UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tony Bonello's BJJ BB??

12/4/12 8:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just looking at his profile on wiki, says he has a 3rd degree BB in BJJ. Can anyone shed more light on this?
12/4/12 9:33 PM
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for any info
12/4/12 9:59 PM
Auswilliam
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 9:59 PM
Very random question about a very obscure fighter. Why do you care ?
12/4/12 10:06 PM
Kanabull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol even funnier from his Wiki page.

"He then signed with ProElite and June 14, 2008, he fought former EliteXC Middleweight Champion Murilo Rua at EliteXC: Return of the King. He was defeated via KO in round one, giving him his first loss of his career. Many argue the stoppage came too early."

Watch the fight yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4EDiWxJxs4
12/4/12 10:36 PM
Old Boxer

I think Mario Sperry gave him his brown and Paulo guimaraes gave him his black. I think he trains at Ralph Gracies gym now. He is actually really good and a nice guy.
12/5/12 1:18 AM
JBASS

Auswilliam - Very random question about a very obscure fighter. Why do you care ?

Because he is a fighter who comes from Australia, same country I am from. So I am slightly curious.

a 3rd degree black belt in BJJ is nothing to be ashamed of by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that with his loss to Ninja it seemed like he had no belt at all.
12/5/12 1:24 AM
KingD87
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apparently rich parents, 90% of his fights back home were fixed, wouldn't doubt the BB was bought too. Phone Post
12/5/12 2:40 AM
absoluteidiot
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He trained for a while at my gym back in the late 90's. absolute BJJ - Walter Mattos and Mario Sperry! Phone Post
12/5/12 3:22 AM
FatFrenchFry
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 3:27 AM
He payed him back though...
Albeit illegally...
12/5/12 3:24 AM
FatFrenchFry
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 3:30 AM
For Kanabull
12/5/12 3:31 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com

12/5/12 3:34 AM
inf0
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/5/12 4:16 AM
JBASS

absoluteidiot -  He trained for a while at my gym back in the late 90's. absolute BJJ - Walter Mattos and Mario Sperry! Phone Post

Ever roll with Tony?
12/5/12 6:52 AM
joemasepoos
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at early stoppage !! He won't mouth off at Murilo ninja ever again .
12/5/12 7:07 AM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ninja fight was a real classic !
12/5/12 7:57 AM
Fabes
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Megatherium - The Ninja fight was a real classic !

When keeping it real goes really really wrong. That fight was epic.

12/5/12 10:15 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure he did train with a number of big name BJJ fighters back in the day but Bonello was a pretty controversial figure in the Australian fight scene 5-10 years ago. He was challenging a number of the more well known Australian fighters at the time and there was a lot of suspicion about his fight record and training history. There was a strong belief that he was being given opponents with little skill/training to pad his record ( Gumgor Gumgor, T-bone, and plenty of other guys with sub .50 records) and that some of his other fights were worked. I've seen his fight against Severn and it did look like Dan took a dive which is something that Severn was well known for doing at the time (for example his fights vs Fulton).

It was about 5 years overdue but it was pretty nice to see Bonello get dominated after all the years of shit-talking and controversy.
12/5/12 10:19 AM
Shroom Haze
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FIXED FIGHTS? Phone Post
12/5/12 1:40 PM
mghan44
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People always talk about the Ninja fight when Bonnello's name gets brought up.

I think he was just trying to get himself hyped as much as anything. I have heard all good things about Tony as a person from people who have trained with him or had any experience with him. Say he is a super respectful and nice dude.

Can't hate someone for getting themselves in that mind set.
12/5/12 1:40 PM
Kobayashi

Never seen him fight, but he's got a good record , beat Hoffman and he was a BAD man. Hoffman even KO'd Overeem back in the day. Phone Post
12/5/12 1:56 PM
BaraoKix

Ninja via RapeChoke
12/5/12 2:03 PM
absoluteidiot
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBASS -
absoluteidiot -  He trained for a while at my gym back in the late 90's. absolute BJJ - Walter Mattos and Mario Sperry! Phone Post

Ever roll with Tony?
No I don't think so. I was a little white and was a big dawg.

He was seen as a badass!

I did roll with Adam Boom Boom 'Shogun' Kayoom though :) Phone Post
12/5/12 2:24 PM
jjchgo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

always happy to see guys like him get beat down...
12/5/12 2:38 PM
Kanabull

His updated Wiki page on Rua fight.

"He then signed with ProElite and June 14, 2008, he fought former EliteXC Middleweight Champion Murilo Rua at EliteXC: Return of the King. He was defeated via TKO in round one, giving him his first loss of his career. Many argue the stoppage came too early, claiming that Bonello actually fights better when he is unconscious."
12/5/12 2:48 PM
Slapsymaxi
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kobayashi - Never seen him fight, but he's got a good record , beat Hoffman and he was a BAD man. Hoffman even KO'd Overeem back in the day. Phone Post
I've never seen the fight, but that's commonly thought of as one of his 'shady' fights.

Something about Hoffman KOing him, but they restarted the fight?

Max Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.