UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> What other eras were as bad/worse than the PG era?

12/5/12 7:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheSwansBoingBoingedMyBaggies
520 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 7:54 AM

From what ive seen I would say the final 18 months of WCW and the New Generation Era. I hear TNA has been terrible at times but ive never followed it that much.

12/5/12 8:56 AM
mattloveslamp
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Without question 1995 was the absolute worst era in the WWE/WWF era.

Fucking Kevin Nash vs. Viscera was the main event of SummerSlam for Christ's sake. Phone Post
12/5/12 9:13 AM
520 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 9:13 AM

And dont forget WM that year being HEADLINED by erm...Bam Bam Bigelow V Lawrence Taylor. Almost 18 years later I still cant get over that.

12/5/12 11:48 AM
Winky is Wright
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WWF 1994-1995

WCW 1999-2001

WWE Raw 2002-2003ish when Trips refused to put anybody over. Phone Post
12/5/12 12:19 PM

Edited: 12/05/12 12:19 PM

Dont forget to include 1996 WWF! that was another mind blowingly bad year for them, swear they must have been close to death at that point. The product sucked balls for years.

As for WCW 99...i'm torn on whether it was as bad as todays WWE or not. It was definitely on a big time decline in terms of fan interest and felt stale as fuck, but there was still a lot of good in ring work and some talented performers there (although a lot of them left as the year progressed) and the cruiserweights were always good.

12/6/12 12:05 PM
JustPeed
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheSwansBoingBoingedMyBaggies -

Dont forget to include 1996 WWF! that was another mind blowingly bad year for them, swear they must have been close to death at that point. The product sucked balls for years.

As for WCW 99...i'm torn on whether it was as bad as todays WWE or not. It was definitely on a big time decline in terms of fan interest and felt stale as fuck, but there was still a lot of good in ring work and some talented performers there (although a lot of them left as the year progressed) and the cruiserweights were always good.

wwf 96 still had Shawn Nicheals tearing down the house putting on A+ matches for the main.event every night. Phone Post
12/6/12 12:19 PM
Wee Bey Jr
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winky is Wright - WWF 1994-1995

WCW 1999-2001

WWE Raw 2002-2003ish when Trips refused to put anybody over. Phone Post
Agreed on Raw 02-03, especially when you compare it to the product Smackdown was putting out during that same time period. Phone Post
12/6/12 12:24 PM

Edited: 12/06/12 12:25 PM
JustPeed - wwf 96 still had Shawn Nicheals tearing down the house putting on A+ matches for the main.event every night. Phone Post

There was a hell of a lot more garbage like Ahmed Johnson, The Godwinns, Sparky Plugg, the Stalker, the Executioner, Farooq as a Roman gladiator and a storyline about Jeff Jarrett lip synching his theme tune than there was good stuff like Austin, Bret and Shawn. It was the last year before the WWF finally started to push in a new direction.

12/6/12 12:28 PM
Sgt.LincolnOsiris
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Late wcw was pretty bad especially when they made David arquette champ. But I can't remember a time when I was this down on wrestling. They need to fix this shit. Phone Post
12/6/12 1:32 PM
The Destroyer88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WWWF between the 60s and early 80s is almost impossible for me to go back and watch now. If you need something to put you asleep there it is.

Both WWF and WCW in the early to mid 90s was pretty bad. Sure you had gems like HBK, Bret, Perfect, Sting vs. Vader etc etc but the bad outweighed the good.

WCW from 98 on was pretty bad.
12/7/12 1:42 AM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As aforementioned, 1995 WWF and late WCW.
12/7/12 8:18 AM
Bobcats On Booze
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mattloveslamp - Without question 1995 was the absolute worst era in the WWE/WWF era.

Fucking Kevin Nash vs. Viscera was the main event of SummerSlam for Christ's sake. Phone Post
Came here to post this and it's the very first response. VTFU when I get to a computer. Phone Post
12/7/12 9:23 PM
ArtMinaj

This era isn't perfect, but it is far from the worst.  Do people really want to hear dick jokes and shock humor in 2012?

Again, The Karate Kid is PG and it is the best movie ever.  So is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. 

12/7/12 9:24 PM
Winky is Wright
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArtMinaj - 

This era isn't perfect, but it is far from the worst.  Do people really want to hear dick jokes and shock humor in 2012?

Again, The Karate Kid is PG and it is the best movie ever.  So is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. 

Home Alone 2 was PG... just throwing that out there

12/8/12 7:23 AM

Edited: 12/08/12 8:03 AM
ArtMinaj - 

It might not be THE worst but its definitely right up there. You can count the good things about it on one hand..

Also, dick jokes and shocking humor arent the only things the PG Era lacks compared to the Attitude Era. Its inferior in pretty much every conceivable way.

12/8/12 11:03 AM
thekev1130

The period around 2002-2003 was pretty bad. Every McMahon was in a major storyline, either against wrestlers or each other. Shane was going toe to toe with Kane for Christ's sake. Stephanie was winning women's championships and Vince was beating the undertaker in buried alive matches.

This was also the time period when HHH was booked as a completely unbeatable mega monster. He was burying guys like Scott Steiner, Kane, and really everyone else.
12/8/12 1:03 PM
Driscoll
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheSwansBoingBoingedMyBaggies -
JustPeed - wwf 96 still had Shawn Nicheals tearing down the house putting on A+ matches for the main.event every night. Phone Post

There was a hell of a lot more garbage like Ahmed Johnson, The Godwinns, Sparky Plugg, the Stalker, the Executioner, Farooq as a Roman gladiator and a storyline about Jeff Jarrett lip synching his theme tune than there was good stuff like Austin, Bret and Shawn. It was the last year before the WWF finally started to push in a new direction.

I see what you're saying, but 1996 had such huge moments that I can't consider it among the worst.

Bret vs. Shawn at WM
The beginning of the Austin era and the era of fans liking the heels
Shawn's unbelievable run
Vader looking like a monster heel for a few months
Goldust's best run
HBK vs. Mankind in September
The beginning of Undertaker's evolution as a character when he broke away from Paul Bearer
Sunny being hot as shit
The first Bret vs. Austin match
Roddy Piper as WWF president
Triple H being buried. When was the last time we saw that?

I know there was a lot of crap like the Goon and TL Hopper, but that was midcard shit that was discarded after a few weeks. I was an 11-year-old kid getting into wrestling heavily for the first time, so I have a lot of nostalgia about 1996. Phone Post
12/8/12 2:52 PM
Sho_Gunn
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good post^

12/8/12 5:03 PM
roninthebox
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thekev1130 - The period around 2002-2003 was pretty bad. Every McMahon was in a major storyline, either against wrestlers or each other. Shane was going toe to toe with Kane for Christ's sake. Stephanie was winning women's championships and Vince was beating the undertaker in buried alive matches.

This was also the time period when HHH was booked as a completely unbeatable mega monster. He was burying guys like Scott Steiner, Kane, and really everyone else.
I enjoyed smackdown from 03 to about 06 Phone Post
12/8/12 6:49 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
816 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Today's wrestling is garbage dick and fart jokes have their place and shouldn't be overused but I feel like a 10 year old watching this shit. And when I say I feel like a 10 year old I don't mean that in a nostalgic this takes me back to when I was 10 way

Today's wrestling is piss poor and as I was a huge wrestling fan growing up in the Monday night wars/ attitude era even beyond that it is unwatchable and sad Phone Post
12/9/12 12:37 PM
ArtMinaj

Winky is Wright - 
ArtMinaj - 

Home Alone 2 was PG... just throwing that out there

Fair enough, but a few things.

This era saw CM Punk's shoot and then leaving with the title (though that could have been better) as well as Kane, and D Bry, and other things.

Also, could we get a break down of eras?  At least in this lifetime?

1984-? The Hogan, Savage, Steamboat era?

1990-? Warrior beating Hogan, Harts, Demolition,.....

Mid 90s era?

Attitude

What would we call the era(s) between Attitude and now?

12/9/12 1:45 PM
ArtMinaj

That is very true B.

Was just wondering, because we have defined The Attitude and PG Era.

Many feel that one was the best and the other was the worst or close to it. 

We have no real definition or timeline of the other eras, yyyyaa ya dig?

12/9/12 1:56 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
816 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

84-90 The Hogan Era
90-97 the new generation
97-2001 the Attitude Era/Monday night wars

2002-2008 What I personally cal the "New Era" with WWE name change and it being the only Major company

2008-present PG Era Phone Post
12/9/12 4:30 PM

80s: Golden Era/Rock n wrestling
90-94: kind of a deadzone, not sure what to call it.
94-96: New Generation Era/Start of the Bischoff era in WCW with him stealing lots of old WWF guys.
97-01: Attitude Era
96-98: WCW's boom period (NWO era I guess?)
99-01: WCW's decline
02-08: Ruthless Aggression Era
08- Present: PG Era

Although according to wiki we are actually now in the "reality era" and have been for over a year... Phone Post
12/9/12 5:19 PM

Edited: 12/09/12 5:19 PM
SaintVon Barksdale - Still prefer McMahon Helmsley era vs. Ruthless Aggression...which is just a name masking what it really was: the McMahon-Helmsley era. That was a shoot b.

Lol true, "ruthless aggression" never really meant anything. Its not like the product was ruthlessly aggressive compared to before. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.