UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Any marathon runners?

12/4/12 10:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FreeCandy
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death and Taxes - 
Lux Fixxins - I ran 2 half marathons.

So I ran a marathon as far as I'm concerned Phone Post
When I hit 13 miles, I thought that wasn't so bad, I can do another 13. Buuuuut, the next 13 miles were much different than the first 13. Phone Post

thats how i felt after the half marathon, as i was crossing the finish i thought yeah, that wasnt too bad. and then i stopped and had to walk back to my truck and thought F*ck that i could not have gone further. my feet were pretty sore, but i was in Vibrams and that was my first time.

i think things like toughmudder are not as bad since theres dirt,mud,etc that help cushion the impact. even though i do concentrate on landing on the balls of my feet, it was still rough towards the end. i think the last 2 miles was the only time i thought about walking, but said F8ck that and kept going.
12/4/12 10:57 PM
Russ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i ran my first half marathon in may

this january i'm doing the goofy run in floriday

half on sat full on sunday

this will be my first full and training has been good, i seem to fade between 30-35km(my longest runs i have had so far)

i was told i need more gel packs or fuel to keep me going.

is bringing a chocoalte bar or sometging solid to eat out of the question for people that have run them?

my half time was 2:08  my full looks like it will be around 4:45-5hours i'm guessing

12/4/12 11:01 PM
Cookie Monster
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
12/4/12 11:23 PM
Kon Thai
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreeCandy - kon thai i voted you up since you have no votes and only 2 post'

now post pics of your girl
NAOW
Hahaha. I noticed that you ran your half in vibrams. Do you do any running barefoot? Phone Post
12/4/12 11:36 PM
glass neck
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm getting more into running

it is still behind bjj in my priorities, pulling ahead of lifting/strength training

done a few 5Ks and an 8K

going to work on getting my speed up in the shorter races before i go for anything longer

going to do a 10K in february, goal is <45

there is a local 10 mile at the end of february, but i aint ready

plus no headphones allowed...i think i would go crazy trying to run that far with no tunes
12/5/12 12:45 AM
Rick_Cain
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glass neck - i'm getting more into running

it is still behind bjj in my priorities, pulling ahead of lifting/strength training

done a few 5Ks and an 8K

going to work on getting my speed up in the shorter races before i go for anything longer

going to do a 10K in february, goal is <45

there is a local 10 mile at the end of february, but i aint ready

plus no headphones allowed...i think i would go crazy trying to run that far with no tunes
I've actually started to enjoy running with no headphones. Ran my last 10k without them. That's something I've never thought I would say. Phone Post
12/5/12 9:55 AM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick Cain & Death and Taxes - i started this adventure in 2006, i weighed 250 lbs. lowest i've been ia 185 mid season this year. its been an amazing journey. bike wise i did my first sprint tri's and 50 mi cycle events on a plain-jane hybrid bike regular pedals no clips. heh. i do now have a simple road bike, not expensive, clip pedals and clip shoes. not "triathlon shoes" or anything special.

there is so much info online about training i'm sure i don't have to say "be sure to do bricks" and all that.

one warning ... you may become like the rest of us:

"Shit Triathletes say"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw

"Shit runners say"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3cF6rln30

and one of my favorites, "Marathon Thoughts"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

have a GREAT 2013 season!
12/5/12 11:38 AM
FreeCandy
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kon Thai - 

NAOW
Hahaha. I noticed that you ran your half in vibrams. Do you do any running barefoot? Phone Post

no i havnt. do you?
12/5/12 12:00 PM
Kon Thai
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreeCandy -
Kon Thai - 

NAOW

no i havnt. do you?
I started out running in Vibrams. Met this guy Barefoot Ken Bob at a running clinic and he convinced me to run without them. I have been running barefoot ever since (2 years?). It is the ultimate sense of freedom. I started running because I had eaten too many plate lunches during a trip to Hawaii and wanted to get back into shape. I hated it, but ran anyway. A friend of mine turned me onto vibrams which made it a little more enjoyable. Once I started running barefoot it actually became fun! Haha. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:20 PM
Papa BUrgandy
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran my first 1/2 marathon in July (rock n roll 1/2 in Chicago)

I broke my foot training (stress fracture) about 2 weeks out. I still wanted to run/finish the race. I had to stop a bunch of times, but then I caught up with a double amputee veteran and ran with him the rest of the race. It was a total honor for me and I felt like a puss complaining about a little foot pain earlier.

Some thoughts:
1)I did the Couch to 1/2 training. I thought it was a good program, I was getting into good running shape before breaking my foot

2)The crowds at the races are very fun and energenic which helps.

3)I took one of the biggest shits of my entire life about one hour after the race.

12/5/12 12:54 PM
FreeCandy

Kon Thai - 
FreeCandy -
Kon Thai - 

NAOW

no i havnt. do you?
I started out running in Vibrams. Met this guy Barefoot Ken Bob at a running clinic and he convinced me to run without them. I have been running barefoot ever since (2 years?). It is the ultimate sense of freedom. I started running because I had eaten too many plate lunches during a trip to Hawaii and wanted to get back into shape. I hated it, but ran anyway. A friend of mine turned me onto vibrams which made it a little more enjoyable. Once I started running barefoot it actually became fun! Haha. Phone Post

in Hawaii? id run barefoot too if i was somewhere like socal or Hawaii. im in Vegas, i do run in the street but the asphalt get super hot here, and in the summer i have to wait till the sun goes down before i can run in my vibrams because of the ground being too hot.
12/5/12 12:55 PM
FreeCandy

oh nevermind you said during a trip to HA. where do you live now?
12/5/12 1:19 PM
Rick_Cain
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the barefoot running / minimalist movement is pretty cool. I saw a guy running barefoot at the last 10k I did and it was pretty funny to see. After reading born to run I was all ready to go buy some vibrams. After a little research most people say as long as your form is good you don't have to worry about it too much. Since
I run at night mostly I think it would be difficult for me to run in minimalist shoes as I'd always be stepping on shit. Phone Post
12/5/12 1:27 PM
Rick_Cain

Any of you experienced guys have advice or tips for fueling? I haven't started using anything during my long runs yet but I know I need to soon. Do you take GUs before and during, how often? Anything else you recommend? I love the Swedish fish idea. I bought a bunch of different gu flavors and several of the different chewy kinds, sports beans etc.... Phone Post
12/5/12 1:56 PM
Kon Thai

FreeCandy - oh nevermind you said during a trip to HA. where do you live now?
I live in LA so I'm pretty lucky as far as the weather goes. In the summer I would wake up early so I could finish my runs before the streets got too hot. It doesn't even get too cold here, but in the winter months my feet are numb for the first mile or so. Lol. Phone Post
12/5/12 2:18 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick_Cain -  Any of you experienced guys have advice or tips for fueling? I haven't started using anything during my long runs yet but I know I need to soon. Do you take GUs before and during, how often? Anything else you recommend? I love the Swedish fish idea. I bought a bunch of different gu flavors and several of the different chewy kinds, sports beans etc.... Phone Post

Forgot to add to take salt pills, if necessary. We did an 18 mile tune-up in Central Park and I had bad leg cramps. I thought I hydrated enough during. Not sure if there is enough sodium in Gatorade but I never had cramps again after I started using it.

The gels should be taken slowly. Sipping, iirc. I opened one an finished it by the next haydration table. Like salt pills, 1 every 45-min to 1 hr.

I get all my stuff at runningwarehouse.com
12/5/12 2:30 PM
Pro MMA Now

I ran my first full marathon in October (Rock and Roll marathon in St. Louis.)

Learned a lot. I followed the Hal Hidgon plan with a long run of 20 miles. I'm 40 and weigh about 215 so I'm a bigger guy. Got through the plan injury free because I added strength training.

I was cruising for a 3:45 finish feeling awesome at mile 21 then hit the wall at mile 22 and ended up finishing in 4:20. That last 4 miles were a daze.

"The wall" in my experience was not knee or foot pain or running out of gas. I wasn't fatigued in the least. It was a brain issue where I lost contact with my leg. Felt like a short circuit is the best way I can describe it. You try to run, but your brain isn't communicating. Really surreal feeling and the last 4 miles felt like eternity.

As far as nutrition, I trained the entire plan on a low carb diet. Never took water or gels even on the 20 mile run. It's been said that they may help a little but all the gatorade and gels did me no good once I got to mile 22. I believe that has to be addressed in the carb loading in the days prior. Nothing you can do short term for that issue in my opinion.

I've been running pretty seriously for about 3 years now. Have my 10k time down from 59:00 in 2011, to under 42:00 now so I've got some good tips for getting faster and stronger.

12/5/12 2:36 PM
Kon Thai

Rick_Cain - I think the barefoot running / minimalist movement is pretty cool. I saw a guy running barefoot at the last 10k I did and it was pretty funny to see. After reading born to run I was all ready to go buy some vibrams. After a little research most people say as long as your form is good you don't have to worry about it too much. Since
I run at night mostly I think it would be difficult for me to run in minimalist shoes as I'd always be stepping on shit. Phone Post
Haha! People will yell out, "Born to run!" At every race I've done. Most of the times it's funny, but sometimes people are being dicks. Phone Post
12/5/12 2:36 PM
Death and Taxes
1088 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rick_Cain -  Any of you experienced guys have advice or tips for fueling? I haven't started using anything during my long runs yet but I know I need to soon. Do you take GUs before and during, how often? Anything else you recommend? I love the Swedish fish idea. I bought a bunch of different gu flavors and several of the different chewy kinds, sports beans etc.... Phone Post

I usually use GU but I recently used some Clif shot gel at a race and really liked it, so I've been using those more. I've had hammer once and it was good too. These bother some peoples' stomachs but I've been fine with all of them. Just experiment and see what you like. I eat the gel quick and you're supposed to drink lots of water with it. They say on those to take them every 45 min during but I usually space it out more than that, like an hour. 

I usually use NUUN tablets for long runs where I'll need more water. 

Besides that, sometimes during races I like bananas or oranges. 

12/5/12 2:40 PM
Death and Taxes
1088 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pro MMA Now - I ran my first full marathon in October (Rock and Roll marathon in St. Louis.)

Learned a lot. I followed the Hal Hidgon plan with a long run of 20 miles. I'm 40 and weigh about 215 so I'm a bigger guy. Got through the plan injury free because I added strength training.

I was cruising for a 3:45 finish feeling awesome at mile 21 then hit the wall at mile 22 and ended up finishing in 4:20. That last 4 miles were a daze.

"The wall" in my experience was not knee or foot pain or running out of gas. I wasn't fatigued in the least. It was a brain issue where I lost contact with my leg. Felt like a short circuit is the best way I can describe it. You try to run, but your brain isn't communicating. Really surreal feeling and the last 4 miles felt like eternity.

As far as nutrition, I trained the entire plan on a low carb diet. Never took water or gels even on the 20 mile run. It's been said that they may help a little but all the gatorade and gels did me no good once I got to mile 22. I believe that has to be addressed in the carb loading in the days prior. Nothing you can do short term for that issue in my opinion.

I've been running pretty seriously for about 3 years now. Have my 10k time down from 59:00 in 2011, to under 42:00 now so I've got some good tips for getting faster and stronger.

I had a similar experience. The first 24 miles were great, the last 2.2 were brutal. I know exactly what you're talking about. Hard to describe. Although, I feel like if I had something better to eat at one of those last aid stations, maybe it would have perked me up mentally a bit more. 

12/5/12 2:45 PM
khd29

If you can have a friend meet you at whatever mile, ask them to give you something that will give you a boost. My friends used flat soda (coke), our instructor gave us Simply Lemonade with Mango.. those flavors/sugars really "woke" me towards the end of the long runs.
12/5/12 2:54 PM
PaulieB0Y
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be running the Sf marathon in June also. I ran the half a couple of years ago and loved it. The first half is much better than the 2nd half if you have to choose one. You don't run the SF for time as it has a lot of hills, 2 big ones that I remember. I'll start training in January and wish it was at the end of July as usual. It would give me more good weather to train in. I had to stop Muay Thai training to get this done because those leg kicks and soreness set me back last year and could not train properly for it. Phone Post
12/5/12 3:00 PM
jeeperpete
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

two points on fueling.

1. "train like you race, race like you train" ...might sound crazed but whatever you eat and drink when you do training runs you do the same on race day. so planning backwards, consider what you have time and resources for on race morning and eat & drink THAT every morning you plan to go run. goal is no surprises on race day. if you never drink gatorade before or during a training run, don't do it on race day. you will get offered GU packets, drink mixes and all kinds of shit in your goodie bag when you pick up your bib ...but i always toss that shit. i personally don't eat or drink those producs. i have a banana and a single cup of coffee before race. because that's how i wake up every day. consistency and no changes of plan.

2. i try not to carry any supplies on me while on long runs. for training runs that are over 13.1 i use google maps webpage and plan my route so that every six miles or so i arrive at a grocery store or a convenience store like 7-11 that i've been to before and know its lay out. i run up to the grocery or 7-11, go in, get my banana or orange and water ...pay... and then have a quick sit on curb while i'm eating. then hit the road again. i use a SPI belt to carry iPod and $$$, i use a Road ID on my wrist in case i get hurt and cannot speak. ...oh, and i share my route with wife and expected way point times including finish back at home.

and weather or not "carb loading" meals are effective or not, it is tradition for myself, wife and family. if race is sunday morning, everyone in my circle knows we'll have a pasta dinner. i eat hearty and i have 1 beer the night before. it brings everyone together and we share laughs and smiles and i get good encouragement from people close to me. feels good and is good. we've made it a tradition for my races.

last.... when you get race medals keep track of 'em. for my birthday this year my wife bought me an all medal hanging rack now up on wall my side of the bed that says has tooled letters spelling out ALWAYS EARNED NEVER GIVEN. and we have put 14 medals on there but i have in the past six years have ran way more than that ... so keep track of your metals you get and/or bibs and store in one place if later you want to display however.

12/5/12 3:09 PM
Russ
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you guys are awesome insperation

good advice jeep

thanks

12/5/12 6:23 PM
buzzkil

Rick_Cain - 
buzzkil - to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

i'm 40 and fat so i have low expectations
That schedule looks pretty similar to mine in terms of miles per week. You can do it if its a priority. I end up doing a lot of my running at nights after the kids are in bed. Luckily my kids go to bed pretty early still.
I'd hate to have to do my running in the mornings before work. Fuck that. Phone Post

i'm in the same boat brah, luckily i have a treadmill for the during the week stuff. i get up at 5am on weekends to do the longer runs. my kids go to bed at 7! it rules!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.