UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> the compound in Georgia?

12/6/12 9:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
awesomestprime
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have any experience with their youth programs.

I'm looking for a club for my son and their facility in buford is a decent location for me
12/10/12 7:56 AM
ChipW
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, its a great club.  The Buford location was recently bought by the Compound, it was owned by Jeff Bedard before that.  Jeff still coaches there but you also have Lee Roper now as well.  Their both great youth coaches.  Cliff Frettwell is also a coach for Compound and he's also excellent. 

Georgia, especially in the metro area, has a great concentration of wrestling training facilities.  The school club seasonal programs just dont compare to the training facilities. Get your kid to a facility if you want him to be good.

In Atlanta you have the Compound(3 or 4 locations), The wrestling Academy, The wrestling center(Aurturo Holmes, the least advertised but probably the best coach) and Overtime training center.  In North Georgia you have Grindhouse Wrestling(Matt Pitts coach) and Liberty Wrestling.  

Georgia has never been a wrestling powerhouse at the college level but I think its going to have a large influx of wrestlers into the college ranks over the next 10 or so years as some of these kids have been doing well on the national level recently.  All because of these year round training centers that we didnt have until recently. 

12/10/12 8:59 AM
awesomestprime
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I talked to Cliff on Saturday and am trying to figure out how my family can make this commitment. My son wants this as badly as anything I've seen in his 10 years.

You're right about the fact if he wants to compete he needs a good coach and kids to work out with. I'm only good for giving him bad habits. The local wrestling scene is novice at best. (north georgia)
12/10/12 10:55 AM
ChipW
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 11:03 AM

Cool.  You cant go wrong with any of the compound coaches.  If thats the closest facility to you than i would go there but there all good. 

My family is in Dalton GA and the Grindhouse is the closest to us.  Its only been opened for a year But in that  year coach Pitts has made my kid (10U 70lbs) a much better wrestler.   Its been a world of difference from our old club program. 

Good luck with it. 

And check this out if your looking for a good practice before Dixie Nationals.

http://forum.gnwa.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20175

12/10/12 1:31 PM
awesomestprime

Awesome. Appreciate it.

I've thought about going to Commerce also. Their youth program looks solid and is about 10 minutes closer then compound. But what's the difference in 40 or 50 minutes?

My son is 10U 80lbs. Good luck this year.
12/11/12 11:31 PM
ChipW

Good luck to you guys as well.

There's some interesting history on all these training facilities. Most of them are run by guys who started wrestling for aurturo Holmes back in the day, then went off to college, now there back and have started their own places up.

Wrestlers don't really have lineage per say like in bjj but if they did aurturo would be kind of like the helio Gracie of Georgia wrestling. His gym is really cool. Every wrestler he had that went on to wrestle in college sends a shirt back from their college program and he puts them on the wall. There's not a lot of bare wall in the place, Arturo has turned out some great wrestlers.

My sons coach wrestled for Arturo, then went on to wrestle for Terry Brands. That's some pretty stout lineage right there. We sure are glad to have him Phone Post
12/18/12 1:46 PM
awesomestprime

We decided on Compound last week. Haven't made a practice with Cliff there yet, but Roper and Bedard are both awesome with the kids. And there are a couple hammers at the north facility close to my son's weight.

I'm glad my son decided to practice locally once or twice a week also. It's his friends around here. He's played football, baseball, ect.. and gone to school with these kids all his life.

We made the mistake of letting football get extremely competitive and it took some of the enjoyment out of it. My goal with wrestling is to support his love of it. He still qualifies for the beginner tournaments so we're alternating between open and beginner. Let him see some competition, then let him build confidence.

I imagine some of y'all might be at the dixie nationals? Good luck. That one should be fun
12/18/12 4:16 PM
awesomestprime

It's a no nonsense practice which is what I like the most. I've coached all kinds of things and it's incredibly frustrating to see how pussified sports have become. I show up early and stay late so my son can play. But there's a time and place for everything, and the kids, parents, and coaches at the compound seem to understand that. They have fun, yet aren't there to babysit and coddle the kids.

This is the first time (other then the Falcons or UGA camps) that I've been around youth coaches and felt 100 percent they were doing a better job with the kids then I would.

They also sell themselves as the kind of people who see past wrestling and understand the impact they have on the kids. I hope this isn't PR or marketing and really the culture they've created? We'll see? I haven't heard a bad word yet or seen anything to the contrary.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.