UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ @ the press conference

12/8/12 2:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IvanS61
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War BJ! Phone Post
12/8/12 4:06 AM
DethKlok
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just_Scrap -  I hope BJ destroys this guy! Rory seems like such a pretentious asshole. WAR BABY JAY! Phone Post

BJ Penn has more insufferable, irritating theatrics in his fingernail than all of tristar put together.
12/8/12 4:14 AM
SUPER HLUK

So excited for this fight.
12/8/12 12:43 PM
newjack900
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn BJ why couldn't this fight be at 155 v a guy like Pettis?.. I mark out for BJ too much to see him take the damage he's gonna take tonight..
12/8/12 7:39 PM
SMS89
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait wait wait....

Are they showing the walkouts now?!

The Yves/Heathen fight is the first prelim I'm catching and they are showing the walkouts.

Yes! We better get to see BJs walkout after all!
12/8/12 7:56 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They better show the BJ walkout.

12/8/12 8:43 PM
SMS89
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking Bastards... Phone Post
12/8/12 9:03 PM
Sgt.LincolnOsiris
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sgt.LincolnOsiris -
fapout -
Sgt.LincolnOsiris - 
fapout - anyone up for a s/n bet? I'll take Rory...how about you, threadstarter? 30 day.
I'll be your huckleberry. BJ all day. Phone Post

sorry, I missed your post...deal!
Cool. This fights gonna be great. Phone Post
Damn it. Let me know what it is. Phone Post
12/9/12 9:22 AM
Sgt.LincolnOsiris
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fapout - Roryfappedonmyface

not too bad
Haha alright. Se Phone Post
12/9/12 9:22 AM
Sgt.LincolnOsiris

Sending name change request now Phone Post
12/9/12 12:25 PM
Roryfappedonmyface

Checking in. Phone Post
12/9/12 12:33 PM
MolsonMuscles
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^LMFAO

Good on you for manning up, Sarge.
12/9/12 12:47 PM
nineohfive

I LOVE IT.

greetings to the nutty BJ fans, any reality yet?
12/9/12 2:45 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're not nutty,we're passionate.

12/9/12 2:58 PM
nineohfive

The Unabomber was passionate too.

Goodbye BJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/9/12 6:16 PM
Moke
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 6:46 PM
nineohfive - I LOVE IT.

Think about this: there is thinking and there is doing. What you don't seem to understand is, people like him for what he does. And what he does is something that you apparently can't even comprehend or think about.

The reason BJ has has had amazing success, amazing fights, as well as spectacular failures like last night, is because he dreams of, and peruses GREATNESS.

He puts himself in those positions where success will bring ultimate triumph, and failure can bring a terrible beating and price.

Think about this...there are two kinds of fighters: ones that carefully select opponents, and ones that will fight whoever Joe Silva puts in front of them. You can categorize all fighters in these two ways. But there is a third category that only BJ occupies.

BJ doesn't fight only safe opponents, nor even the ones Joe Silva wants him to fight. BJ only wants to fight the absolute best and most dangerous guy there is. As a WW he held out for fights with Hughes, GPS, and Diaz. If he lost to them, he wanted to fight them AGAIN. As a LW, he would only fight Snachez, Sherk, Gomi, Uno, Stevenson, Pulver, Florian all when they were in their primes and BJ was the underdog.

He stepped up and out to fight Renzo, Rodrigo, and Machida etc...

You don't achieve greatness without taking these kinds of risks. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

12/9/12 6:34 PM
kingkoopa

Moke -
nineohfive - I LOVE IT.

Think about this: there is thinking and there is doing. What you don't seem to understand is people like him for what he does. And what he does is something that you apparently can't even comprehend or think about.

The reason BJ has has had amazing success, amazing fights, as well as spectacular failures like last night, is because he dreams of, and peruses GREATNESS.

He puts himself in those positions where success will bring ultimate triumph, and failure can bring a terrible beating and price.

Think about this...there are two kinds of fighters: ones that carefully select opponents, and ones that will fight whoever Joe Silva puts in front of them. You can categorize all fighters this way. But there is a third category that only BJ occupies.

BJ doesn't fight only safe opponents, nor even the ones Joe Silva wants him to fight. BJ only wants to fight the absolute best and most dangerous guy there is. As a WW he held out for fights with Hughes, GPS, and Diaz. If he lost to them, he wanted to fight them AGAIN. As a LW, he would only fight Snachez, Sherk, Gomi, Uno, Stevenson, Pulver, Florian all when they were in their primes and BJ was the underdog.

You don't achieve greatness without taking these kids of risks. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Great fucking post. People who just look at record fail to see this Phone Post
12/9/12 7:49 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, Moke, that's one way to spin it.

Another way to spin it is that BJ doesn't like to put in the amount of work it takes to get down to 155 and stay there, so he continually asks for fights at WW. Apparently, his fans are appreciate this over actually winning, because it means that their fighter is much braver and more manly than everyone else in the whole wide world, raising him to demi-god status despite his dismal 1-6-1 record fighting at any weight above LW.

Regardless, I have a lot of respect for BJ since he admitted  that all  the negative things said in the past about his lack of focus, poor attitude, lacadaisical training, and yes-men coaches  were essentially true.

That tells me that he's finally in a place where he can look at himself critically and find fault. Too bad it took so long.

12/9/12 8:31 PM
Moke
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, talk about spin.

Yes, fighting guys like GSP, Rory, and Machida is so much easier than dieting.

And even if you say yes, why would he demand the toughest guys in every weight class as opposed to a careful selection process insuring wins? Because what I said is true.
12/10/12 12:34 AM
mmavixen

I think BJ deserves a lot of credit for fighting someone like Rory.  I'm sure he could have picked an easier fight.  The guy has a huge fanbase and the UFC would have obliged. 

12/10/12 12:58 AM
nineohfive

kingkoopa - 
Moke -
nineohfive - I LOVE IT.

Think about this: there is thinking and there is doing. What you don't seem to understand is people like him for what he does. And what he does is something that you apparently can't even comprehend or think about.

Think about this...there are two kinds of fighters: ones that carefully select opponents, and ones that will fight whoever Joe Silva puts in front of them. You can categorize all fighters this way. But there is a third category that only BJ occupies.

You don't achieve greatness without taking these kids of risks. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Great fucking post. People who just look at record fail to see this Phone Post

I understand completely what he DID.

I watched the fights, I know the vibe or the height his oppoents were at when they all went down. BJ did great things. My post is more directed at the die hard BJ Penns who don't wanna accept reality. BJ hasn't been good in a long time. These fans remember that vibe, they want it back badly but don't realize it's been gone a long time.

'BJ is gonna kill this kid'

I don't care if BJ went up and fought bigger people. He also didn't get himself in proper shape half the time, choosing to believe he was just better than them and paying for it.

That's what I mean by reality.
12/10/12 1:11 AM
funwithbakedgoods

"BJ is still top ten p4p"

-delusional fans
12/10/12 5:16 AM
Moke

Edited: 12/10/12 5:24 AM
I don't care if BJ went up and fought bigger people. He also didn't get himself in proper shape half the time, choosing to believe he was just better than them and paying for it.

That's what I mean by reality.

Perception doesn't equal reality. The reality is, BJ radically changed his fight strategy leading up to this fight. A strategy people here and everywhere had been begging him to adopt for years. I too agreed with this new strategy, but it turns out that for Rory in particular, it was possibly the wrong strategy. Either way, it's why you saw Penn not getting off or taking advantage in the striking like you'd normally expect.

What you saw was BJ taking a beating and so your perception is that he must suck now. Again, that's only a perception from where you sit.

12/10/12 5:17 AM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love bj but he either needs to retire or completel overhaul his training. He also suffers from the same thing as shogun, where his hardcore fans are so over the top in love with him and overstate his accomplishments so much that it causes a backlash against him.

In saying that the man is an absolute warrior and legend of the sport. Which makes it even more heartbreaking to see him get viciously beaten by a creepy metro Canadian who looks like the stalker in a serial killer flick Phone Post
12/10/12 10:50 AM
Ryan Black
520 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

funwithbakedgoods - "BJ is still top ten p4p"

-delusional fans
Serious question:

If you consider "Pound-For-Pound" to be fighters who've taken fights with clearly larger men; where they are at a clear and distinct weight, strength, height, reach, power, and general size-disadvatage, then... how couldn't you place a two-different-division UFC Champion (one of two,) still active in fighting top 5 guys in a weightclass above his- during a period of time in the sport where that is almost unheard of- in the top ten?

BJ Penn has the heart of a warrior; regardless of his record I truly believe this is what he'll go down for. Just like Liddell; whom I believe will go down for his highlight reel wars & KO victories based on Chuck's dominance alone- rather than the dismal-ending to his career.

I will always be a BJ Penn fan- just like I'll always be a Vitor fan. Vitor is a warrior, a legendary MMA fighter and a great man; BJ has a heart of legend, and the warrior spirit of those which we consider to be the all-time-greats. He is also someone who seems very, very cool in person & to be a great family man.

He also whooped-asses on a nightly basis in the beginning pivotal-age of the UFC's developmental stages. I have a lot of respect for a guy who has done what this man has accomplished and still fights the best to this day.

The entertainment BJ Penn has provided me with could fill a three-disc blu-ray boxed set that I pray to the MMA Gods that the higher-ups at Zuffa see money in producing.

Until then, with the way I interpret the controversial definition of "pound-for-pound," he will remain in that discussion for years to come. Not as "number one," but as a guy who made no bones about making it known that he wanted to achieve greatness fighting the best and would fight any one of the best at any time at seemingly any weightclass. I make no bones about Rory's dominance and my respect for him as a fighter, but I'm simply not a fan of the guy, personally. I will always be a fan of "The Prodigy" BJ Penn. And you can call it delusional... that's just me being passionate, I guess. :) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.