UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> MacDonald: Penn fighting for the wrong reasons

12/6/12 4:11 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Rory MacDonald stared straight ahead, his delivery startlingly cold.

"I think (B.J. Penn) is fighting for the wrong reasons, and it's going to get him hurt," he said bluntly. The follow-up question was too obvious, he knew he left it out there. Why exactly is Penn fighting for the wrong reasons? The answer was simple.

"Because I'm fighting to hurt him. I'm not fighting for someone's opinion."

MacDonald went on to explain his point. "He's fighting for status, something that isn't real. People's opinions, he wants to change people's opinions. Maybe he doesn't realize that those things are not real.

"Opinions are valid. But the status of someone, someone places a status over your head, like B.J. being a legend. Now that they're not saying it, he's upset about it. Maybe he should've learned that it's fickle."

read entire article...

12/6/12 4:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeVIP
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something about Rory rubs me the wrong way. I don't usually cheer for anyone just for good fights. But I'm going to be pulling for BJ saturday.
12/6/12 4:16 PM
91W209
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still on the fence on rory. But I like his confidence. He's fucking ready. Phone Post
12/6/12 4:20 PM
Pat Giles
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh he's gonna learn what it's like to be humbled on Saturday night. Phone Post
12/6/12 4:33 PM
EG6
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

91W209 -  I'm still on the fence on rory. But I like his confidence. He's fucking ready. Phone Post

There's a difference between being confident and being cocky. I think he's passed that line with all these comments leading up to the fight.

Say what you will about BJ, but there's no denying that he's a legend in this sport, and deserves respect.
12/6/12 4:34 PM
AyyAnt
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EG6 - 
91W209 -  I'm still on the fence on rory. But I like his confidence. He's fucking ready. Phone Post

There's a difference between being confident and being cocky. I think he's passed that line with all these comments leading up to the fight.

Say what you will about BJ, but there's no denying that he's a legend in this sport, and deserves respect.

Hes not trying to disrepect BJ... hes trying to sell a fight.. helax~

12/6/12 4:34 PM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 4:34 PM

I agree with what he said though......people are fickle and they will hold things over your head.

12/6/12 4:37 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Considering he usually looks kinda nerdy, the pic of Rory on the front page kind of makes him look like the guy who played Captain America.
12/6/12 5:12 PM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ fights for much different reasons than most fighters....

i'm a big fan of Rory, but BJ's a different breed.
12/6/12 5:17 PM
Silverball
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AyyAnt - 
EG6 - 

Hes not trying to disrepect BJ... hes trying to sell a fight.. helax~

It's the opposite, BJ is trying to sell the fight and Rory is being disrespectful, but I'm not totally convinced that he (Rory) realizes the tone of some of his comments.

Here's BJ admitting that the comments about legacy, etc. were (in large part) an attempt to sell the fight: http://youtu.be/deeNJ3LbUIM
12/6/12 5:22 PM
Argo

Gotta be pretty naive to not see that Rory is building the fight.
12/6/12 5:31 PM
Silverball
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Argo - Gotta be pretty naive to not see that Rory is building the fight.
I'm more willing to believe that Rory almost fought his best friend over a pair of red pants than I am any claims that he's attempting to build interest in the fight by making disrespectful comments about his opponent ala Chael Sonnen. The main card is stacked, on FOX, in primetime. Rory is most likely just showing his age, and is maybe even a little oblivious about the way he comes off in interviews. Phone Post
12/6/12 5:37 PM
wms
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who cares why bj is fighting as long as he is fighting. I believe any motivation is good motivation. Whatever fires you up, whether thats to be the champion, make money or to simply wipe the floor with someone.If it gets you to go to the gym and perform, i'll be happy.
12/6/12 5:37 PM
UGCTT_NKTKDace
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball -
Argo - Gotta be pretty naive to not see that Rory is building the fight.
I'm more willing to believe that Rory almost fought his best friend over a pair of red pants than I am any claims that he's attempting to build interest in the fight by making disrespectful comments about his opponent ala Chael Sonnen. The main card is stacked, on FOX, in primetime. Rory is most likely just showing his age, and is maybe even a little oblivious about the way he comes off in interviews. Phone Post
This Phone Post
12/6/12 5:43 PM
buckshot44
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hory gonna get choked out.. oooh ya!!
12/6/12 6:21 PM
FatBuddha
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rory's logic is flawed anyways. Why on Earth would it matter whether what BJ is fighting for? All it should matter is that what he's fighting for motivates him. I.e. he could be fighting for his wife's love, but his wife doesn't really love him. Who cares? It's not what's real. It's what he believes is real and whether that motivates him. Stupid thing to talk trash about anyway.
12/6/12 6:33 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

I agree 100%. This was my exact reaction when I watched the (was it Primetime?) episode on Fox. BJ Penn comes off as a guy obsessed with reliving the years when everyone kissed his ass.

He's not just going to lose, he's going to get hurt. Rory is not the right fighter to go in against with the wrong motivation.
12/6/12 6:38 PM
ABE FROMAN

FatBuddha - Rory's logic is flawed anyways. Why on Earth would it matter whether what BJ is fighting for? All it should matter is that what he's fighting for motivates him. I.e. he could be fighting for his wife's love, but his wife doesn't really love him. Who cares? It's not what's real. It's what he believes is real and whether that motivates him. Stupid thing to talk trash about anyway.

12/6/12 6:48 PM
KZTT_W85
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wms - Who cares why bj is fighting as long as he is fighting. I believe any motivation is good motivation. Whatever fires you up, whether thats to be the champion, make money or to simply wipe the floor with someone.If it gets you to go to the gym and perform, i'll be happy.
This is spot on. It makes absolutely no difference what motivates you. The hard thing in life is being motivated to do some things.

It doesn't matter if everyone else thinks it's total crap, if it motivates that person then that's brilliant.

Money, pussy, fame, security, legacy are all motivating factors. What works for one doesn't work for someone else, as long as you find something to motivate you then you're on the right track. Phone Post
12/6/12 7:23 PM
catgobling

digitdigit - He'll have a 30lb advantage, so of course he is cocky.

12/6/12 11:30 PM
Brian J DSouza

Rory has a great quote here, that applies to much more than fighting.

He made me a fan for life.
12/6/12 11:40 PM
Ironclad

FatBuddha - Rory's logic is flawed anyways. Why on Earth would it matter whether what BJ is fighting for? All it should matter is that what he's fighting for motivates him. I.e. he could be fighting for his wife's love, but his wife doesn't really love him. Who cares? It's not what's real. It's what he believes is real and whether that motivates him. Stupid thing to talk trash about anyway.

I agree. Perception is everything. There have been plenty of cases where people are motivated to do things based on complete lies. Sadly, 9/11 comes to mind. Back on topic, if BJ's physique is any indication, I'd say motivation isn't a problem for him this time around.
12/7/12 12:06 PM
UGCTT_NKTKDace
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CREamed_by_DongJ - I said this exactly on here, BJ Penn is fighting for ego and he's seriously at risk.

Rory Macdonald is fighting because it's his job and he's in his prime..
You are such a douche. Like you have any clue at all.

"Well Rory said it."

lol at you Phone Post
12/7/12 12:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP says he fights for his legacy, wants to be the best ever lol. I'm not following Rory here, what is wrong with trying to become the best ever? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.