UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why don't mma fighters roll nogi w/ gloves on?

12/6/12 1:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kikenyoy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...even if they are rolling without striking. The gloves change the game in the cage so I don't see why they don't wear them all the time when rolling. Especially when it comes to applying the RNC, it seems like guys (including Marcelo Garcia) have a hard time finishing due to the gloves, but I can't remember ever seeing training footage of guys rolling while wearing them.
12/6/12 1:55 AM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure the good ones do.

12/6/12 1:55 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw an mma fighter rolling with gloves on recently but I can't remember who. Maybe Penn or Braulio Estima. I think it probably does happen though. Phone Post
12/6/12 1:56 AM
TheThrill
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just within the last month there was a vid of Maia rolling with Marcelo wearing gloves Phone Post
12/6/12 1:59 AM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/6/12 2:00 AM
inf0

just google imaged Aoki Submission grappling after thinking about this for a second.. exactly what I thought, the good ones.. do it

12/6/12 2:06 AM
kikenyoy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 2:07 AM
I'm not saying they never do it...but why not all the time unless they compete in nogi also? I can't remember ever seeing it during the training footage on TUF, Primetime, etc. I think it makes sense for it to be the standard way they roll, not just an occasional thing.
12/6/12 2:49 AM
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rickson was rolling with gloves in preparation for Japan Vale Tudo in 1994/1995
12/6/12 3:12 AM
Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While everyone has differing opinions on this, I personally don't feel gloves make much of a difference in grappling. I work just as efficiently while rolling with or without my gloves on. What makes the difference in MMA for rolling, as you stated are the punches, elbows or knees during the grappling.

But I'm sure many gyms or camps do use MMA gloves during rolling but I don't feel they're a necessity to rolling unless of course you feel you can come up with a plan that makes the glove an advantage to you.
12/6/12 3:21 AM
Brian McLaughlin
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A certain amount of it is confidence. If you're not hitting your go to moves as often in the gym it can mess with you mentally. Now it may in some ways make it more realistic, but less so in other ways since your opponent in the fight will also be wearing gloves your defense will be better and you can use his gloves for grip.  Also the fact that you can use punches, which is the whole point of the gloves to begin with.

Also, velcro burns are a bitch

12/6/12 3:34 AM
xpat
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 3:35 AM
Not questioning that the OP has a valid point - grappling with the gloves on is something that many do and find useful.

But even this in itself is not enough, as striking to set up submissions, and being able to control your opponent while striking, are things that need to be worked into your grappling strategy (which was probably more of an issue for Marcelo then lack of practice grappling with gloves).

So from that perspective, some feel that it is unnecessary to mix some elements of MMA and not others into grappling training - you are either training "grappling", or you are training "MMA ground work".

(Edited so as not to seem like I was referring to Brian's point)
12/6/12 5:26 AM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wore gloves alot when grappling especially training for a fight

When I trained fighters we rolled quite a bit gloves on.

It is harder to land some chokes and it's easier to escape some. Phone Post
12/6/12 8:44 AM
savage043
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They do/ thread Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.