UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Butterfly Guard

12/4/12 11:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EddyH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking of getting a dvd on the butterfly guard I've been training almost a yr. I was wondering is this a guard that is used a lot, will it be something that I will need to know, is it a good guard? Thanks for all answers
12/5/12 12:52 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MGinAction.com

You're welcome, America. Phone Post
12/5/12 5:15 AM
Khelso
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea you can't go wrong with watching some of Marcelo's butterfly stuff.

I've been playing it a lot over the past year and its become one of my best guards and most favourite to play. Having long legs like me can also help once you start getting used to the sweeps Phone Post
12/5/12 8:35 AM
EddyH

Is it better to have long legs for this guard?
12/5/12 8:41 AM
Shoco
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcelo, leo santos both completely differeent body type, great success with butterfly guard.

Charles Machado has a great dvd out on the hook sweep, lot of details.

Theodoro Canal and a lot of GFTeam use it, had a seminar and they use a different grip ive never seen were they grab the sleeve at the elbow on top, if that makes sense. Looks funky but works!
12/5/12 8:44 AM
N5Z
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EddyH - Is it better to have long legs for this guard?

Fwiw, butterfly seems to be the preferred guard for stubby legged guys that have more trouble with closed/spider stuff.  Ive got average to long legs and I love playing butterfly.  People put too much emphasis on 'body type = i should play this style' imo.

12/5/12 9:43 AM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoco - Marcelo, leo santos both completely differeent body type, great success with butterfly guard.

Charles Machado has a great dvd out on the hook sweep, lot of details.

Theodoro Canal and a lot of GFTeam use it, had a seminar and they use a different grip ive never seen were they grab the sleeve at the elbow on top, if that makes sense. Looks funky but works!

I think you mean Carlos Machado. The DVD is called "Unstoppable"

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=31583
12/5/12 11:02 AM
ChokeUBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back when I was a blue belt in 2001, I found Michael Jen's Butterfly Guard tapes to be a GREAT overview on the subject. Phone Post
12/5/12 11:14 AM
Muffinho
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have longer legs, your hook sweep is basically unstoppable. Once you get you grips it's instant. If your legs are shorter, you have a bit easier time getting into the dominant clinch positions, but you have to master the x guard as well.

Terere has an awesome butterfly guard and he's an "inbetween" or "avg" body type.
12/5/12 2:02 PM
joshjitsu

Robsons fusion 1 has a good butterfly section Phone Post
12/5/12 2:08 PM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mginaction.com srsly man..

Marcello is the man when it comes to teaching butterfly especially over video
12/5/12 4:10 PM
Christophr

Muffinho - If you have longer legs, your hook sweep is basically unstoppable. Once you get you grips it's instant. If your legs are shorter, you have a bit easier time getting into the dominant clinch positions, but you have to master the x guard as well.

Terere has an awesome butterfly guard and he's an "inbetween" or "avg" body type.

Long legs are a great asset in jiu-jitsu, but there is no "instant" or "unstoppable" butterfly guard or sweep. Everything has a counter.
12/5/12 4:47 PM
Nikem

Its a great basic guard. BTW I'm loving the belt grip with the gi, anybody else having success with that?
12/5/12 10:44 PM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muffinho,

Why do you say that "if your legs are shorter . . . you have to master the x guard as well"?

12/7/12 3:04 PM
leglockfan
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gimp - Muffinho,

Why do you say that "if your legs are shorter . . . you have to master the x guard as well"?

Because if they can get away from your shorter legs by trying to standup and pass you will need to switch to X-Guard. Butterfly and X-Guard play off one another very very well. Learn everything :)
12/9/12 7:15 AM
Soul Gravy

sub
12/9/12 7:18 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have recently been having much success with sweeps from butterfly after reading Marcelo's book. I am now beginning to start tansitioning into x and do agree that both x and butterfly compliment themselves rather well. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.