:41. I was surprised that I got by just as well with 4 days a week as 5 and it helped keep me from burning out which was tough to avoid at times.
One of the most rewarding experiences when you cross the finish line after all the training. Good luck man! Phone Post
12/4/12 9:12 PM
Death and Taxes
1233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lux Fixxins - I ran 2 half marathons.

When I hit 13 miles, I thought that wasn't so bad, I can do another 13. Buuuuut, the next 13 miles were much different than the first 13. Phone Post
12/4/12 9:23 PM
CursedHand
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did a half marathon for the first time this year. I forgot my wife had signed us up for it and so hadn't done any running for months leading up to the race. I was in fairly good shape from jiu jitsu so I was able to finish the race without stopping, which was my goal. My time was 1hr 59 mins.

Also saw some real old people running the race - some looked to be in their 60s and 70s - which was pretty inspiring, especially when some old dude more than twice my age went flying past me.

It was great fun but my legs just stopped working as soon as I got past the finish line. It was more painful walking to the toilet afterwards than running the actual race.
12/4/12 9:29 PM
StevetheWeasel
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did my first last year, and did alright, but not as well as I'd done in training. I'll be doing another in April, hoping to qualify for Boston.

If you're doing 13 mile runs now, you'll be fine by June, assuming you keep at it. I didn't have any formal training, just lots of miles and following advice from running forums.
12/4/12 9:34 PM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've run 10+ half marathons, 2 full marathons, 2 half-ironmans. my schedule for 2013 is 4 half marathons (3 are trail), four full marathons (3 are trail races), sprint tri and half-ironman with goal of 7:00:00 or less. and then in September my 6th Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack. wife and i agreed if i do finish half ironman in < 7 hrs i'm greenlight to train for full ironman in 2014. :D

for running training i absolutely swear by http://halhigdon.com/training/ programs ... gospel to me. do those running programs for whatever distance and you will finish, you may PR. those training schedules are awesome.

for finding races i use http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

12/4/12 10:38 PM
Rick_Cain

jeeperpete - i've run 10+ half marathons, 2 full marathons, 2 half-ironmans. my schedule for 2013 is 4 half marathons (3 are trail), four full marathons (3 are trail races), sprint tri and half-ironman with goal of 7:00:00 or less. and then in September my 6th Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack. wife and i agreed if i do finish half ironman in < 7 hrs i'm greenlight to train for full ironman in 2014. :D

for running training i absolutely swear by http://halhigdon.com/training/ programs ... gospel to me. do those running programs for whatever distance and you will finish, you may PR. those training schedules are awesome.

for finding races i use http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

I would like to do some triathlons next year. I could probably do the shorter ones now, I would just need to train on the bike. I have a mountain bike which I don think will fly. Do they have trail triathlons where you can use a mountain bike? Phone Post
12/4/12 10:40 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was not a marathoner but managed a 3:49 for the last leg of an ironman. Anybody with two legs that work should be able to break 4 hours if you train right.
Don't buy into the overtraining crap. Put in the miles, pay particular attention to getting a quality long run every week. Rest on race week and you'll be fine.

I think it's funny to hear people putting in less than 50 miles a week at 10 minute pace talking about overtraining. Overtraining is real but it takes more than that to do it. Plus you come out on the other side stronger.

The trial of miles, miles of trials. Believe it. Phone Post
12/4/12 10:41 PM
Death and Taxes

Thanks for the links jeeperpete! I want to do a sprint tri in 2013. I just need a good bike for it and that's a bit of an investment. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.