UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Caio Terra:"No need to lift weights to win Worlds"

12/7/12 9:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
huni
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/12 10:00 PM

Caio Terra in this exclusive interview:”Leandro Lo and me are living proof that You Can Do Very Little Strength & Conditioning And Still Be A World Champion In BJJ.”

http://www.bjjee.com/interview/caio-terrayou-can-do-very-little-strength-conditioning-and-still-be-a-world-champion-in-bjj/

What are your thoughts on the subject?
12/7/12 10:11 PM
elitecmbt
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya but doesn't he use that crazy stair stepping looking thing. Maybe that's his secret. Phone Post
12/7/12 10:47 PM
amc6825
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcelo does nothing besides bjj also Phone Post
12/7/12 10:48 PM
amc6825
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since moving to NYC he Is into riding bikes. But as a hobby Phone Post
12/7/12 11:43 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/12 11:43 PM
My view is that different of training work for different people. Some people are just very technical and can understand how to be super efficient. Others work hard to have super strength and tireless conditioning. I know a couple people on the ground who feel super strong but never touch weights.
12/8/12 12:36 AM
joshjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I focus on technique but still like circuit training here and there Phone Post
12/8/12 12:43 AM
joe_mama
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An insightful comment I heard from a buddy of mine who is a competitive brown belt and who lifts weights: "Strength is definitely no substitute for Technique - but - the top guys also happen to be freakishly strong."

12/8/12 1:18 AM
Baroquen Record
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

most of the top guys do some type of supplemental exercise in addition to their BJJ training.

only a few stand outs are successful without it, and of the ones that are really only Marcelo is a dominant force.
12/8/12 1:40 AM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The key is not to replace your BJJ training with strength and conditioning like a lot of people do. It should supplement your training not replace it. In other words if you normally train 5 days a week bjj and want to add 2 days strength and conditioning then you should train 5 days bjj plus 2 days gym not 3 days bjj and 2 days gym.
12/8/12 1:49 AM
joe_mama
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baroquen Record - most of the top guys do some type of supplemental exercise in addition to their BJJ training.

only a few stand outs are successful without it, and of the ones that are really only Marcelo is a dominant force.

Though with Marcelo, I've heard first hand that he is freakishly freakishly strong. Even though he doesn't do a conventional strength training regimen.
12/8/12 10:11 AM
amc6825

When Marcelo grabbed my wrist it felt like an ape Phone Post
12/8/12 12:24 PM
X_Rated
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's because he's Jiujitsu strong not power lifter strong. Phone Post
12/8/12 6:52 PM
Rival School

joshjitsu - I focus on technique but still like circuit training here and there Phone Post
That's because you're super vein Phone Post
12/8/12 9:58 PM
GrapplerX
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Dean Lister also say he didn't lift in a recent Podcast, he say just train in Jiu-Jitsu. Use the time you'd have in the weight room on the mat instead. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:21 PM
gusto

using PEDs to assist recovery may make weight training very beneficial.

doing a serious weight lifting routine will be hard to do clean if you train bjj 2x a day

now if you lift one or 2x a week? who knows

also: "how many people have bjj gyms that teach all day and all night?

seems like there would be times when you cannot train because your school is closed. also seems like you could use that time doing strength and conditioning. "

is a valid point, but most high level guys can train whenever they want
12/8/12 11:55 PM
Mrbrownfolks
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't the guy weight like 130? I can't take weightlifting advice from someone who weighs as much as some women do.
12/9/12 12:34 AM
ScrambleBJJ

Marcello and Terras lack of lifting is probably why they have had chronic injuries. Any serious bjj guy knows you need to be on the mat as much as possible and lifting is the best way to make you durable enough to do that.
12/9/12 12:37 AM
chickenscratch
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Obvious troll is obvious. Phone Post
12/9/12 12:41 AM
ScrambleBJJ

Educated athlete is educated? So much ignorance surrounding why people lift. Injury prevention is the primary reason an athlete lifts.
12/9/12 2:16 AM
Kway
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I lift for injury prevention. My shoulders where taking a beating for a while, but lifting has them back to normal.
12/9/12 4:44 AM
Zero1
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the mistake most people make is the do Jiu Jitsu and kill them self in the gym. Strength Training should be a supplement to get some qualities up but it shouldn´t be a draining session that takes away your ability to perform on the mat.

Ask Steve Maxwell oder Pavel Tsatsoline the will tell you that most people especially in MMA do too much conditioning besides there BJJ.

Steve told me that his son Zack isn´t doing much strength training when he is prearing for a competition. Just some weighted pull ups once in a while.

He said even the guys who fight ADCC shouldn´t do more than 2 sessions of 20-30 minutes of conditioning.
12/9/12 12:26 PM
FlyingKnee_bar
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zero1 - I think the mistake most people make is the do Jiu Jitsu and kill them self in the gym. Strength Training should be a supplement to get some qualities up but it shouldn´t be a draining session that takes away your ability to perform on the mat.

Ask Steve Maxwell oder Pavel Tsatsoline the will tell you that most people especially in MMA do too much conditioning besides there BJJ.

Steve told me that his son Zack isn´t doing much strength training when he is prearing for a competition. Just some weighted pull ups once in a while.

He said even the guys who fight ADCC shouldn´t do more than 2 sessions of 20-30 minutes of conditioning.

this is crazy talk...unless you are some sort of freak of nature i.e. terra, MG, to be a top level athlete you have to do a good amount of strength and conditioning...

that one of the biggest weaknesses of pretty much all the top level brazlian guys i see, if there is someone who can really push the pace on them they will fade if they dont properly condition
12/9/12 4:09 PM
Jessy30
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ wrong. because their conditioning is taking place on the mats and is much better suited to performance in comp than a guy who conditions like crazy and then cannot train at a peak level or push himself while rolling. The person who wisely supplements his training bjj (which rolling IS conditioning) will be in better shape than one who goes hog wild on crossfit (or whatever) and then cannot train well. Phone Post
12/9/12 4:11 PM
Muffinho
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think something outside of bjj is key for preventing injuries.

Yoga + olympic ring work/other gymnastics is great for BJJ.
12/9/12 5:29 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FlyingKnee_bar - 
Zero1 - I think the mistake most people make is the do Jiu Jitsu and kill them self in the gym. Strength Training should be a supplement to get some qualities up but it shouldn´t be a draining session that takes away your ability to perform on the mat.

this is crazy talk...unless you are some sort of freak of nature i.e. terra, MG, to be a top level athlete you have to do a good amount of strength and conditioning...

that one of the biggest weaknesses of pretty much all the top level brazlian guys i see, if there is someone who can really push the pace on them they will fade if they dont properly condition

They know exactly what they're talking about. They highly value strength training and think you should be as strong as you possibly can be, but think the bulk of your conditioning should come from your sport. Two 20-30 minute sessions per week of conditioning can be the most brutal fucking thing you experience on a weekly basis. What more do you want from them? Any more and you're too exhausted to train your actual sport.

They have one of the most intelligent ways of doing it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.