UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Update: Special Case

12/7/12 4:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taku
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/12 12:16 AM

Hi Gang,

Wanted to share some info with you on a recent special case I've been working.

32 year old male. Struck by a car when he was 9 Y.O., and suffered severe nerve damage on right side of body. Was told he would not survive. Than told he would never walk again. Now, making stride to improve mobility etc. Came to me to get stronger for both mobility and Aesthetic reasons.

Met with him to determine current ability and limitations etc. He can walk (with severe limp). Damage is on right side of body (nine major nerves). Formerly right side dominant. Right hand is non-functional, permanently balled into a fist. No cognitive damage but slight speech impediment due to nerve damage. Exterme mobility challenges and atrophy is severe on right side of body. Poor diet and low mobility = over-fat and under muscle.

Note: All exercises done one limb at a time due to gross imbalances and other issues. Because the imbalance that exists will never be totally corrected, I opted to allow the strong side to get as strong as possible, rather than worry too much about bilaterally symetrical strength.

First training session was 11/14:

Seated row. Right had (using lifitng hook to overcome non-fucntional hand) 22 lbs x 60 sec TUT. (Challenging) Left hand same weight on first session.

Chest press (on Hammer) Right habd 10 lbs 60 sec TUT. Same with left for first session.

Pull-down. Right 35lbs for 60 sec TUT. Left 65lbs for 60 sec TUT.

OH Press Right side working with manual resistance due to mobility issues. Left side 20lbs 60 sec TUT.

Leg Press Right 60lbs for 60 sec TUT. (same on left.)

Low back (on machine 50lbs 60 sec TUT

I do other stuff, but that's enough to show progress.

Today (9th session).

Row = Right 30 lbs 60 sec TUT / Left 39lbs 60 sec TUT

Chest press Right 22.5 60 sec / Left 27.5 60 sec

Pull-down Right 75lbs 60 sec / Left 105lbs 60 sec

Leg Press 125lbs 60 sec (each leg)

Low Back 105lbs 60 sec

OH press Left 40lbs 60 sec 

Anyway. This has been a fun and challenging case for me, and I just wanted to share some of the results thus far. He is happy and working hard. Still tweaking the program a bit.

PAU for NOW

TAKU

12/7/12 4:30 PM
LordSeano
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats awesome. I love hearing about stuff like this. It scares me to think how readily some fitness and orthopedic professionals seem to write off people
12/8/12 2:22 AM
torquemada
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a therapist, I applaud you. Phone Post
12/8/12 6:39 PM
Leigh
974 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff, thanks for sharing Phone Post
12/8/12 6:52 PM
Taku
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Guys,

Many thanks. These kinds of cases are very interesting and challenging. Much more fun than the average guy who wants to lose his love handles.

I've got a few more weeks with him so we'll see how far we can go.

TAKU

1/7/13 2:13 PM
Taku

Okay...Last workout with my guy for a while, He's taking an extended trip to Greece (must be nice).

So here is some progress:

Low back ext: Day 1 = 50lbs for 60 sec TUT. Today = 140lbs for 60 sec TUT

Torso Rotation: Day 1 = 50 lbs x 60 sec TUT. Today = 80 lbs for 60 sec TUT

Pull-down: (Injured side) Day 1 = 35 lbs x 60 sec TUT. Today = 90 lbs for 60 sec TUT

Chest Press: (Injured side) Day 1 = 10 lbs x 60 sec TUT. Today = 37,5 lbs x 60 sec TUT

Strong side numbers are as follows:

Row: Day 1 = 22 lbs x 60 sec tut. Today = 52,8 x 60 sec TUT

Pull-down: Day 1 = 60 lbs x 60 sec TUT. Today = 123.2 x 60 sec TUT

Chest Press: Day 1 = 10 lbs x 60 sec TUT. Today 70 lbs x 60 sec TUT

OH Press: Day 1 = 20 lbs x 60 sec TUT. Today = 40 lbs x 60 TUT

So, all in all pretty good stuff. He is noticeably more muscular on both sides. His non-injured side has bulked up considerably. He has remarked that he notices the difference on the injured side and is pleased with the results. He also increased TUT etc for several other movements. Unfortunately at some point he mutinied on me and refused to do any more leg training (because it was too hard).

TAKU

1/8/13 8:54 AM
Wiggy
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thread, man - enjoyed reading.

Aside from the strength training numbers (which increases have obviously been substantial), how has - for lack of a better term - regular life been for him? What have the strength increases done for normal moving, getting around, etc?
1/9/13 12:11 AM
Taku

Edited: 01/09/13 12:13 AM

Hey Wiggy,

Happy New Years brother...Long time no talk.

Well..the most significant improvement noticed by others as well as himself, was that of cognitive function. Multiple people told him he seemed sharper and clearer after training for a while. As I stated in the out-set. He has no cognitive impairment, however the severe nerve damage has caused partial facial paralysis, which in turn causes his speech to be slightly impaired as well.

This cognitive boost is very cool. His main goal in working with me was to look better. He is much more muscular, however his nutrition is poor so he has a bit of a belly. He talks a lot about working on the nutrition, but clearly was not actually implementing a solid P.E.P.

TAKU

1/9/13 6:10 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome stuff... nice job.
1/9/13 6:52 PM
Wiggy
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo Taku - it has, brother...it really has. A belated Happy New Year to you, as well.

That's awesome to hear - it's amazing to see how far reaching the effects of a sound training program can be. Are there plans for him to resume training once he comes back?
1/11/13 5:27 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow that really is a great read.

However... the dude has managed to build up a functional life despite a horrible accident... and now leg exercises are TOO HARD?

Facepalm...
1/11/13 8:08 PM
Taku

Jorx...Agreed.

TAKU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.