UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shogun & his takedowns...

12/5/12 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ledepic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anybody else notice that during every fight Shogun has in the UFC, Joe Rogan will mention how it's strange or surprising that Shogun is going for the takedown?

I love Joe and I love his commentary but I always wonder how he convinced himself that Shogun is some sort of 1 dimensional/stand up only fighter...

Shogun has tried and succeeded in getting his opponent down in every UFC fight aside from the Machida fights. He was even recently able to take down Vera repeatedly, something Couture couldn't do once!

Let's see how shocked Joe is when Shogun tries to take down Gus on Saturday...
12/5/12 6:08 PM
OSBtro11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dudes wrestling is a little overlooked forsure. Phone Post
12/5/12 6:18 PM
yellow's Willin
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt he goes for the TD since Alex has been training with Phil Davis for a while now. He will stand with T Rex arms Gustaffson. Phone Post
12/5/12 6:26 PM
Ledepic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil Davis doesn't mix his strikes with takedowns with the same fluidity that Shogun does. Vera has been training wrestling with Davis for even longer than Gus has...
12/5/12 6:35 PM
slamming

It sometimes feels like Joe doesn't watch any fights to prep for an event. Shogun goes for takedowns in almost every fight. It's hardly "surprising" Joe. Phone Post
12/5/12 6:36 PM
Itsalwaysunnyintacoma
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun by right counter to the side of the dome
12/5/12 8:21 PM
Lazer MMA

Bendo Smooth'd out my Butthole 2.0 - 
yellow's Willin - I doubt he goes for the TD since Alex has been training with Phil Davis for a while now. He will stand with T Rex arms Gustaffson. Phone Post
LOL everyone trains with the best in each department..should that stop everyone from doing everything? Lmao Phone Post

He took Chuck down when only a few of us thought it would happen. If he can keep Gus down it's game over. Shogun a real good BJJ player and has great GNP.

He'll need to kick and mix up his strikes if he can not.
12/5/12 8:40 PM
EckY
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has good takedowns and trips, managd to get Rampage, Overeem and even Coleman down who are all known to have good takedown defence.  His takedown defence on the other hand isn't great.

12/6/12 2:35 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY -

He has good takedowns and trips, managd to get Rampage, Overeem and even Coleman down who are all known to have good takedown defence.  His takedown defence on the other hand isn't great.

Makes me wonder wether Gus may try and take shogun down? Phone Post
12/6/12 2:35 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ especially early on when shogun is at his most dangerous Phone Post
12/6/12 2:40 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun's top game has always been better than his striking. He has pretty good takedowns, but can't defend them at all. Kind of weird imo Phone Post
12/6/12 3:17 AM
Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think its Rogan believing that Rua is one dimensional, I think its more about him believing Rua's striking is so good, not even just good, but better than his opponents in his UFC bouts that he shouldn't even be looking for a takedown as he would be able to outstrike them on the feet.
12/6/12 4:35 AM
slamming

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Shogun's top game has always been better than his striking. He has pretty good takedowns, but can't defend them at all. Kind of weird imo Phone Post

There was a reason he was so successful in Pride with his top game...stomps, knees and soccer kicks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.