bhealthy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SAKURABA!!!
12/6/12 5:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CLINTK9

OFC - 
theshooter - "From the stories I've heard and we are just looking at '93 then I'd pick Bam Bam Bigelow or Haku. If memory serves me right '93 was pre horse meat Steiners."

A lot of the people reading this probably already know this, but Bam Bam Bigelow did one MMA match in an event called U-Japan. He fought Kimo and basically got his ass handed to him, although in all fairness, Bigelow really did not have enough training to be in there. I don't doubt that he was a strong, tough guy, but he was also pretty overweight, and even though he was surprisingly agile for a huge guy, I think that unless he lost a lot of weight, he would have been too slow and lacked too much stamina to to really very well in MMA. I think that Royce would have tired him out and submitted him. I think that Geradard Gordeau would have beaten him like he beat that big fat sumo guy. Patrick Smith would have probably beaten him as well. Ken Shamrock would have submitted him.

I like the odds of Haku/Meng in UFC 1 better than Bigelow.
I did not know that about Bam Bam fighting a MMA event in Japan. I might try to look that fight up, was always a fan of Kimo. This whole thread is full of great posts, not just your typical Tyson in UFC with sprawl training. I think all of your posts pose great points and bring a lot of historical knowledge both in MMA and Pro Wrestling. It's nice theorizing with intellectual people. Phone Post

that fight with Kimo could have went a whole lot different if no Fence grabbing was in effect. Bigelow could not get him off due to that.

btw, that was originally supposed to be Vader vs Kimo!

Vader also sigend a 4 fight deal with Pride, but it never materialized into an actual debut fight.
12/6/12 5:33 PM
Fedor219

Yokozuna Phone Post
12/6/12 5:37 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doink.
12/6/12 5:52 PM
theshooter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The Undertaker maybe"

The Undertaker is an interesting choice because he did end up developing and interest in MMA later on (he even incorporated MMA style moves into his worked pro wrestling style) and he's done some training and has gone on record as saying that if there had been more money in it when he was younger that he would have done it.

The Undertaker is a huge guy. He's around 6'10" and something like 300 lbs. He's also quite agile for a guy that size. Combine this with some MMA training and you could have a dangerous opponent.

The problem is that back when UFC 1 took place in 1993 I don't think that The Undertaker had any legitimate hand-to-hand combat training, so it would have just been a big, strong, athletic guy against trained fighters. So I'm thinking that just being big, strong, and athletic would not have been enough to beat everyone at UFC 1.
12/6/12 5:56 PM
cumprido1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either steiner brother. Kurt angle. Phone Post
12/6/12 6:06 PM
theshooter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's another guy that most American fans aren't going to know who he is (even though he's an American) how would have had the potential to win the first UFC:

Gary Albright. I'm not aware of Gary Albright ever having had any legitimate MMA matches, but he did shoot style works in UWFi in Japan, and he had a strong amateur wrestling background, plus he was a big, strong guy at like 6'3" or 6'4" and well over 300 lbs.

Here is his amateur wrestling resume (I just looked it up):

1980 Montana State Champion; 1981 Montana state runner-up (55-2 record)
University of Nebraska 58 wins – 4 losses – 3 draws

Big 8 Champion
Big 8 All-Academic team
NCAA Runner-up
Freestyle and Greco-Roman
U.S. team member from 1981–1984
1982 National Open Freestyle champion
1981 World Greco-Roman Elite champion
Member of the “Sunkist Kids” national championship team

In addition to UWFi (where he once was part of a tag team with Dan Severn), he also did regular pro wrestling in Stampede Wrestling (in Canada; Stu Hart's old promotion) and All Japan Pro Wrestling, plus he worked several small indy promotions around the world, and he also had a very short stint (like one or two matches) in ECW.

Gary Albright tragically died of a heart attack in the ring during a match on an independent card in the USA back in 2000, but he appeared to be in his physical prime (accept for the extra weight) in 1993 when the first UFC took place. Given his wrestling credentials, I think that he would have stood a chance in the first UFC.

Why didn't he do it? Once again, he was already making good money as a pro wrestler in Japan at that point, so I don't think that there was the financial motivation for him to try it.
12/6/12 6:08 PM
theshooter

"Kurt angle"

We are talking about the first UFC which was held in 1993. Kurt Angle had not crossed into pro wrestling yet at that point.

I agree that Kurt Angle would have stood a legitimate chance at winning the first UFC, but I thought that in this hypothetical we were only talking about pro wrestlers who were active in pro wrestling in 1993.
12/6/12 6:08 PM
BaraoKix

Giant Gonzalez
12/6/12 6:26 PM
theshooter

Bret and Owen Hart both had legitimate amateur wrestling background, and they were both in their physical primes in 1993, so they'd have stood a chance.
12/6/12 6:57 PM
RedRonin

Both Bret and Owen Hart would have been coached by the father, Stu Hart. Stu Hart is a legitimate Catch Wrestler with an in depth knowledge of submissions. They would submitted Royce with a crooked head scissor or a bad ass leg lock. We may have actually seen a real sharpshooter if Royce had pulled Guard.

On a side note. Billy Robinson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though he was well past his prime in 1993, he would have still ripped Royce's arm off.
12/6/12 7:09 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Craig pit bull Pittman
Hacksaw Dugan Phone Post
12/6/12 7:15 PM
CLINTK9

I heard Rick Rude used to be a badass bouncer, along with the Road Warriors too! and I'm those 3 werent any pussies.
12/6/12 7:20 PM
theshooter

"Stu Hart is a legitimate Catch Wrestler with an in depth knowledge of submissions. They would submitted Royce with a crooked head scissor or a bad ass leg lock. We may have actually seen a real sharpshooter if Royce had pulled Guard."

According to Lou Thesz, Stu Hart was a legitimate amateur wrestler, and he did have some submission skills, but he was not to the level of being considered to be a hooker when it came to submissions.

"On a side note. Billy Robinson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though he was well past his prime in 1993, he would have still ripped Royce's arm off."

If Billy Robinson had been younger in 1993 I'd agree, but by 1993 he was already way past his prime so I doubt that he could have won the first UFC.

If the UFC or something like it had been around in the 1960's or 1970's it would be been really interesting to see what Billy Robinson could have done. Same thing with Karl Gotch.
12/6/12 7:24 PM
theshooter

"I heard Rick Rude used to be a badass bouncer"

According to Curt Henning, Rick Rude developed an interest in MMA before he passed away.

I've heard that Rick Rude was a legitimate tough guy but I don't know of him having had any legitimate hand-to-hand combat training.

Still, he was 6'4" and had a lean, muscular build, and was supposed to be naturally tough, and a very strong guy.

I doubt that he'd have won UFC 1 due to his lack of training, but if he had gotten some training he could have been a real threat.
12/6/12 8:27 PM
Taz Styles
2587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigelow vs Kimo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ovOibFqM6w

Bigelow did a shoot interview in 1998 with RF video, and something along the lines of that the fight promoter came to him in his locker before the fight and offered him alot of money to lose.

I'm not sure if that's true or not but i could see why he wouldn't have a problem doing that seeing as he did it in pro wrestling, also most people probably expected him to lose.

If any of you want to see that interview it's on most wrestling torrent sites.
12/6/12 11:46 PM
theshooter

"Craig pit bull Pittman"

Good choice. Craig Pittman had a legitimate amateur wrestling background. He later went on to fight in the Vale Tudo Japan Tournament in 1995 that was featured in the documentary with Rickson Gracie called Choke.

I don't know if Pittman would have won UFC 1, but he would have stood a legitimate chance.
12/6/12 11:48 PM
theshooter

"Bigelow did a shoot interview in 1998 with RF video, and something along the lines of that the fight promoter came to him in his locker before the fight and offered him alot of money to lose"

I've got this Bam Bam Bigelow Shoot Interview on VHS and I've also got the U-Japan show on VHS where he fought Kimo, and I think that Bigelow is full of shit here. I think that Kimo kicked his ass and this was just him making excuses.
12/7/12 12:02 AM
FinestScotch

Andre the Giant, if they bumped it up a year....

12/7/12 6:02 AM
CLINTK9

theshooter - "Bigelow did a shoot interview in 1998 with RF video, and something along the lines of that the fight promoter came to him in his locker before the fight and offered him alot of money to lose"

I've got this Bam Bam Bigelow Shoot Interview on VHS and I've also got the U-Japan show on VHS where he fought Kimo, and I think that Bigelow is full of shit here. I think that Kimo kicked his ass and this was just him making excuses.

got both tapes as well, and I LOVE Bam Bam, but theshooter is correct here.
12/7/12 4:08 PM
kumikata

Bad News Allen/Brown would have had a slight chance but most likely would have lost. Gary Albright would have been tough but I think Royce takes it.

The one most likely to win would have been Antonio Inoki.
12/7/12 4:38 PM
theshooter

"The one most likely to win would have been Antonio Inoki."

Antonio Inoke would have stood a chance if he was in his prime, but by 1993 he was already past his prime, so I don't think that he could have won UFC 1.
12/7/12 6:12 PM
Taz Styles
2587 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think even some of the guys that didn't have fighting backgrounds still had a chance of getting a knockout due to size, but that chance would still be very low.

One of the main reasons Royce was so successful was that most of the other fighters then didn't know what he was doing.

I just looked at the UFC 1 fight times and all the fights add up to about 15 minutes, is that the shortest UFC PPV? i know there's more fights now but what are the shortest UFC PPVs ever for total fight time?
12/9/12 5:52 PM
theshooter

I just though of another pro wrestler who was active in 1993 who would have stood a chance at winning the first UFC.

Brad Rheingans. He was known for wrestling in Verne Gange's AWA and New Japan Pro Wrestling. He had a strong background as an amateur wrestler as he made the US Olympic team. He would have been 39 years old (about a month away from turning 40) when the first UFC show was held, which is generally considered to be past one's prime as an athlete, but it wasn't so old to where he could not have had a chance at winning. Here are his amateur wrestling credentials:

National Collegiate Athletic Association

NCAA Division I All-American (1975)
NCAA Division II Champion (1975)

Olympics Games

Olympic Games team member (1976, 1980)

12/9/12 6:51 PM
theshooter

Oh, and here's another guy who could have won. In fact, he would have stood one of the best chances of anyone mentioned so far because he was on the Japanese Olympic wrestling team in 1984 (he placed 9th place in Greco Roman wrestling) and would have been 32 years old in 1993 when the first UFC came around, which means he was probably still in his physical prime.

I'm talking about Hiroshi Hase. Hiroshi Hase wrestled in New Japan Pro Wrestling and later in All Japan Pro Wrestling. He also wrestled in Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling in Canada.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.