UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Critique / tweak my routine

12/4/12 7:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
likatiga
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey.

I'm 36 years old and for the first time in my life I've started a weight routine. I've always been relatively fit with various sports and martial arts. However, I've never gone to a gym and lifted a weight. Until now. I don't want to get big, but I do want to define and get some of those vanity muscles going. I do Muay Thai 5 or 6 days a week also so this routine does not need any cardio, just muscle building / shaping.

I got this from the interwebs, how does it look? Anything I should pay more or less attention to? I go 5 or 6 days a week. I do each exercise in 3 sets of 10 reps. The weight I use is enough so that the first set is ok, second is hard and I am struggling to get through the third set.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Day 1 - Chest/Back/Abs

Smith Machine Bench Press
Pullups
Smith Machine Incline Bench Press
V Bar Pull Down
Barbell Decline Bench Press
Deadlift
Cable Cross Over
Alternating Renegade Row
Flat Bench Lying Leg Raise
Side Bend
Ab Crunch Machine

Day 2 - Biceps/Shoulder/Traps

Dumbbell One Arm Zottman Preacher Curl
Jerk Balance
Drag Curl
Dumbbell Front Raise
Bicep Curl Machine
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Hammer Curls
Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug
Push Press Behind The Neck

Day 3 - Legs/Triceps

Barbell Full Squat: 10 X 3
Seated Triceps Press
Glute Kickback
Dip
Leg Press
Triceps Pushdown V-Bar
Leg Extensions
Reverse Grip Triceps Pushdown
Calf Press On Leg Press Machine

Day 4 - Traps/Back/Abs
Pullups
Barbell Deadlift
Push Press Behind The Neck
Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug
Decline Crunch
Side Bend
Flat Bench Lying Leg Raise
12/4/12 7:40 PM
Chocolate Shatner
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Advice number 1:

Get rid of the fucking Smith Machine work. Just learn to fucking bench properly. If you have to use a machine, use a Hammer Strength or something else. Fuck the Smith Machine.

More later when I have time.
12/4/12 8:11 PM
likatiga
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttthanks Mr. Shatner Phone Post
12/4/12 8:55 PM
Chocolate Shatner
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, back for more.

General advice:

1. This looks like a bodybuilder routine. And honestly, not a very well put together one. If you are actually looking to get strong, you gotta simplify this shit a lot. Stop copying shit you got from Muscle&Fitness or bodybuilding.com, and go with a simple program like 5/3/1.

2. Dump the vanity muscle days. Day 2 (biceps?) is a waste of your fucking time. You have four variations of curls on there. WHY, in God's name? If you have a strong row and pullup, your biceps will be plenty developed for scoring ass. Same with triceps. If you still feel the need to do these groups, at least pair them with their large muscle partner (chest/triceps, back/biceps).

3. Even if you decide to stay with this retarded program, change up your exercise order. For example, why in the blue fuck do you have deadlifts (perhaps the most difficult back exercise, demanding the most muscle) after two other back exercises?
12/4/12 9:54 PM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bench Monday

3x8 barbell
3x8 incline
3 sets of dips

Deadlift Tuesday

5x5 DL
3 sets of chins
3 sets of dumbbell rows

Shoulder press Thursday

3x8 OH press
2x12 lateral raise
2x12 upright row

Squat Friday

5x5 squats
Then maybe some lunges keg extensions what ever.

Simplify!!!!! Phone Post
12/4/12 10:31 PM
likatiga

OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash - Bench Monday

3x8 barbell
3x8 incline
3 sets of dips

Deadlift Tuesday

5x5 DL
3 sets of chins
3 sets of dumbbell rows

Shoulder press Thursday

3x8 OH press
2x12 lateral raise
2x12 upright row

Squat Friday

5x5 squats
Then maybe some lunges keg extensions what ever.

Simplify!!!!! Phone Post
I like this. Kind of the basis for 5-3-1 right?

Is there any benefit to add some "vanity" exercises into this routine? Curls, shoulder shrugs, etc.

Also, shatnter, thanks for your input.

Good stuff here. Phone Post
12/4/12 10:42 PM

Not really not when your just starting out. Dont forget your abs and core as well.

12/4/12 11:33 PM
Chocolate Shatner

I'd ditch the upright rows on shoulder day. Way to easy to get a fucked up shoulder from them for a lot of people. Replace them with band pull-aparts for shoulder health.
12/4/12 11:38 PM

Chocolate Shatner - I'd ditch the upright rows on shoulder day. Way to easy to get a fucked up shoulder from them for a lot of people. Replace them with band pull-aparts for shoulder health.

Agree on that, i done my cuff doing heavy reps but its a great exercise so i just do em fairly light now.

12/5/12 2:40 AM
Leigh
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with Chocolate Shatner again. And would use the same language - that routine is bollocks.

Good thing you said you don't want to get big - muscle growth can be out of control if you're not careful. I once did a set of 21s and gained 15lbs. In my biceps Phone Post
12/5/12 12:12 PM
likatiga

Leigh - Agree with Chocolate Shatner again. And would use the same language - that routine is bollocks.

Good thing you said you don't want to get big - muscle growth can be out of control if you're not careful. I once did a set of 21s and gained 15lbs. In my biceps Phone Post
Hmmm, I sense I'm being made fun of. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:42 PM
Leigh
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

;) Phone Post
12/5/12 3:17 PM
5pointer

Leigh -  Agree with Chocolate Shatner again. And would use the same language - that routine is bollocks.

hilarious!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.