UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Please recommend some reading for me

12/5/12 7:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thefightphysician
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are some exceptionally knowledgable folk on this board, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some reading material for me.

I am a qualified doctor and enjoy physiology and pharmacology, but I am not so arrogant as to think that this makes me a dietician or a sports scientist as well.
I want to experiment next year with diets for weight loss ie paleo/ketogenic and also intelligently selecting training methods for fitness. I will also be doing MMA training 2-3x per week. Love understanding the concepts behind methods and tinkering with them.

Any suggestions on reading material? Phone Post
12/5/12 8:51 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 9:09 PM

Hey Doc,

Welcome to the S&C forum.

Lyle McDonald is a sharp guy and has some excellent nutrition books. If you are interested in Ketogenic diets, his book "The Ketogenic Diet" is all you need to read.

I would also recommend the book "Maximize your Training". It is filled with solid information on evidence based exercise. No hype or hipster trendy stuff. As the guy from Dragnet might say: "Just the facts mam".

More soon...

TAKU

12/5/12 9:11 PM
thefightphysician

Just had a look at some of stuff and it looks great, exactly what I was looking for - detailed/scientific.

Thanks man, appreciated. Any other recommendations/thoughts are most welcome. Phone Post
12/5/12 9:19 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're welcome Doc!

TAKU

12/7/12 12:13 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Block Periodization by Vladimir Issurin

Supertraining by Mel Siff

12/7/12 6:19 AM
Chocolate Shatner
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, Siff's book is like an original copy of Superman's debut in Action Comics. Those fuckers are hard to find, at least in Japan.
12/7/12 6:59 AM
thefightphysician

Thanks guys.

Taku, can I throw more questions at you?
I found Matt Brzycki's "A Practical Approach to Strength Training" for quite cheap on a local online bookstore, it's still a valuable read right?

Do you have any thoughts on how to train around the restrictions of irregular sleeping patterns? To elaborate - I'm going to be working in emergency medicine next year and will have a balance of day, evening and night shifts. I've found this messes with my recovery, and when you are working at night you tend to eat junk + caffeine for energy (excuse I know). I've also had trouble with weight training and sub-optimal hours of sleep, but I lost so much strength without it.

Does this suggest I should try more endurance/interval style sessions? I realize input over the internet is limited but any ideas on directions for a program?
12/7/12 9:48 AM
thefightphysician

Also, Supertraining looks great as well, thanks.
12/7/12 11:09 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Special strength training - Verkoshansky Phone Post
12/7/12 11:28 AM
Taku

Hey Doc,

Lot's of things to share. Drop me an e-mail so we can "talk" a bit more. Don't want to take up too much space here on the forum.

strengthonline@yahoo.com

TAKU

12/7/12 11:16 PM
thefightphysician

Thanks, will do so soon. Phone Post
12/8/12 12:15 AM
Taku

Hey Doc,

looking forward to it. Drop me a line, any time.

TAKU

12/8/12 3:40 PM
Taku

Doc,

You've got mail!!

TAKU

12/10/12 12:04 PM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 12:04 PM
Theory and Methodology of Training - Tudor Bompa

Science and Practice of Strength Training - Vladimir Zatsiorsky

Endurance in Sport - R. J. Shephard, et. al.

Those are the only three books i've ever read covering the topic and exercise science. Any other knowledge I may have is a combination of reason, logic, catching myself up on current studies, self-education of pure biology, biochemistry, neuroscience, and this forum.

Socrates believed that the accrual of wisdom was only properly done with others. That's why you've never read anything from Socrates. He never wrote anything down, and yet he is one of probably the four most well known philosophers to have ever lived, and two of the others were his students. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me, so here I am, because this is the best group of like-minded dudes on the planet.
12/10/12 12:48 PM
Whos the Bas

The Athlete's Way: Sport and Competition
Sweat and the biology of bliss. By Christopher Bergland.

A real easy read, and gets into the psychology of exercise. Aimed more towards getting folks into exercising, lots of motivational quotes, but coming from an ex double triathlete and world record holder it holds a lot of weight. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.