UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Comicbook Pet Peeves

12/6/12 12:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ValeTudo020
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just had a discussion with a friend about some of the things I hate seeing in comics.

In writing, I hate seeing most attempts at being gritty and fourth wall humor. I just feel a writer is being lazy when they attempt a gritty story (especially using a "non-gritty" character) or fourth wall humor. I'll admit (and it could be blasphemy), I'm not a huge fan of Deadpool. He's tolerable in Uncanny X=Force but in hie own book I feel there is a lot of "Hey guys, look I'm in a comicbook! Look how stupid this situation is!" It just comes off as lazy when the punch line involves the character pointing out the humor to the reader.

And gritty is pretty played out. I think it's kind of lazy to have a character kill just to make them "darker." Well done "dark" stories like Kraven's Last Hunt are incredible but if a writer would have Spider-Man kill just to make a "gritty" story...COME ON!!!

In art, I hate rushed work from good artists. I don't mind JRJR too much. He can't draw faces but overall, I think he's a good artist. However, the art in the first few issues of AvX was terrible! JRJR can do a lot better but it was clear Marvel was like "Hey JRJR! I know you can turn a product out quickly because you're doing 10 books already so can you do the first 4 issues of our major crossover in 3 days?" Oh and I hate unnecessary pouches, muscles, guns, and swords...just like everybody else.

So GG, what are some of your comic pet peeves?
12/6/12 12:41 PM
matt murdock
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like there's a lack of good fights in comics. There's often a big build up to a fight but very rarely a serious back and fourth battle. For example, aside from Sentry vs Ares (short fight) we really didn't see a blow for blow fight between Sentry and anyone during Dark Reign.
12/6/12 12:41 PM
Stickgrappler
1420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My pet peeve are geeks complaining about attempts at being gritty and fourth wall humor and complaining about rushed work from good artists

JUST KIDDING!

My pet peeves:

constant cross-overs in other titles i don't care about

geeks complaining about Rob Liefeld's Mooby Captain America when Joe Quesada had a Mooby Cap also.

12/6/12 12:45 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Body switching heroes gaining memories of banging the crap out of their aunt's. Totally tired of seeing that shit.

Also, genius kids whose last names aren't Richards, the annual events that suck, making changes instead of creating stories (see: The Amazingly fucked in the ass repeatedly Spiderman).

And most of all, MEANIES THAT BUMP THE INVINCIBLE THREAD, NOT NAMING ANY BIGWILLIAM NAMES!
12/6/12 12:46 PM
Stickgrappler
1420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - Body switching heroes gaining memories of banging the crap out of their aunt's. Totally tired of seeing that shit.

Also, genius kids whose last names aren't Richards, the annual events that suck, making changes instead of creating stories (see: The Amazingly fucked in the ass repeatedly Spiderman).

And most of all, MEANIES THAT BUMP THE INVINCIBLE THREAD, NOT NAMING ANY BIGWILLIAM NAMES!

lolololol

12/6/12 12:54 PM
ValeTudo020
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - 
Lymond - Body switching heroes gaining memories of banging the crap out of their aunt's. Totally tired of seeing that shit.

lolololol

The Aunt May sex panel will make ASM 699 worth thousands in a few years! Thousands I say!
12/6/12 2:03 PM
BigWilliam
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What? I would never...
12/7/12 8:24 AM
danny A
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fucking bar code on the cover. Some much great work is ruined by that bullshit. Sure give me the company logo and issue number, but please don't tell me that garbage has to go on the front. Every book and other items in stores put it out of sight on the back.
12/7/12 8:35 AM
Last Don
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ValeTudo020 has become the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

I don't like people that idolize Spiderman (who is renowned for being the first character to break the fourth wall), yet despise Deadpool for the same thing.

If I knew anyone like that, I'd totally call them on it....
12/7/12 10:36 AM
BigWilliam
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't read a ton of Spiderman, I didn't know he did that.

I don't dislike Deadpool for talking directly to the audience, I dislike the way they took something funny and handed it to a dozen HACK writers in a shameless attempt to put an endless supply of Deadpool books on the shelves.
12/7/12 10:55 AM
paw
1352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - I don't read a ton of Spiderman, I didn't know he did that.

I don't dislike Deadpool for talking directly to the audience, I dislike the way they took something funny and handed it to a dozen HACK writers in a shameless attempt to put an endless supply of Deadpool books on the shelves.

All companies do that I that's something I dislike. 

Oh, look, Batman's popular, let's have 3 solo titles, have Batman in a team book and have a couple of crossovers with other books (Court of Owls, Death of the Family) during the year.....wash, rise, repeat with Spider-Man, Wolverine, Superman, etc....  (Although to be fair, there hasn't been a Wolverine or Spider-Man crossover in a while, or at least not one I can think of...but I'm sure there will be, eventually).

12/7/12 11:27 AM
BigWilliam

Yes, it certainly is nothing unique to Deadpool. Both major companies do it with anything popular. Because it's not the WRITING, oh no, an executive could never cope with the idea a talented staff member made something popular. It's the character and any monkey with a type writer could generate sales with THAT character.
12/7/12 11:41 AM
Stickgrappler

Didn't Grant Morrison's Animal Man do something beyond breaking the fourth wall? The series is on my to read list, haven't gotten to it yet.

12/7/12 11:46 AM
paw
1352 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - 

Didn't Grant Morrison's Animal Man do something beyond breaking the fourth wall? The series is on my to read list, haven't gotten to it yet.

IIRC, broke the fourth wall and met Grant Morrison.

12/7/12 12:03 PM
Stickgrappler

thx paw!

last issue if memory serves, something like they were cxl'ing the series.

12/7/12 2:25 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1009 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHEN THEY KILL A CHARACTER JUST TO BRING HIM BACK 3 MONTHS LATER (COINCIDING WITH THEIR MOVIE RELEASE NO LESS) 

GAY AND OVERDONE..........YES SPIDERMAN WRITERS I AM FUCKING LOOKING AT YOU.

12/7/12 2:30 PM
Last Don
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BIGWHITESEXY - 

WHEN THEY KILL A CHARACTER JUST TO BRING HIM BACK 3 MONTHS LATER (COINCIDING WITH THEIR MOVIE RELEASE NO LESS) 

GAY AND OVERDONE..........YES SPIDERMAN WRITERS I AM FUCKING LOOKING AT YOU.

This x 1000
12/7/12 6:36 PM
ValeTudo020

Last Don - ValeTudo020 has become the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

I don't like people that idolize Spiderman (who is renowned for being the first character to break the fourth wall), yet despise Deadpool for the same thing.

If I knew anyone like that, I'd totally call them on it....

Spider-Man doesn't address the reader directly when he comments on absurd or cliched moments. He really does not break the 4th wall like She-Hulk (not sure if she still does) and Deadpool do. My gripe is not with the type of humor but rather when a writer uses the tactic for a cheap/easy laugh. And I think it goes back to what BigWilliam was saying. It probably stems from Marvel saturating the Deadpool market and you'll get writers attempting to recreate past success by basically recycling punchlines in order to crank out as many stories as possible.
12/7/12 7:22 PM
Zenoplata
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When they turn all the normal characters into villains or superheros.

Really? Rick Jones has to become a gamma monster? Oh look, Jimmy Olsen got possessed by a demon again.

12/7/12 8:29 PM
Last Don

ValeTudo020, I'm just messing with you!

We had this exact same debate in the gym last week! Just accept that your idol does the same thing. It's ok.

You don't see CPT America doing that nonsense. Phone Post
12/7/12 9:02 PM
RedDragonUK
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Songs in comics, I can't hear the song so dont write the words.

Artists who sign interior pages, STOP IT! Completely takes me out of the story, I dont care if you want to sell the pages after.

Saturated market and multiple titles for characters.

Scott Lobdell and Dan Slott's writing

Greg Land, John Rauch,Rob Liefeld Art
12/7/12 10:20 PM
CursedHand
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was a kid I was always disappointed when the front cover would look really exciting, but then turn out to have no relevance to the story that month. Or when the cover was really well drawn but inside was penciled by a completely different and mediocre artist.
12/7/12 10:46 PM
ValeTudo020

CursedHand - When I was a kid I was always disappointed when the front cover would look really exciting, but then turn out to have no relevance to the story that month. Or when the cover was really well drawn but inside was penciled by a completely different and mediocre artist.

You must have really hated Silver Age DC! Not a single cover pertained to the story inside.
12/8/12 12:28 AM
CursedHand
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ValeTudo020 - 
CursedHand - When I was a kid I was always disappointed when the front cover would look really exciting, but then turn out to have no relevance to the story that month. Or when the cover was really well drawn but inside was penciled by a completely different and mediocre artist.

You must have really hated Silver Age DC! Not a single cover pertained to the story inside.

lol, i was thinking of a DC one when i wrote that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.