UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is MMA unsportsmanlike? Nate Diaz says yes

12/6/12 10:09 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The Diaz brothers, Nick and Nate, bring a raw sensibility to mixed martial arts that is inescapably compelling. In a recent interview, younger brother Nate spoke frankly about a discipline that nearly became extinct after being branded "human cockfighting" and since turned a spectacle into the world's fastest growing sport.

"Everybody who fights tries to sell themselves as a great sportsman and competitor, a great athlete," said Nate. "We're out there trying to damage each other and finish each other. We're trying to take each other out. We both want to win by knockout or submission or some type of finish rather than decision. I think that's pretty unsportsmanlike in itself."

Is Nate right? Is MMA inherently sportsmanlike?

Nate Diaz fights UFC Lightweight champion Benson Henderson for the title on free TV Saturday night at UFC on FOX 5 live from Seattle's KeyArena on FOX at 8 p.m. ET.

Read entire article...

12/6/12 10:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
le
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just trying to condone acting the way he does. Phone Post
12/6/12 10:13 AM
BshMstr
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

verdum - that word, i do not think it means what nate thinks it means...

LOL!
12/6/12 10:32 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe Nate doesn't understand the word but maybe, in his mind, a fight is a fight.

Remember Nick saying that he can't really fight someone he "doesn't dislike" that's why, supposedly of course, he got into that small confrontation at the weigh-ins with Baby Jay.

12/6/12 10:44 AM
Olive Garden Table For One
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's unsportsmanlike. That's why fighters have to pretend to be humble for fans to like them. MMA is some cut throat shit. Phone Post
12/6/12 10:47 AM
Whambo

Some unsportsmanlike acts have been celebrated in MMA. Like Hendo's massive follow up to an already KO'd bisping was celebrated on here because people thought Bisping was a twat.

But no, Nate isn't making sense the way he describes it. Just like if I was a hockey player and made a massive hit that resulted in a injury does not mean it the hit was unsportsmanlike as long as the hit was clean.
12/6/12 11:17 AM
DJmixmasterMobbie

sports·man·ship (spôrtsmn-shp, sprts-)
n.
1. The fact or practice of participating in sports or a sport.
2. Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing

via http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sportsmanship
12/6/12 11:23 AM
sitchpack

nick diaz nut hugger - Conclusion: take the faggot smile off your face and stop pretending to be a guy's best friend before you fight him. It's competition you fucking retard, any pre-fight interaction should be tense Phone Post
This. People need to stop wrapping everything in cotton wool. Phone Post
12/6/12 11:30 AM
chaplinshouse
716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 11:35 AM

hell yes he's right.  and that's why we love it.  and that's why i am a huge diaz bro fan (they don't sugar coat and pretend).  

"ok gentlemen, we've gone over the rules in the dressing room.  any questions from you good sir?  no? ok, how about you good sir?  any questions?  grrreat.   now shake hands like gentlemen, and when the bell rings, I want you to come out and BEAT EACH OTHER'S MOTHER FUCKING ASS! understood? super"  greatest sport ever but don't pretend it's tennis.  warriors don't volley

12/6/12 11:31 AM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/6/12 11:35 AM
Diesel67
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

American's gotten too fricking soft.  Maybe something to do with too many boys not having dads at home.  My dad RIP fought in WW2 and delighted in killing Germans.  We needed more like him; I'd have run a bayonet thru some kraut's gut and laughed about it all the way home.  This new feminine mindset is affecting other countries too, and not for the better.  Rockets coming from Gaza?  Turn their stinking city into Dresden No.2.

Got your man down?  Kick/stomp the poor bastard until the ref pulls you off.  On the street, keep at him until he stops moving or the cops come.

12/6/12 11:36 AM
chaplinshouse
716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 11:35 AM

hahaha VU!! Severn^

12/6/12 11:44 AM
chaplinshouse

Othello - 
sitchpack - 
nick diaz nut hugger - Conclusion: take the faggot smile off your face and stop pretending to be a guy's best friend before you fight him. It's competition you fucking retard, any pre-fight interaction should be tense Phone Post

No, not really. You don't need to be some angry douche bag with a chip on your shoulder to fight someone. There are people that can be sportsmans before and after the fight. Just ask Lyoto Machida.

the way they view it is, someone is trying to beat your ass and humilate you in front of the world (eg: they see it for exactly what it is). they take that personal.  and yes, you kinda do need a chip on your shoulder to fight.  that's what makes guys want to fight in the first place.  if u don't have it, u won't go very far. 

true you can be a sportsman before and after the fight, but at it's core, at least before the fight, it is being full of shit.  i'm not going to shake hands with a guy that's out to humiliate me in front of my family, on film, to be replayed forever.  if we're having a punt/pass/kick competition, different story

Hansumboy

nick diaz nut hugger -  Conclusion: take the faggot smile off your face and stop pretending to be a guy's best friend before you fight him. It's competition you fucking retard, any pre-fight interaction should be tense Phone Post

So I guess losers like Anderson Silva and George St. Pierre are doing it wrong then. Maybe you should go tell them.
Lazer MMA

nick diaz nut hugger - 
You're supposed to be angry. It's a fucking fight Phone Post

Um, no not at all.

Look at Fedor.

"Forget about winning or losing, forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you shall smash into his flesh. Let him smash into your flesh and you shall fracture his bones, let him fracture your bones and you shall take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely, lay your life before him." - you should know who
12/6/12 11:46 AM
Anderson P Sonnen
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see what he means, but no. Being competitive and being sportsmanlike are two different things. Being unsportsmanlike is flipping the bird and completely disrespecting your opponents skills LOL!

Still a fan for life though. Phone Post
12/6/12 11:49 AM
chaplinshouse

Lazer MMA - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

Um, no not at all.

Look at Fedor.

"Forget about winning or losing, forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you shall smash into his flesh. Let him smash into your flesh and you shall fracture his bones, let him fracture your bones and you shall take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely, lay your life before him." - you should know who

isn't that Lee quote the exact opposite of Fedor? pretty gangster if u ask me

12/6/12 11:49 AM
Bwatermyfren
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta agree with Nate.
Even though I love the sport.
At the end of the day ur trying to do as much damage to the other person as possible.

In other non combat sports it's totally different IMO, you might tackle some1 and hurt them like in the NFL.

But the difference to me is your not trying to hurt the person intentionally, your just doing ur job for the team, trying to stop them from running over a certain line onna field, and if you get hurt or hurt the other player that's a side effect!!
That wasn't their main goal.

But with mma the hole goal is to hurt the other person as much as possible until they cannot continue anymore. Phone Post
12/6/12 12:09 PM
Lazer MMA

chaplinshouse - 
Lazer MMA - 
nick diaz nut hugger - 

Um, no not at all.

Look at Fedor.

isn't that Lee quote the exact opposite of Fedor? pretty gangster if u ask me

Interesting, how so? If you like it V it TFU. TY
12/6/12 12:13 PM
Lazer MMA

Well I watched UFC 1 because of how close it was (was supposed to be) to 'real' fighting. MMA is not what it 'was' but is still the closest sport to 'real' fighting. It is still too close IMO to be too "sportsmanlike".

12/6/12 12:27 PM
Lazer MMA

I LOL'd Irish
12/6/12 12:27 PM
Zaph
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Othello -
sitchpack - 

No, not really. You don't need to be some angry douche bag with a chip on your shoulder to fight someone. There are people that can be sportsmans before and after the fight. Just ask Lyoto Machida.
I don't think there's one single right answer that applies here. If someone needs to hate their opponent in order to fight them, then let them do their thing. If someone can take a kinder, more respectful approach and still be able to kick ass when the fight starts, more power to them.

I'm in it to see fights. I leave each fighter's indivitual mindset entirely up to them. Phone Post
12/6/12 12:30 PM
notsobigmike
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JakodaRay - IMO, hitting a man while he's down and stunned is as unsportmanslike as it gets. Jackie Chan commented on it and said that he doesn't like MMA because of it.

"Martial arts is about respect. When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down] stop. Don’t fight. That’s not the spirit. When you’re down, I’ll grab you up. Are you okay? Should we continue? That’s the martial arts spirit. That’s what I want."

I agree with Jackie, it's not respectful. Still love MMA though.

I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan, but I think he's totally off-base here.

Ground fighting is a part of martial arts. If it's a boxing/kickboxing match, sure, I'll let the guy up.

But it makes absolutely ZERO sense to just stop fighting when you stun a guy or floor him in any kind of free- environment.

Hell, I've seen plenty of karate/TKD sparring matches where guys throw "ghost" follow-up punches to a floored opponent. Is that more "sportsmanlike?" Because it's also ridiculously unrealistic and useless, which runs counter to what martial arts is supposed to be about.

To me, sportsmanship is following the rules (even if you know you could get away with cheating), and treating your opponent with the same respect you'd expect to be treated with.
12/6/12 12:30 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

le -  Just trying to condone acting the way he does. Phone Post

He doesn't need to "condone" anything. He is who he is.
12/6/12 12:32 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor was unbeatable when he viewed the man across from him as one that wanted to return him to the poor old days. God loving fedor not so much Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.