UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gilbert a natural 145er?

12/5/12 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fighters For Kids
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait to see this guy in the UFC. By far he has been the one who has had the most BS to deal with as far as StrikeForce went the last few years.

But he's 145er correct? Meaning that I believe he only went 155 because there wasn't at 145. He doesn't seem dried up too much at weigh ins either.

How about Gilbert vs Aldo at 145 ?! Phone Post
12/5/12 7:00 PM
Farewell Brock
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo by murder. Phone Post
12/5/12 7:30 PM
Chris27

He would be a huge addition to the FW div, if Diaz wins the LW title I wonder if he would consider the drop.

I think with guys like Guida, Gilbert, Koch, Lamas, Zombie I think that could keep Aldo in the FW div for a few more fights.

I'd love to see aldo fight Edgar and then Zombie and Gilbert.

I dont know how much he cuts to make LW but he just strikes me as someone who would struggle to hit FW. Just because he could make 143 in Shooto in 05 doesnt mean he can hit that now.
12/5/12 7:42 PM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He used to fight at 145 iirc but that doesnt mean he's a "natural" FW. People do grow.

But yeah, if Nate wins the 155 belt, im sure Gil would consider 145.
12/5/12 7:44 PM
orcus

Hasn't he often talked about fighting at 170, not 145?

He's 5'9" with a 71" reach.

12/5/12 7:46 PM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was gonna say that he's not exactly a small LW either
12/5/12 8:02 PM
Chris27

Wasa-B - He used to fight at 145 iirc but that doesnt mean he's a "natural" FW. People do grow.

But yeah, if Nate wins the 155 belt, im sure Gil would consider 145.

He fought in Shooto a few times at 143 but that was in 05 I believe.

12/5/12 10:03 PM
rioz17

He would have problems in both weight classes I doubt he can stand and wrestle with a big 155'er like gray Maynard and in the 145's he would have aldo and Edgar plus guida's lay and pray his best bet would be to bulk up hope Diaz loses and figure out how to beat grays and cerrone's stand up, Henderson and Pettis quick pace and miller's submissions
12/5/12 10:23 PM
SupesUp
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

145 with aldo, Edgar, guida, gil, and kz would be a slick division. Phone Post
12/5/12 10:44 PM
Lil P

Edited: 12/05/12 10:44 PM
<blockquote>orcus - <p><br /> Hasn't he often talked about fighting at 170, not 145?</p><br /><p><br /> He's 5'9" with a 71" reach.</p></blockquote><br />
I was coming to this thread to say the same thing. Gil has stated many times that he will end up at 170 eventually and already has a tough time making 155. I seriously doubt he could make it to Fw and still be the same fighter.
12/6/12 6:12 AM
Nexuscrawlers
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from mmajunkie:

Gilbert Melendez camp considering move to featherweight, negotiating with UFC

by Steven Marrocco on Dec 05, 2012 at 7:30 pm ET

The outcome of Saturday's title fight between champ Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz will not only impact the UFC's lightweight division, but possibly its future featherweight class.

Diaz today revealed that Strikeforce lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF) is considering a run at featherweight if the title changes hands on Saturday night at UFC on FOX 5, which takes place at KeyArena in Seattle.

Melendez trainer Cesar Gracie also told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter is negotiating with the UFC on a possible new contract.

Diaz vs. Henderson serves on the event's FOX-televised main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.

Gracie said Melendez, who currently is unable to fight due to a severe shoulder separation suffered in training for a scheduled Sept. 29 fight with Pat Healy, still has fights remaining on his Strikeforce contract, which was inked prior to the promotion's acquisition by UFC parent company Zuffa.

The trainer said negotiations are in the preliminary stages and stressed that nothing was finalized. He added that Melendez would likely stay at lightweight if Diaz is unsuccessful in his challenge of Henderson.

Diaz, meanwhile, said he could fight at lightweight or welterweight should Melendez migrate to the UFC.

"S--t don't go too well for this fight, and Gilbert Melendez is going to be champion for sure," Diaz said. "No doubt in my mind."

Gracie said Melendez is still recovering from the injury and was unsure on a timetable for the fighter's return. He most recently fought in May, when he defeated ex-champ Josh Thomson in a rubber match. He currently enjoys a seven-fight win streak.

Melendez repeatedly lobbied to cross over to the UFC when Strikeforce was acquired by Zuffa, but an agreement between Zuffa and Strikeforce broadcast partner Showtime nixed such a possibility. He was expected to fight on a Jan. 12 event, which is expected to be the final Strikeforce show, but had to again pull out due to his injury.

12/6/12 6:18 AM
demcat
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope. He had nightmares cuttin to 45 towards the end. He's a big dude. Phone Post
12/6/12 8:21 AM
Fighters For Kids

Ttt for some new blood at 145 Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.