UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Bjj vs Boxing

12/7/12 11:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ringworm74
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was taking bjj for a year when my contract ended at a time when money was tight. I decided to explore other options and decided to look into a boxing gym. The boxing gym was $25 a month vs bjj $130 a month. I like the boxing gym because its not like alot of these fake boxing classes offered at alot of mma gyms the old man has 30 years of training, gym is not nice. In the first class he corrected what i thought was good striking on my part. My point is bjj has gone out of control with its prices. Im 38 years old dont plan to fight. Im loving the sweet science. Ill hope to find someone i can roll with or maybe pay a drop in fee somewhere. Phone Post
12/8/12 4:14 PM
buddie
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your story is a common one. If you have kids, get them in the boxing class. If you don't, bring your nephews or your neighbor's kids.
12/8/12 8:05 PM
Ringworm74
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good idea.... Phone Post
12/9/12 9:20 AM
HEMAN
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had similar experience. I ended up training at a boxing gym due to cost and I had BJJ sparring partners that I could train with separately.
12/9/12 9:16 PM
Ringworm74

Thats my story, i might have to spring for my own matts. Does anyone have idea where the best cost for those are? Phone Post
12/10/12 1:52 PM
buddie
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 1:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehb7tfvrXe8

For ringworm
12/10/12 7:12 PM
pharochuck
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator

i would take the boxing. if you are ever in a situation it's better, imo, to be able to nail the closest guy and get out of there then any ohter aspect of combat arts. if you could end most fights or at least discourage guys from rushing you in the first excahnge and still be on your feet able to sprint away in case of multiple attackers i would go with that

12/11/12 11:28 AM
HEMAN
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ringworm74 -  Thats my story, i might have to spring for my own matts. Does anyone have idea where the best cost for those are? Phone Post

Depends. You may want to go to various KARATE studios and see if you can purchased used or unused mats.
12/11/12 2:13 PM
Ringworm74

Buddie whats the name of the youtube, this mobile app doesnt give me a link? Phone Post
12/11/12 2:16 PM
buddie

HEMAN - 
Ringworm74 -  Thats my story, i might have to spring for my own matts. Does anyone have idea where the best cost for those are? Phone Post

Depends. You may want to go to various KARATE studios and see if you can purchased used or unused mats.

You could also use craigslist, e-bay (although typically the shipping will kill you, and e-bay is now really just an online place for vendors, its not really a big garage sale anymore)

Other ideas, make your own (see the link posted above)

call Highschools, or even fitness clubs (I used to work at a Ballys that literally THREW high quality mats away (because they purchased them in large quantity of pre-cut sizes and cut them down to fit their studio area)

someone once suggested calling a horse and stable supplier for the type of matting used in a crossfit/power lifting gym capacity (think dropping heavy plates on the ground and not destroying your floor or your shins).

Good luck and keep boxing!
12/11/12 2:23 PM
buddie

Ringworm74 -  Buddie whats the name of the youtube, this mobile app doesnt give me a link? Phone Post

The Complete Gracie Mat Making Process - with Rener Gracie
12/11/12 2:23 PM
Ringworm74

Thanks buddy.... Phone Post
12/11/12 2:27 PM
buddie

Edited: 12/11/12 3:23 PM
Sure, one other option, flexiroll mats (good quality cheap mats, but creases suck for rolled ankles on takedowns)

Puzzle piece mats (hard to keep clean, easy to tear up, but cheap and easy, they work good for ground work and you can double them up for TDs/throws if you want)
12/15/12 12:40 AM
Gendai Budo
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What were you doing that the boxing instructor corrected, OP? Phone Post
12/16/12 10:04 PM
Ringworm74

My jab was coming back to far, now im pumping it like jack hammer. My left hook wasnt right. Now it popping with speed not strength. Alot of little things... Phone Post
12/19/12 1:42 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the many great things about boxing is that you can do so much more to improve your skills on your own without a partner whereas in bjj you need someone else most of the time for drilling.
12/25/12 2:31 AM
Ringworm74

Lol@ me for reading that whole thread. People say $120 a month equals about $5 a day. Yeah but times how many are in the class! That like saying the ATM only charges $3 per transaction (its not much). But if 300 people took out $20 that machine would make $900. It doesnt make it right. One guy is correct stating that it weeds out the lower class, but in all honesty those are the type of people that can kick your ass. I remember watching rudolfo vieras docu and looking where he trained. The place was a dump! But look how awesome he is. My fav jits guy. I doubt he ever paid $130 a month. Eddie bravo "grappling superstar" look where he lived. Im making very good money now but do i want to commit to a contract of $130 or learn to fight because im not an athlete. My goals of learning MA since 96 have always been geared for being able to fight. Phone Post
12/25/12 10:57 AM
buddie

Great point. one of the cardinal rules of boxing is that it the gym doesn't smell like nuclear war it isn't a real boxing gym.

Ok maybe not. But I have been in a few gyms, and the best ones always seem to little in terms of aesthetic appeal and all have the same sweat smell. Its like the smell you can only get from a sweat so heavy it comes from your soul.

BJJ is expensive because of supply and demand made it that way and then the market was pretty much set. For many years people seemed to remark that learning boxing and wrestling was essentially free and learning bjj and kickboxing/mauy thai cost an arm and a leg. Hell even judo was really cheap. Some day I'm sure BJJ will be as well, but for now, people are still buying it at 100 - 150 a month.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.