UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana & #1 Contenders

12/7/12 9:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like every event a bout is deemed as a #1 contender fight and usually as of late it causes more drama than necessary. Not just with Johny Hendricks, he called the Shogun/Gustafsson fight a #1 contender fight at the pre-fight presser. What happened to Henderson who was supposed to fight JBJ but got injured and now faces Machida? When that fight happens will it be a #1 contender fight? He makes these claims that make fights "bigger" because they're know for the "#1 contender" position but then people get upset when he flips the situation a week or a month later.

Now he's crowning a man #1 contender for a LHW title shot almost 5 months before the LHW Championship fight is, do you honestly think in that time period another fight won't be claimed to be a #1 contender fight or something else will happen that causes Alexander or Shogun to get bumped?

I think he'd be better off not putting the label out there at all unless it really qualifies, instead of throwing it around.
12/7/12 9:43 AM
ZombieAutoPilot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People fight harder and better when they think a title shot is on the line... Thats my opinion, dana wants both shogun and gustafson to put on a show! Its FoX he wants/needs big ratings. Phone Post
12/7/12 10:01 AM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZombieAutoPilot -  People fight harder and better when they think a title shot is on the line... Thats my opinion, dana wants both shogun and gustafson to put on a show! Its FoX he wants/needs big ratings. Phone Post

I definitely think that's why he does it, but look at all the turmoil it's caused recently and how much drama it has the potential to cause in the future.
12/7/12 10:10 AM
ufc98newb
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have just come to accept that Dana is a promoter, and nothing he says has any credibility. There are some very great things to be said about the guy, but it can also be truthfully said that his word means nothing.

12/7/12 10:42 AM
notsobigmike
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZombieAutoPilot -  People fight harder and better when they think a title shot is on the line... Thats my opinion, dana wants both shogun and gustafson to put on a show! Its FoX he wants/needs big ratings. Phone Post

I feel like that backfires, though. Guys fight more conservatively because they don't want to blow the opportunity.

I like it better when it's open ended and the impetus is on the fighters to make a case for why they deserve the title shot.
12/7/12 11:22 AM
kungfugrip

#1 contender does not equal best fighter, but the fight with best sale. gsp vs diaz doesnt make sense being he is just getting of year layoff for drugs, but the fight sells well. Its done
12/7/12 11:53 AM
MolsonMuscles
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Now he's crowning a man #1 contender for a LHW title shot almost 5 months before the LHW Championship fight is"

Don't forget the three months between announcing the fight and actual fight day -- that's eight or nine full months from now.

Of course, if Shogun wins tomorrow that'll give him just enough time for his customary training camp routine -- two knees surgeries, three months of rehab, a shoulder injury, another knee injury, two more months of rehab and a week of light sparring in Curitiba.
12/7/12 11:56 AM
Rantuckjr
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Promoters be promoting
12/7/12 12:15 PM
ZombieAutoPilot

He should just say "loser is out of the ufc" everytime... We would be getting insane fights... Then of course dont actually release anyone just as noone really gets the title shot! Phone Post
12/7/12 12:38 PM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - 

I feel like that backfires, though. Guys fight more conservatively because they don't want to blow the opportunity.

I like it better when it's open ended and the impetus is on the fighters to make a case for why they deserve the title shot.

+1
12/7/12 12:58 PM
Fernando Alonso

notsobigmike -

That's why Dana should say whoever has a more exciting fight will get the title shot not just the winner. Or you might end up having someone laying on top for three rounds.

So whoever has the better win between Shogun/Gus or Hendo\Machida gets the title shot. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.