UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN article on the Ultimate Ultimate 96

12/7/12 1:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Funaki Masakatsu #1
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great work from Jake Rossen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=eightmenout

12/7/12 2:31 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
12/7/12 2:57 PM
Ramon Maroni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good read

voted up
12/7/12 2:59 PM
UGCTT_SMASHED BY A BIG RIG!
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd to read later Phone Post
12/7/12 3:06 PM
JimmersonzGlove
576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT awesome!

12/7/12 3:08 PM
Loser Born Natural
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is a great read!

12/7/12 3:19 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

I was starting to lose faith in the board after this thread had no replies until I bumped it...good work restoring my faith, guys. Phone Post
12/7/12 3:21 PM
ShocknAwe
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know of any more articles like that? Specific event told from fighter's perspective?
12/7/12 3:22 PM
Kirik
2051 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Jake's great.

12/7/12 3:23 PM
mynameis68
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub a dub dub Phone Post
12/7/12 3:44 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

ShocknAwe - Anyone know of any more articles like that? Specific event told from fighter's perspective?
Rossen wrote one about the 2000 GP, which was an absolutely amazing article. I'll try to find it. Phone Post
12/7/12 4:22 PM
ShocknAwe
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
ShocknAwe - Anyone know of any more articles like that? Specific event told from fighter's perspective?
Rossen wrote one about the 2000 GP, which was an absolutely amazing article. I'll try to find it. Phone Post

Found it! Thanks!
http://espn.go.com/mma/features/prideandglory

12/7/12 4:24 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome! A must-read for all non-old-school MMA fans.
12/7/12 4:26 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

The UU96 remains one of my favorite MMA events ever, and is possibly my favorite UFC event ever. Phone Post
12/7/12 4:38 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -  The UU96 remains one of my favorite MMA events ever, and is possibly my favorite UFC event ever. Phone Post

Same here. Can you imagine if Vitor and Coleman didn't get injured and were in it? Most stacked 8-man tournament ever.
12/7/12 4:50 PM
siouxNYC
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i remember watching that event on ppv in my gf's apartment in the east village with some bjj friends. it was a blast, and when frye won, it was like watching a happy ending to the most engrossing (albeit violent) film ever.
12/7/12 5:39 PM
garrote
529 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
12/7/12 5:54 PM
DW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt awesome find

12/7/12 6:41 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

Attila - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -  The UU96 remains one of my favorite MMA events ever, and is possibly my favorite UFC event ever. Phone Post

Same here. Can you imagine if Vitor and Coleman didn't get injured and were in it? Most stacked 8-man tournament ever.

That would have been insane.

IIRC, Shamrock originally demanded to Art Davie that Davie bracket it so that Ken fought Tank FIRST, in the semifinals, so that he wouldn't have to risk Tank losing in the first round and missing the chance to fight him. Davie declined because he wanted to match the top fighters with lesser fighters in the first round and build up the matchups from there.

That backfired pretty good on Art. Tank-Ken would have been a battle and both guys were probably at their peaks in skill at the UU96.

12/7/12 7:17 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is one great read!!I remeber watching the PPV with my Dad, and some buddies I trained with in TKD LOL!

12/7/12 8:04 PM
Chappie
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome article, props to Rossen for writing that.
12/7/12 8:26 PM
uratoker2
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My threads Phone Post
12/7/12 8:35 PM
Liyon
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
Attila - 

That would have been insane.

IIRC, Shamrock originally demanded to Art Davie that Davie bracket it so that Ken fought Tank FIRST, in the semifinals, so that he wouldn't have to risk Tank losing in the first round and missing the chance to fight him. Davie declined because he wanted to match the top fighters with lesser fighters in the first round and build up the matchups from there.

That backfired pretty good on Art. Tank-Ken would have been a battle and both guys were probably at their peaks in skill at the UU96.

Yeah, never liked the first round matchmaking for the tournament. I understand the 1-8 seed-style of matchmaking for a tournament, but it also deprived the fans of the matches that they wanted to see.

Ken vs. Tank would have been amazing.

Why have a pointless rematch between Frye and Goodridge when there were so many more interesting matchups to be made? I would have loved to see Frye vs. Kimo in the first round.

Johnston vs. Worsham

Varelans vs. Goodridge

That would have been the ideal setup, imo.

Ironically, this line-up maintains the original brackets, but switches the fights around.
12/7/12 9:10 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

CLINTK9 - Varalens was a BEAST that night. both Ken & Frye would have had thier hands full with him in the 1st!
I don't know about that...Polar Bear was really big but he never struck me as particularly skilled. I think Frye's crisp boxing would make short work of him and Ken had way too many weapons. Phone Post
12/7/12 9:16 PM
Megatherium
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.