UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jackson: We've got our eyes on Hendricks for GSP

12/4/12 11:53 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

After St. Pierre's most recent victory over Carlos Condit at UFC 154 last month, Jackson appeared on Monday's edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV where the famed trainer discussed who and what is next for the UFC welterweight champion.

His words:

"I don't know [who GSP will fight next], there's certainly some really tough guys out there, I'll tell you who we got our eye on is Hendricks. The guy's got a big bomb, he's good wrestling and I think he's going to pose a lot of problems, so we've really got to keep our eye on him."

In the eyes of most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, Hendricks become the number one 170-pound contender with a brutal first-round knockout of Martin Kampmann just minutes before St. Pierre defeated Condit at UFC 154 in Montreal.

read entire article...

12/4/12 11:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poindexter
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Georges doesn't need Jackson. 

12/5/12 12:08 AM
cambeezee
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My name is Greg Jackson, and I look like a penis. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:12 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/05/12 12:13 AM
Stephen Holder - I thought GSP really wasnt fuckin with Gregory any more? Why is he acting like hes all in the loop? Wouldn't it be Zahabi who would be speaking on this subject? Lol@ this dude still tryin to get shine off of GSP.

i think this is the last fight GSP has to have Greg Jackson in his corner per their agreement,  after this i doubt we ever see him there again.

12/5/12 12:12 AM
7titofan7

Sounds like hes just trying to create a diversion from AS. If they play up like GSP actually considers hendricks a threat it might lead to an easier fight for GSP if dana buys into it. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:13 AM
kingkoopa

cambeezee - My name is Greg Jackson, and I look like a penis. Phone Post
Kinda does lol

But anyways Firas is who should be talking IMO.

Hendricks seems like a better version of Kos so I am interested in this fight Phone Post
12/5/12 12:31 AM
Joebo311

Sorry not sold on hendricks. I really think Diaz brings it to GSP like no one ever has.

Diaz bring...
Iron chin
Non stop in your face boxing.
Better cardio then gsp or any UFC fighter.
World class BJJ especially off his back.
Won't be scared and could really get in GSP head.

I really think he could sub GSP. Call me crazy I don't give a fuck. If anyone could catch GSP if Diaz.

I really don't think GSP has faced a really good aggressive striker and someone with aggressive world class BJJ like Diaz. It's either been a great grappler or striker.

Give GSP Nick Diaz if he wins then Hendricks and After he smashes Hendricks... It's Anderson silva time. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:37 AM
Pure
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 12:37 AM

Give GSP Hendricks. Or GSP vs. Nick. Either one is better if it helps the following scenario unfold.

Jones smashes Chael in April, and we have the single biggest fight in combat sports history.

Silva vs. Jones. 4th of July weekend. Dallas Cowboy Stadium.

12/5/12 12:54 AM
chris curry
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol@ that article saying jackson was one of georges main trainers. He only went there for sparring partners and gameplans. zahabi is georges main trainer. greg is always trying to get some spotlight. if gsp were to fight hendricks and lose i'd bet money jackson would try and bring him into the camp

Strategy101

I dont really understand the hate for Greg Jackson. Anytime I've ever been able to hear his instructions for fighters, they typically seem to be spot-on.

People seem to forget that it was Greg Jackson who told GSP "I dont care. Hit him with it!" in response to GSP telling him he thought he tore his groin (during Thiago Alves fight). When he could have very easily told him to just take it easy and coast (because he already had the fight sealed via decision). Every fight I've watched he's coached GSP towards finishing a fight, its merely been that GSP didnt execute and the opponents began fighting not to lose.

Firas, Phil Nurse, and Greg Jackson seemed to make one helluva team for GSP, and I never seemed to sense any sort of discord between them when coaching GSP. So I ask, why change something that has arguably made him one of the most dominant fighters of all time?

As for the specific comments towards Johnny Hendricks, I think it was less about "who" GSP should fight, but rather that Hendricks seems to the most likely contender, and probably the most dangerous for GSP (Anderson Silva excluded).

I would agree with the notion that Firas, Greg Jackson, and everyone else involved with GSP would prefer to avoid Anderson Silva (the same as Anderson would prefer to avoid Jon Jones), so I do think they're trying to keep names that "make sense" in the topic of discussion.

Nick Diaz, is probably the best blend of "name & competition" and I'd certainly be interested in the fight, but given that he's coming off a loss and suspension, it seems a bit unfair to pass over Johnny Hendricks who is on a nice winning streak against decent competition.

Of all the names in talks for a "GSP vs." fight, all of them are fights I'd like to see, so as I fan I'm excited no matter what that fight ends up being.
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/05/12 12:55 AM

^ he's a great coach.  he's got his positives and negatives though.  The rumour came out of GSP's camp at tristar.  supposedly GSP said he didnt learn jack shit from Greg Jackson on the floor (which is gregs specialty) so GSP has been going to renzo gracies academy more and he has brought in Danaher.

GSP hasnt been to new mexico for quite some time.  the condit fight was supposed to be the last fight but Greg didnt corner anyone so his next one is the last fight if the rumor is true.

12/5/12 12:56 AM
MattyECB
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joebo311 -  Sorry not sold on hendricks. I really think Diaz brings it to GSP like no one ever has.

Diaz bring...
Iron chin

I really think he could sub GSP. Call me crazy I don't give a fuck. If anyone could catch GSP if Diaz.

I really don't think GSP has faced a really good aggressive striker and someone with aggressive world class BJJ like Diaz. It's either been a great grappler or striker.

Give GSP Nick Diaz if he wins then Hendricks and After he smashes Hendricks... It's Anderson silva time. Phone Post

I disagree strongly. While I prefer a Diaz fight for enjoyment, think about the stats you cited

Iron chin won't help on points and GSP has used impeccable basics to throw opponents off balance, the one area where this might help along with his boxing is wading through GSP's use of the jab to keep distance and dictate when he transitions for TDs.

Cardio won't matter, Diaz's incredible work rate lets him outpace opponents, but no way in hell GSP tires, especially considering he'll either be on the feet with Diaz, on top, or against him on the cage.

World class BJJ won't help in my opinion either, while it might slow down GSP's cardio and stop him from transitioning to get a better sub or more brutal GnP, GSP at his best imo, in when he's using his hyperactive closed guard GnP with impreccable sub defense.

Not being scared also won't help. He'll certainly not fall under the worry about his TDs category, but realistically I don't think Condit or a lot of GSP's best opponents were scared.

Now compare it to Hendricks. GSP has shown his style is poison to aggressive Boxer/BJJ fighters, even if he can't KO them his style means he's almost always on top in points. If Hendricks can get GSP down we'll see the first time in ages where GSP has a situation non-conducive to him winning a UD.

Also, although we've already seen GSP force better grapplers in the stand up to destroy them, Hendrix has the one hit KO ability to potentially take him out.

GSP Diaz, imo, means Diaz is on the ground and likely can't stop George's TDs.

Hendricks will either be able to take GSP down, or negate his TDs/Not be able to take down GSP. The former means we might actually see GSP in a situation where he isn't dictating the fight / losing points, and the latter means there's at least a chance to eat a major bomb.

tl;dr we've seen GSP destroy BJJ/strikers, but the only time he embarasses wrestlers is if he negates their TDs and grinds them out, or purposely forces them to stand.

The route to beating GSP imo is overcoming his wrestling, and in the very least Hendro will still have the chance for a bomb
12/5/12 12:57 AM
MMALOGIC

Hendricks is the #1 contender with wins over:

Kampmann

Koscheck

Fitch

pierce

The only guy right now with a better resume of wins at 170 is GSP.

12/5/12 12:57 AM
chris curry
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh and i like Nick Diaz but GSP would wrestlefuck the shit out of him for 5 rounds and we all know that. It has been proven that Nick can not win against wrestlers

12/5/12 1:07 AM
XxLiveBaitxX
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Greg get a permission slip from Firaz before acting like GSP's primary coach?

12/5/12 1:30 AM
stonepony

Diaz has done nothing to warrant a title shot. Sorry. Diaz wouldn't beat Hendricks and he's got nothing for Georges (it would take a fluke submission).
12/5/12 1:31 AM
stonepony

MMALOGIC - 

Hendricks is the #1 contender with wins over:

Kampmann

Koscheck

Fitch

pierce

The only guy right now with a better resume of wins at 170 is GSP.

I think I always disagree with you. But yeah... It's obvious, you're right. Losing to Condit, and beating BJ 20 years ago, doesn't earn you a shot at Georges.
12/5/12 1:44 AM
alkysmurf
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks deserves it but if nick gets it I wouldn't care. that's really the biggest fight that can be put on, short of a super fight with someone either stepping up to or cutting to ww Phone Post
12/5/12 5:18 AM
Argo

Smart move by Jackson. Silva just came down 1 more pound.
12/5/12 7:03 AM
MAG

hahahahahaha at jackson wanting to sound like GSP is one of his fighters.

He's not.

And he beat Condit.

Stop trying to distance yourself from losing fighters and cling on to winning fighters.
12/5/12 7:06 AM
MAG

XxLiveBaitxX - Did Greg get a permission slip from Firaz before acting like GSP's primary coach?

Seriously - where does he get off acting the way he does.

Like everyone else - GK seemed like a good guy to me when he first hit the scene, but he is coming off creepier and slimier with every interview he does.
12/5/12 7:14 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uh, if GSP and Firas don't have a problem with the way Greg is talking... I guess that means you're a bunch of pussies huh?
12/5/12 7:19 AM
T Bag

LOL@ all the UG sheep who need to hate on Jackson for answering interview questions
12/5/12 8:58 AM
Malvert the Janitor
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know it's a business but, damn, this stuff has to burn Carlos a little bit. The head trainer at his home gym, the place he walked into when he was 15 years old, isn't talking about who Carlos has his eye on for his next fight - he's talking about the guy who just beat him.

That would burn me a bit, but I guess Carlos is just handling this like a professional. Greg needs to prioritize the guys who walk through his gym's doors everyday, IMO. Phone Post
12/5/12 9:03 AM
MadmanGadman
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatMyRashGuard -
Joebo311 -  Sorry not sold on hendricks. I really think Diaz brings it to GSP like no one ever has.

Diaz bring...
Iron chin

You are crazy, delusional and obviously one of those obnoxious, Diaz butt-huggers.

Not sold on Hendricks? 5-0 in his last 5 fights (I will concede the Kos fight was close) with 3 Knockout of the Nights in those 5 fights with 2 of them being against Top 5 WW's. Who was the last Top 10 WW fighter Nick beat? Yeah, I don't know either but it certainly wasn't Penn, Daley, Cyborg, Noons, Sakurai or any of those other weak Strikeforce guy's. How does Diaz win against GSP? Diaz does not have 1 punch knockout power...Hendricks does. A lot of people (especially Diaz fan boys) think GSP could easily outwrestle Diaz for 5 rounds if he chose...which is true. He couldn't do that to Hendricks. GSP is not only the king of ppv but the king of 5 rounders also so Diaz certainly is not going to out cardio GSP. Diaz and his BJJ? It's good but I highly doubt he would submit GSP although it's possible.

Hendrick's is clearly the more deserving and I don't know how anyone can make a case otherwise unless you are talking about the bigger draw which I will concede is Diaz but in terms of recent accomplishment Hendricks is clearly the next in line.
I am a Diaz fan, but he will get taken down for 5 rounds and smothered. Hendricks is who GSP should fight. He has quqon hi last 5 and had two awesome KO victories. Diaz is 1-1 on the UFC. He shouldn't be able to jump over Hendricks just because he has more fans. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.