UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I didn't know Tito went to law school

12/7/12 11:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Big Pun
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't even know what to say. Who advises their client to turn down the first women's mma fight in the UFC AND it's for the title to boot? Why on earth would a fighter let Tito Ortiz manage them? All that yammering about wanting the match with Rhonda and Cyborg won't even take the fight. Just ridiculous. Get a real management team, not some guy with a massive ego trying to break intot he business.
12/7/12 11:55 AM
MolsonMuscles
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not only did he go to law school, he passed the bar exam with a cracked skull.
12/7/12 11:56 AM
WestCoastMXC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Titos more of a boss then either of you clowns will ever be. Phone Post
12/7/12 12:20 PM
Fernando Alonso

Maybe it was money or weight either way Tito should have a good reason to turn it down. Cyborg could have been the first to headline the first woman Strikeforce and UFC event. Phone Post
12/7/12 12:23 PM
nickmcd

haha really? if that's true hes more qualified to be mayor of LA then the mayor of LA
12/7/12 12:23 PM
TrevorRice
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Not only did he go to law school, he passed the bar exam with a cracked skull."

-puhahahhahahaaaa!! love it.
12/7/12 12:25 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MolsonMuscles - Not only did he go to law school, he passed the bar exam with a cracked skull.
I almost spit out my cereal. Phone Post
12/7/12 12:26 PM
MagSlim

If you know your fighter can't make the weight by the date of the fight, why is it 'bad advice' to tell them not to take the fight?

I don't think Cyborg could've cut that much that fast. So they fight later, what's the problem?
Big Pun
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weight isn't an issue. The UFC has one single weight class for women and it's 135. Cyborg has been calling out Rousey saying Rhonda is scared to fight her. Well the champ doesn't come to you, you go to the champ. In the UFC that's 135. Strikeforce is defunct. So unless Cyborg plans to fight in Invicta, I don't see how you can turn down a fight that is for the title and not only that, historical for mma. On top of that it's a headliner. That's just poor management advice.
Malagant
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's probably a business move. Let Honda rack up a win or two too get mass exposure, then fight her. With the UFC marketing machine, more money to be made. Smart and it will give her the time to properly cut down to a suitable weight in which she can cut down to 135 without destroying herself.
12/7/12 12:28 PM
Tat2tillidie
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito may have tons of excuses , but he is smart as hell ... Phone Post
12/7/12 12:29 PM
Big Pun

You're telling me that a professional athlete can't drop 10lbs in two and a half months for an opportunity to be a headlining historically significant title fight? Hogwash. You can try and sell that all you want but I'm not buying. Doctors note or not.
12/7/12 12:32 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And to the op, I agree it makes no sense, especially when it's female fighters who have never gotten an opportunity like this Phone Post
12/7/12 12:32 PM
chawkins
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito probably doesn't want his client to blow her wad too early. And really, this is a very Tito call to make, if you think about it.

Think of it this way - UFC announcing the first-ever WMMA championship fight as a headliner on a PPV is a big deal. But nobody really knows for certain if it'll sell. Tito probably wants to see how it goes so he has a more solid negotiating position for his fighter. Tito was never the "take risks on behalf of the company" guy. Tito was always the "leverage as much value as I can from known quantities" guy. And really, that's a pretty smart way to do business.

The UFC doesn't like that, though. They want the Chuck Liddell approach - "sure, let's fucking go for it, let's do this shit together, and we'll figure out money as we go along". UFC rewards people who take risks along with them. That is why Chuck has a lifetime hookup with UFC and Tito does not.

The approach UFC probably expected was more like "this is a big deal, I'll take the risk, take the fight, and if we can turn it into something big, I'll be rewarded". And with a different manager, maybe that would have happened. But that's not how Tito thinks about this stuff. Anyone who has followed his career should have seen this coming.
12/7/12 12:36 PM
GroundStPound

Tito has a way with words and with law that is all you need. Phone Post
12/7/12 12:40 PM
thegreenroom
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a side point... Cyborg doesn't walk around at 145. She cuts to it for fight time. That means she has to cut an extra ten pounds. Not just ten pounds.

But I agree. Take the fight. Be one of the two first females in the octagon Phone Post
12/7/12 12:47 PM
scrapdo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegreenroom - Just a side point... Cyborg doesn't walk around at 145. She cuts to it for fight time. That means she has to cut an extra ten pounds. Not just ten pounds.

But I agree. Take the fight. Be one of the two first females in the octagon Phone Post
Good post Phone Post
12/7/12 12:50 PM
Olive Garden Table For One
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do any of you remember how Tito's skull got cracked? Cris Cyborg powerbombed him in training. No Joke. This is his revenge.

12/7/12 2:34 PM
warrendale

MagSlim - If you know your fighter can't make the weight by the date of the fight, why is it 'bad advice' to tell them not to take the fight?

I don't think Cyborg could've cut that much that fast. So they fight later, what's the problem?
She has been suspended since February. Why is that not enough time to have lost her juice? Phone Post
12/7/12 2:37 PM
ZombieAutoPilot

My guess is tito thinks there will eventually be a 145 division for wmma and cyborg will hold that title Phone Post
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

warrendale -
MagSlim - If you know your fighter can't make the weight by the date of the fight, why is it 'bad advice' to tell them not to take the fight?

She has been suspended since February. Why is that not enough time to have lost her juice? Phone Post
This logic makes me laugh, because she said what caused her to fail the test was a substance to help lose/cut weight Phone Post
KneeToFaceKO

MolsonMuscles - Not only did he go to law school, he passed the bar exam with a cracked skull.
Hahaha Phone Post
12/7/12 3:11 PM
chawkins
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegreenroom -  Just a side point... Cyborg doesn't walk around at 145. She cuts to it for fight time. That means she has to cut an extra ten pounds. Not just ten pounds.

Right, she has to cut an extra 10 pounds, more than she usually does.

But what most of us are thinking is, if she's off the 'roids and muscles down just a bit, that 10 pounds should be a cakewalk.
12/7/12 4:20 PM
Big Pun

If she diets out 10lbs. in the two and a half months she was given as advance notice then the water weight cut is still the same. You guys act like she has to cut all that in water. Not hardly. She shows up 10lbs lighter BEFORE making the cut.
12/7/12 4:50 PM
the islander
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why have the biggest wmma fight of all time on ppv without any build up? Have ronda and cyborg win some fights in the ufc and convert typical fans into wmma fans. Then with all of the hype, finally have the fight in a year and more people will buy it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.