UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Any marathon runners?

12/5/12 6:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FreeCandy
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 6:33 PM
12/5/12 6:34 PM
FreeCandy
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kon Thai - 
Rick_Cain - I think the barefoot running / minimalist movement is pretty cool. I saw a guy running barefoot at the last 10k I did and it was pretty funny to see. After reading born to run I was all ready to go buy some vibrams. After a little research most people say as long as your form is good you don't have to worry about it too much. Since
I run at night mostly I think it would be difficult for me to run in minimalist shoes as I'd always be stepping on shit. Phone Post
Haha! People will yell out, "Born to run!" At every race I've done. Most of the times it's funny, but sometimes people are being dicks. Phone Post

im not the most social person. i pretty much stopped wearing my Vibrams in public and only wear then when im running. im guessing doing runs barefoot like 5ks-marathons would bring all kinds of unwanted attention towards me :/
12/5/12 7:24 PM
Death and Taxes
1104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buzzkil - 
Rick_Cain - 
buzzkil - to be honest I am having my doubts about being able to complete that schedule but I'll sure as hell try my best

i'm 40 and fat so i have low expectations
That schedule looks pretty similar to mine in terms of miles per week. You can do it if its a priority. I end up doing a lot of my running at nights after the kids are in bed. Luckily my kids go to bed pretty early still.
I'd hate to have to do my running in the mornings before work. Fuck that. Phone Post

i'm in the same boat brah, luckily i have a treadmill for the during the week stuff. i get up at 5am on weekends to do the longer runs. my kids go to bed at 7! it rules!

Man, I can't stand the treadmill

12/5/12 7:27 PM
Death and Taxes
1104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FreeCandy - 
Kon Thai - 
Rick_Cain - I think the barefoot running / minimalist movement is pretty cool. I saw a guy running barefoot at the last 10k I did and it was pretty funny to see. After reading born to run I was all ready to go buy some vibrams. After a little research most people say as long as your form is good you don't have to worry about it too much. Since
I run at night mostly I think it would be difficult for me to run in minimalist shoes as I'd always be stepping on shit. Phone Post
Haha! People will yell out, "Born to run!" At every race I've done. Most of the times it's funny, but sometimes people are being dicks. Phone Post

im not the most social person. i pretty much stopped wearing my Vibrams in public and only wear then when im running. im guessing doing runs barefoot like 5ks-marathons would bring all kinds of unwanted attention towards me :/

Haha, I haven't heard that but I've seen a lot more people wearing Vibrams lately so maybe the novelty (and the lame jokes) are wearing off.

12/5/12 7:32 PM
Submissable
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
12/6/12 2:58 PM
Death and Taxes

Running is great therapy. 

12/6/12 6:08 PM
Rick_Cain
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death and Taxes -

Running is great therapy. 

Exactly how I feel. I didn't run last night and I've felt like shit all day today. Can't wait to get home from work and run tonight. Phone Post
12/6/12 6:46 PM
buzzkil
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ny knee has been sore since sat. might try an easy 3mi tonight as a test...i think its IT band tightness..
12/6/12 6:49 PM
Rick_Cain
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buzzkil - ny knee has been sore since sat. might try an easy 3mi tonight as a test...i think its IT band tightness..
Uhghh, good luck man. Did that just come on all of a sudden or was it gradual? Phone Post
12/6/12 6:50 PM
Death and Taxes

buzzkil - ny knee has been sore since sat. might try an easy 3mi tonight as a test...i think its IT band tightness..

What part of the knee? 

12/6/12 7:02 PM
buzzkil

Rick_Cain - 
buzzkil - ny knee has been sore since sat. might try an easy 3mi tonight as a test...i think its IT band tightness..
Uhghh, good luck man. Did that just come on all of a sudden or was it gradual? Phone Post

yeah it ame on fast, i took 3 days off after a 15 miler ran 6 and it sorta hurt, ran another 6 and it really hurt took 2 days off ran 9 and it hurt for the last 2, that was saturday, here it is thursday and i'm going to test it by walking until i feel waemed up the running 5mph for 5 miles or until it hurts at which point i'll stop

i've averaged 30 miles a month since Feb and this is the first real pain.
12/6/12 7:04 PM
buzzkil

Death and Taxes - 
buzzkil - ny knee has been sore since sat. might try an easy 3mi tonight as a test...i think its IT band tightness..

What part of the knee? 

on the outside

at first i thought it was patellafemoral syndrom but now i think its just it band tightness from the cold
12/6/12 7:09 PM
Death and Taxes

buzzkil - 
Death and Taxes - 

What part of the knee? 

on the outside

at first i thought it was patellafemoral syndrom but now i think its just it band tightness from the cold

If it's outside, yeah, it could be IT band. Does the pain start about a mile or two into the run?

Try ice, foam roller, specific IT band stretches. Take time off if you have to. 

I've had ITBS before and it is a pain to get rid of.

12/6/12 9:00 PM
buzzkil

Death and Taxes - 
buzzkil - 
Death and Taxes - 

What part of the knee? 

on the outside

If it's outside, yeah, it could be IT band. Does the pain start about a mile or two into the run?

i ran 3, at first i thought it was going to hurt but it seemed to smoothout and thereis no pain after stopping. so i don't really know what to make of it quite yet. i'm going to take a day off and run again on saturday.
12/7/12 2:30 AM
Rick_Cain

buzzkil -
Death and Taxes - 
buzzkil - 
Death and Taxes - 

What part of the knee? 

on the outside

i ran 3, at first i thought it was going to hurt but it seemed to smoothout and thereis no pain after stopping. so i don't really know what to make of it quite yet. i'm going to take a day off and run again on saturday.
That's good news. Hopefully it just goes away.

I just got back from a slow and easy 11 miles. I ate a half pack of gu chews before I started and kept farting for the whole run. Don't know if that was the chews or if I just needed to take a dump. No stomach pain though and I had energy through the whole run so that's good. Phone Post
12/7/12 8:20 PM
buzzkil

i fart constantly during runs, probably the dozen plus bananas i eat everyday
12/10/12 9:55 PM
Death and Taxes

Favorite running fuel foods? Phone Post
12/10/12 10:37 PM
FreeCandy

^ good question. i dont crap about diets besides all of the normal stuff. i do eat a lot of chicken breast and spinach, but before a hard run i would go for the pasta carb stuff. either the night before if its an early run, or if its a afternoon or night run i would have a nice pasta lunch. so i could really use some answers here too
12/11/12 5:26 PM
buzzkil

the knee is toast, can't run past 4 miles without pain looks like i'm not going to be able to run for at least a month

so long 50 mile race training

oh well, probably would have been more pain than its worth anyway!
12/11/12 5:29 PM
dizz
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Foam roll that IT band brother

12/11/12 5:31 PM
Death and Taxes

dizz - 

Foam roll that IT band brother

Every runner should own a foam roller.

12/11/12 5:32 PM
Death and Taxes

buzzkil - the knee is toast, can't run past 4 miles without pain looks like i'm not going to be able to run for at least a month

so long 50 mile race training

oh well, probably would have been more pain than its worth anyway!

Take a couple weeks off. Find stretches that specifically target the IT band. You can overcome this. I did.

12/11/12 6:52 PM
buzzkil

i been stretching and rolling and not running for a week. today was a 6 mile test run and was a no go. I'm going to take a month off of running and do other forms of exercise.

honestly it doesn't mean that much to me at this point in my life
12/11/12 7:35 PM
glass neck
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have dealt with itbs, especially when i first started running

here is what helped me get past it:

1) Protec strap - amazing how this thing makes a big difference

http://www.rei.com/product/704435/pro-tec-athletics-iliotibial-band-wrap

2) this stretch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYM3KWwrGY

3) this yoga pose - i dont do the hand thing, just stretch my arms overhead and then fold forward, or sometimes just lean back with hands on the floor behind me

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/689

4)i've also read it has do do with medial glute stiffness and have used this stretch as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d8YWb-F0u4

try that stuff out if you want, i think it will help you
12/11/12 8:15 PM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran a full marathon at 4:12

I ran a half marathon at 1:50

Completely winged it

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.