UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Epsom salt bath...

12/6/12 5:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
baby-silverback
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Educate me please, I don't know exactly what & why. Hot water, time in to soak, etc. Anything would be great, thanks Phone Post
12/6/12 10:29 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a bath so whatever water you choose. time in soaking, 15-20 minutes. 

12/6/12 7:02 PM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestlers and fighters use this to cut weight because the sodium in the bath will draw out water from your body.... So I've heard. Phone Post
12/6/12 7:48 PM
baby-silverback
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys! It doesn't help with recovery in any way? As I'm getting older, 41, I'm looking for anything that'll help. Really not up for anymore ice baths if I can help it Phone Post
12/6/12 9:10 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The epsom salts bath is good for arse grapes too.
12/6/12 11:13 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's magnesium sulfate. Magnesium is one of these holistic health items that, seemingly, has been lost to the modern Western world. It's certainly very soothing, moreso I find than regular baths even. Your skin feels very good afterwards so maybe that adds to the effect. It's definitely good for muscular aches and pains, so it may very well work for recovery along with some cold/hot contrast showers afters.

12/7/12 10:17 PM
imkeithhernandez
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use it in a super warm bath whenever I get a sprain or ache Phone Post
12/7/12 11:58 PM
baby-silverback

Much appreciated, Phone Post
12/8/12 6:11 PM
Dongbar
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I understand it, most athletes are Mg deficient, which would explain its inclusion in ZMA supplements. The epsom salt bath allows passive diffusion of Mg through the skin in to the body. Mg has the capacity to bring on a nice relaxing sleep, reduces inflammations, and is also an electrolyte utilized as a catalyst for enzymes w/in the body specifically those related to ATP.

It can also be ingested as a solution to be used as a laxative. Phone Post
12/9/12 1:59 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

I noticed that when I attended a seminar on magnesium once with Dr. Amen about it and started ingesting more Mg in yams, pumpkin seeds and even brazil nuts, almonds, etc that I began to recover better and perform better physically. Also, as you said, sleep much better :) great post Dongbar, voted up

12/10/12 2:19 AM
McGruff The Crime Hog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I soak in epsom salts after particularly hard BJJ classes and I think it helps a lot. I use a whole milk carton of the salts though. Seems to heal those bumps and bruses faster as well as makes me feel good overall. I use this a lot. I am 38 and trying to make sure I hit my 40s right. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.