UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ESPN article on the Ultimate Ultimate 96

12/7/12 8:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Liyon
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
Attila - 
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -  The UU96 remains one of my favorite MMA events ever, and is possibly my favorite UFC event ever. Phone Post

Same here. Can you imagine if Vitor and Coleman didn't get injured and were in it? Most stacked 8-man tournament ever.

That would have been insane.

IIRC, Shamrock originally demanded to Art Davie that Davie bracket it so that Ken fought Tank FIRST, in the semifinals, so that he wouldn't have to risk Tank losing in the first round and missing the chance to fight him. Davie declined because he wanted to match the top fighters with lesser fighters in the first round and build up the matchups from there.

That backfired pretty good on Art. Tank-Ken would have been a battle and both guys were probably at their peaks in skill at the UU96.

Yeah, never liked the first round matchmaking for the tournament. I understand the 1-8 seed-style of matchmaking for a tournament, but it also deprived the fans of the matches that they wanted to see.

Ken vs. Tank would have been amazing.

Why have a pointless rematch between Frye and Goodridge when there were so many more interesting matchups to be made? I would have loved to see Frye vs. Kimo in the first round.

Johnston vs. Worsham

Varelans vs. Goodridge

That would have been the ideal setup, imo.

Ironically, this line-up maintains the original brackets, but switches the fights around.
12/7/12 9:01 PM
CLINTK9
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Varalens was a BEAST that night. both Ken & Frye would have had thier hands full with him in the 1st!
12/7/12 9:10 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CLINTK9 - Varalens was a BEAST that night. both Ken & Frye would have had thier hands full with him in the 1st!
I don't know about that...Polar Bear was really big but he never struck me as particularly skilled. I think Frye's crisp boxing would make short work of him and Ken had way too many weapons. Phone Post
12/7/12 9:16 PM
Megatherium
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read
12/7/12 9:18 PM
Quik
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Clothing, Owner
4 later Phone Post
12/7/12 9:27 PM
Kneeblock
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
12/7/12 9:55 PM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the prima dona like egos of Ken, Tank, Ruas, and few of the other early UFC stars, it would have been interesting to see a chubby, unassuming Igor V come in a wreek havok on the field.
12/7/12 11:32 PM
CLINTK9
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
CLINTK9 - Varalens was a BEAST that night. both Ken & Frye would have had thier hands full with him in the 1st!
I don't know about that...Polar Bear was really big but he never struck me as particularly skilled. I think Frye's crisp boxing would make short work of him and Ken had way too many weapons. Phone Post

that particular night Varlens was HUGE and pumped ready to go. the skills obviously are in Kens and fryes favor, but if big Paul was holding his own up top, FRYE is MUCH Smaller, and one of those guys went for a TD and landed underneath like Kimo. they would have took beatings as well. Varelens wasnt great, but that night he was ready, and bigger than normal. would love to have seen it.
12/7/12 11:34 PM
CLINTK9

I was there live right by the aisle when Varelens was coming down yellin, he was game that night.
12/7/12 11:55 PM
thomase
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt for a great thread and article! Love it! :)

Big 'English' Tom Phone Post
12/8/12 12:29 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thomase - Ttt for a great thread and article! Love it! :)

Big 'English' Tom Phone Post
Great to see you posting Big Tom!!! Phone Post
12/8/12 12:47 AM
SamboReigns
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a great read, thanks for posting.
12/8/12 2:04 AM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
12/8/12 3:30 AM
CLINTK9

IF only UU96 was Actually the 8 BEST fighters in UFC up to that point. It would have been:

Royce, Ken, Severn, Oleg, Tank, Ruas, Frye & Coleman!

And I would have bracket them like this:

Gracie/Taktarov
Severn/Coleman
Frye/Ruas
Shamrock/Tank

MAN, THAT would have been AWESOME!
12/8/12 4:30 AM
Rear Naked Chode
510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/12 4:38 AM
Awesome read, and lol@ nelmark saying he wasn't knocked out. Dude got totally nelmarked.
12/8/12 4:34 AM
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hall accepted money from Frye to throw their fight so that Frye would have the energy to beat Tank. It's a known worked match. Hall came out later and told the whole story. It's pretty funny that the article in ESPN has a pic from that fight on the first page.
12/8/12 5:13 AM
mwmhong
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub! Phone Post
12/8/12 5:57 AM
instantkarma
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
12/8/12 6:00 AM
FullyLoadedFists
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool Phone Post
12/8/12 6:26 AM
cool hand Ed
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantastic read
12/8/12 8:12 AM
mpthief
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome Phone Post
12/8/12 8:37 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
969 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in

12/8/12 8:52 AM
Smith1234
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article. Phone Post
12/8/12 9:57 AM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome read!
12/8/12 10:19 AM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read, reminds me of the old days, makes me feel old, but glad to have been a fan from waaay back. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.