UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> First Comp Advice

12/7/12 8:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Squishyman12
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is my first competition I will be competing in Feb/March timeframe at Houston Open. Any workout or training advice will be greatly appreciated. Phone Post
12/7/12 10:09 AM
RobertKipness
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep Calm, No Attack Groin
12/7/12 10:10 AM
ChokeTheFace
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start warming up as soon as the tournament opens it's doors. This is a perfect time to take your energy supplements too. Stay flat and long. And most importantly, bring your best looking gi. Phone Post
12/7/12 2:32 PM
ohmy23
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have alot of time to prepare.... Cardio; I don't care how good you think your cardio is, do extra ... Trust me

I'm also surprised how many ppl don't know the rules (ex: double guard pull/ 1st person gets up to base gets advantage)

Learn to pull guard on someone live, takedown/takedown defense,
Etc

Try to relax and play your game, it'll be a good learning experience win or lose.... Phone Post
12/7/12 2:34 PM
checkuroil
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're a white belt, then walk around with your Gi top open with your belt in your bag. Mad dog everyone who walks by Phone Post
12/7/12 4:14 PM
Squishyman12
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha awesome! Just got my blue belt and I just want something to set a goal for! I am taking some privates and going to try to do as much cardio as possible. Phone Post
12/8/12 2:55 AM
ozjiujitsu
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pull guard and do it well. Your first comp your gonna wanna be nice And comfortable. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:58 PM
Squishyman12

Any workout tips? Phone Post
12/10/12 2:30 PM
bgup619
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont obsess over it.. keep training hard, develop a game plan and go have fun. dont put any pressure on yourself
12/10/12 3:15 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will be competing at the Houston Open as well. What is your weight/affiliation if you don't mind me asking?

Unless you are right at the bottom of a weight bracket I wouldn't recommended cutting much if any weight for your first tournament. As others have said stay calm. Rely on technique, have a game plan based on fundamentals and stay hydrated.

Cardio is KING. Run 3 miles one day. 1 mile the next at full speed. Run intervals. Run hills. Run. Run. Run. Take a spin class. Run some more. Swim if you have access to a pool.

Don't focus on new technique, focus on your strengths and drill drill drill.

Let your body completely recover at least a week prior to the tournament to heal from nagging bumps and bruises.

Oh and have fun, that is the most important part! Phone Post
12/10/12 4:10 PM
BenBJJ
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Patches. How ever many you have on your gi, you can always put more.
12/10/12 4:38 PM
Squishyman12

Carlson Gracie Texas and would like to fight light Phone Post
12/11/12 3:37 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep calm, I always think about it as just another roll because I know that if I start thinking "oh shit I'm in a tournament" I'll make stupid mistakes Phone Post
12/14/12 12:21 PM
Squishyman12

Great advice. I need a goal like a tournament to try to take training more serious Phone Post
12/15/12 1:51 AM
UGCTT_The Project
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listen to the cardio advice. My first match felt like an hour. Everything settled in after that. Warm up and stretch. Watch the tournament as you are warming up and immerse yourself in the experience. It helped me with any jitters. It's a blast.

Oh, and mad dog everyone. Tell them that you have great stand up too, and always offer advice immediately following everyone's matches. Phone Post
12/15/12 6:25 AM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Val Worthington always says that your job in your first competition is to experience competition. I think that's great advice.

Go. Have fun.

Don't cut weight. It takes your focus away from where it should be, which is your jiu-jitsu and your mental game.

Your first match will probably feel like you're fighting underwater, like you can't move the way you expect, or like it's very surreal. Either that, or it goes by in a flash. It's much harder than you think. But it gets better after that.

Have fun.

You're going into competition to a) find what you can do against a fully resisting opponent; b) discover holes in your own game so you can fix them; c) give yourself a motivation for training hard. So that's your job. Get it on video. Find a more experienced teammate or instructor who can coach you and help you get warmed up.

Remember: have fun. :)
12/15/12 10:58 AM
Herbish1
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just do what you normally do to warm up for class, you don't need extra. Keep moving in between matches, you don't want to ice up. The extra tension from it being a competition will wear you down quicker than a regular roll in class. Expect your cardio to be a lot worse than you think, so getting it up now is solid advice.

Having your coach or an experienced teammate is great to keep you focused, and coach you through the match. So if possible, have them there.

I'm a believer in just weighing in and whatever you weigh, that's your division. No reason to cut weight for non professional bouts, you're there to have fun, don't put that extra stress on your body.

HAVE FUN!!
12/16/12 5:56 PM
Squishyman12

Ya haven't really figured what weight class I'm gonna try to compete in Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.