UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Nguyen Le does Led Zeppelin

12/6/12 1:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
677 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 2:00 AM

After this gorgeous, semi-ambient guitar intro, you'll get at about 1:35 that this is a new take on "Black Dog".

Here's a guy who can do some boring records, but sometimes is magical. I think this is about six different kinds of fun.

12/6/12 10:47 PM
hugomma
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whoa...LOVED the cello-like phrasing  with the e-bow.  Le's vibrato's unbelievable. 

Where the hell do you find this stuff, Ali?!?

That dude treated Plan't vocal melody like a head.  That sinister minor riff around 2:20 in unison with the vocals was killer.  Dug his solo at started around 3:55.  Loved the breakdown at 7:20 & the eventually build up at around 10:29.  The band, hell, the vocals were killer.  Somewhere, Erika Stucky's smiling.

Thanks dude!

12/6/12 11:51 PM
Ali
677 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/12 12:28 AM
I thought of Erika, too!
I found this guy a long time ago. I'm pretty sure I checked him out because he was in a trio with Peter Erskine and Michael Benita, and that made me curious. I loved what I heard.
In this case, just yesterday a buddy of mine sent me a text that said "Nguyen Le Duos... whoa!"
And that was a response to a Nguyen Le CD I gave him something like 4 years ago. That happens. People get to it when they get to it. And I was reminded... so I posted.
12/6/12 11:56 PM
Ali

Edited: 12/07/12 12:13 AM
Le does a lot besides very "original" cover versions. But he likes his classic rock 'n roll a bunch. Sometimes he's a bit fuzak, and sometimes the whole trad Vietnamese influence overwhelms whatever he's trying to do as an electric guitarist. But sometimes he's truly great, whether doing originals or covers or just jamming. Youtube videos seem heavily weighted toward his "rock tribute"/cover records, which is not really representative. But then again, up until recently it had almost nothing. I'll take it.

Here's a Hendrix cover. Whatever you think of the vocals... (which I love, but they're not the point....) I think this is pretty great:

12/7/12 11:23 AM
hugomma
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man, look forward to more of this When/Gwen however you pronounce it guy.

12/7/12 2:12 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice one Ali! I love when performers take contemporary music and completely mutate it like this.
I didn't care much for the Hendrix medley, but I really enjoyed the 'Zeppeliny' song.
12/7/12 3:58 PM
Ali

It's the shades of Ruth Underwood, no doubt....
3/11/13 12:58 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another gem.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.