UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> my Topps UFC Bloodlines sketch card drawings

12/31/12 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu - 

Since Bloodlines has come out, I've discovered that several card dealers do live online breaks that you can watch via video chat. It's kind of fun to sit and watch other people open pack after pack....that said, I don't know that anyone else has noticed but I'm pretty sure I've 'cursed' all the online breakers from getting any sketch cards. I've watched at least 15 cases opened from about 4 different dealers, and never once seen a sketch card come out! And if I'm unable to watch one night, I'll inevitably get a tweet that says "dude, you missed it! We just pulled one of your sketch cards!" lol.

lol thats hillarious and awesome!

12/31/12 12:10 PM
charms434
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tripleBak Big Rigged Me - Awesome man. I remember tweeting at the Topps UFC to hire you. Glad you got it, these are great Phone Post
Me too! This is awesome to see Phone Post
12/31/12 12:11 PM
charms434
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu -
Son of Neckbone - Crazy awesome.

So when you draw the original of these, they truly are card sized?

Also I love the idea that you are able to fit some of them together for a larger picture, but individually they still frame a stand alone shot.

Great work and thank you.

correct, the originals are actually what goes into the packs. I was just at the local card shop I've been going to since I was about 12, and I took in a couple of the sketch cards I got to keep to show the owner. I had told him several months ago that I was going to work on a future Topps set, but I don't think he beleived me.

Anyway, as he's looking at the Couture one, he asks "now how big are the originals?" And I said "that is the original that you're holding". It was funny watching the expression on his face change and watching him inspect the card closer to realize that was the actual drawing.

So Fedex just dropped off my boxes, super excited to rip into em!

Wait the cards aren't copies?!? That's the original ??? Phone Post
12/31/12 12:16 PM
bradu
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

charms434 - 
bradu -

Also I love the idea that you are able to fit some of them together for a larger picture, but individually they still frame a stand alone shot.

correct, the originals are actually what goes into the packs. I was just at the local card shop I've been going to since I was about 12, and I took in a couple of the sketch cards I got to keep to show the owner. I had told him several months ago that I was going to work on a future Topps set, but I don't think he beleived me.

Anyway, as he's looking at the Couture one, he asks "now how big are the originals?" And I said "that is the original that you're holding". It was funny watching the expression on his face change and watching him inspect the card closer to realize that was the actual drawing.

correct, there are no copies of any of these. The originals go straight into packs...that's why they're so hard to get, there's only 1 of each drawing.

I thought it was crazy at first, but it does seem to make each more special. I'll find out today if I'm doing a baseball set soon, and if I do, with that one the original sketch cards will go into packs but also some of them will have copies made for an insert set. That could actually be better, because more people will get the cards and hopefully it doesn't take anything away from the excitement of actually pulling the original from a pack.

12/31/12 12:17 PM
caseharts
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu -
charms434 - 
bradu -

correct, there are no copies of any of these. The originals go straight into packs...that's why they're so hard to get, there's only 1 of each drawing.

I thought it was crazy at first, but it does seem to make each more special. I'll find out today if I'm doing a baseball set soon, and if I do, with that one the original sketch cards will go into packs but also some of them will have copies made for an insert set. That could actually be better, because more people will get the cards and hopefully it doesn't take anything away from the excitement of actually pulling the original from a pack.

Awesome Phone Post
12/31/12 12:58 PM
PJ Benn Fan
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brad, I bought the matt hughes one where hes squaring off vs bj.
Cost me $85 on ebay but i dont give a shit.
They are awesome looking cards.

Btw i am chris from bmmac! Phone Post
12/31/12 1:00 PM
caseharts

PJ Benn Fan - Brad, I bought the matt hughes one where hes squaring off vs bj.

No I AM CHRIS. Phone Post
12/31/12 1:05 PM
bradu
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PJ Benn Fan -  Brad, I bought the matt hughes one where hes squaring off vs bj.

right on, I think I remember you saying there that you remember seeing my work here years ago. $85 is cheaper than almost all the others have gone for! Even Tito sold for $300.

So I gotta ask...you've got half of the puzzle card, your username is BJ Penn Fan, I assume you're planning to try to get the BJ one as well? I've heard mixed reviews of the puzzle cards as some people have said it would be too hard to get both of them, but I've also been curious if there are people out there excited at the prospect of trying to get both pieces of a puzzle.

When I was picking out which ones I wanted to keep as artist returns, a friend of mine jokingly suggested that I keep one half of all the puzzle cards. That way if someone pulled the other half and wanted to complete the puzzle, they'd have to buy the other one from me! lol, we laughed about that.

The other BJ sketch was the first one to hit ebay and sell I believe, went for $150.

12/31/12 4:29 PM
PJ Benn Fan
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu - 
PJ Benn Fan -  Brad, I bought the matt hughes one where hes squaring off vs bj.

right on, I think I remember you saying there that you remember seeing my work here years ago. $85 is cheaper than almost all the others have gone for! Even Tito sold for $300.

So I gotta ask...you've got half of the puzzle card, your username is BJ Penn Fan, I assume you're planning to try to get the BJ one as well? I've heard mixed reviews of the puzzle cards as some people have said it would be too hard to get both of them, but I've also been curious if there are people out there excited at the prospect of trying to get both pieces of a puzzle.

When I was picking out which ones I wanted to keep as artist returns, a friend of mine jokingly suggested that I keep one half of all the puzzle cards. That way if someone pulled the other half and wanted to complete the puzzle, they'd have to buy the other one from me! lol, we laughed about that.

The other BJ sketch was the first one to hit ebay and sell I believe, went for $150.

If it hits ebay for $150 or less yeah I would be interested.

Otherwise I amhappy with just the Hughes, who actually became one of my favorite fights as his career was winding down!

12/31/12 4:38 PM
KingOfFighters
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does arianny have a card? That's worth nothing to anyone who doesn't have a coaster when drinking.
1/1/13 2:03 AM
bradu

Haha, another sketch (frye) pulled today from an online break that I missed.

Kingoffighters, you'd be surprised, the ring girls are just as popular with collectors as the champions are! Phone Post
1/8/13 11:32 PM
PJ Benn Fan

Got this in the mail today. Looks even better in person.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt151/ChrisAbateMMA/MMA/HughesSketch.jpg?t=1357705243

1/9/13 9:12 AM
bradu

right on, hope you're able to track down the BJ Penn half as well!

1/24/13 2:46 AM
bradu

finally saw a sketch pulled live in front of me a couple weeks ago, and again tonight. Gotta admit it's a bit of a rush to see something I did pulled out of a pack of Topps trading cards! It quickly changed, It took so long that I thought I was the curse for online breaks, and then suddenly people are saying it's lucky for me to be present because sketches are popping up if I'm there. lol.

1/24/13 3:08 AM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the process of these? Like you do the artwork on a big canvas and the company sizes them down to trading card proportion?

Nice. Phone Post
1/24/13 3:39 AM
bradu

ANT_P1989 -  What's the process of these? Like you do the artwork on a big canvas and the company sizes them down to trading card proportion?

Nice. Phone Post

Nope each one is an original. If you get one out of a pack, that's the actual drawing...all of the drawings are trading card sized, 2.5x3.5"

1/24/13 3:42 AM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bradu, no joke, your work continues to get better and better every time. Amazing work man! Phone Post
1/24/13 3:47 AM
bradu

UGCTT_chuckles1 -  Bradu, no joke, your work continues to get better and better every time. Amazing work man! Phone Post

right on, thanks

1/24/13 3:59 AM
pegson123

Really cool mate Phone Post
2/7/13 7:01 AM
jmb73
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
2/7/13 8:40 AM
Pessimist_Pete

These are average at best. You need to work on you're shading technique, imho. Phone Post
2/7/13 8:40 AM
Pessimist_Pete

^. hope you know that's a joke Phone Post
2/7/13 10:14 AM
PJ Benn Fan

^^^^ LOL thought you were serious for a moment.

2/7/13 10:56 AM
PJ Benn Fan

Koscheck hit ebay yesterday

2/7/13 12:24 PM
caseharts

Ttt for an awesome artist Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.