UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/13/12 3:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JudOWNED
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Christmas isn't biblical."

Disagree. Angels appeared and celebrated at Christ's birth. Shepherds went to see and to worship. Wise Men came later and brought gifts. So, there's three examples from the Bible of people (or angels) celebrating Christ's birth.

"Hence it is not commandment or a requirement for salvation."

Agreed. It is not a requirement for salvation. But I have a feeling that you and I may disagree on what actually is a requirement for salvation.

"Not being a requirement means there is no value in doing it..."

Totally disagree. Plenty of things there are value in doing that do not appear in Scripture.

"Not being biblical means it is a commandment of Man not God..."

No it doesn't. I mean, it's not a command at all.

figure four, whats your faith brackground, if I may ask?
12/13/12 3:01 PM
gord96
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/12 3:03 PM
Hence it is not commandment or a requirement for salvation.

of course. no one here is saying it is.

Not being a requirement means there is no value in doing it...

There may be no 'spiritual' value in it, but other people like it to get together with family, have some time off work, etc. Then again some might get some spiritual value out of it, who am i to judge.

Not being biblical means it is a commandment of Man not God...

Agreed. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.
12/21/12 12:16 AM
TylerSG7
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - There is nothing really wrong with celebrating it. I think it's a Christian liberty. I personally prefer to celebrate the holidays, as just that, the holidays. I am one of those Christians who would like to see the Christ get taken out of Christmas.

So merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all! :)
"X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word ???????, translated as "Christ" Phone Post
12/22/12 11:19 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what would sakuraba do - It's totally biblical, and no there was no hijacking of pagan or jewish anything. . . Dec25 is the day jesus was CONCEIVED, not born. people cant read the bible. . . Eliz got preg at abijah, or june 25th. When mary conceived she ran to Eliz. Eliz says shes 6mos preg. 6 mos after june25th=dec25th.

There is no scriptural evidence when Jesus was conceived.  There are several possible ages of Jesus in the NT but noting concrete.  Many scholars differ.  The similarities between the two holidays is pretty convincing. 

12/24/12 10:56 AM
figure four
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clearly the Bible records the birth of Christ.

...But no where does it record the instances of celebrating with christmas trees, lights, exchanging gifts, and other things that are done at xmas time...

Again as I mentioned before it is UN-biblical, No Historical EVIDENCE (that Christ was born on Dec 25) and originates from Man:

Deuteronomy 12:32 (NIV) See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it.

I Corinthians 4:6 (Lamsa) These things my brethren, concerning myself and Apollos I have pictured for your sakes, that in our example you may learn not to think beyond that which is written,...

Regarding Traditional Philosophies:

Colossians 2:8 (CEB) See to it that nobody enslaves you with philosophy and foolish deception, which conform to human traditions and the way the world thinks and acts rather than Christ.

Why it is then so widely accepted by many religions:

II Timothy 4:3 (CEV) The time is coming when people won't listen to good teaching. Instead, they will look for teachers who will please them by telling them only what they are itching to hear...

----------------------

Dec 25 was chosen by Roman Empire (Aurelian from (275) 3rd Century) had celebrated the feast of the sun god (Sol Invictus: the Unconquered SUN).

To unite his kingdom he Christianized a pagan festival and called it Christmas so that Pagans and Non-pagans alike would celebrate, with a feast, with a festival of lights, with gift exchanges throughout the empire on Dec 25...

----------------------
Daily we should Give Glory to God for the birth of christ, for his sacrificial death on the cross, for the redemption of our souls, for the forgiveness of our sins... No need to wait for Dec 25....

12/31/12 3:14 PM
Juijitsuboxer
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Bible offers no instruction on eating Chimichangas or Skiing, so those activities should not be participated in as well.
3/16/13 2:44 AM
Bisping KOd by CHRIST
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

figure four - So why does it have to be on Dec 25?

Aren't you as bad as the Romans then?
Putting a Christian spin on a Pagan holiday?

So its okay to celebrate Pagan holidays because we put a Christian spin on it? Wow that seems awfully convenient...

like what catholics did to baptism...
like what catholics did to holy supper...
like...etc...etc...

Jesus wasn't born dec 25, but its amazingly easy to find out when he was. Dec25 was the day mary concieved. John was a priest during the course of abijah (june 20-25) when he was told to get his wife preg. It says 6mos later, mary concieved. Dec20-25th. His bday is sept 20-25. Boom!
5/11/13 5:18 PM
Saint Stevo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care what people do on the Xmas holiday. It's not of my faith neither it's a command that I have to observe in the bible.

However, I believe all should stay away from Xmas trees. It makes a giant grove in the world and it mocks God. Through out the Old Testament God has ordered the groves to be cut down. Yet Xmas holiday sets God (Jesus) under the tree.

This is why you shouldn't have a Xmas tree if you are a Christian

Jeremiah 10:1-4
5/11/13 5:46 PM
JudOWNED
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is saying we shouldnt because it isnt in the bible. An untenable position imo. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.