UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Newell still unbeaten, wins XFC lightweight title

12/8/12 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

There is little more for Nick Newell to do on the regional mixed martial arts scene. After Friday night, it's apparent that Newell is ready for the major leagues, and should no longer be denied a chance at the sport's highest level. The man who was born with one hand hasn't let the disability stand in the way of his dreams, and neither should any organization let it stand in the way of signing him. Not after Newell needed just 82 seconds to beat Eric Reynolds and capture the XFC lightweight championship.

Newell made it look downright easy, suplexing Reynolds to the mat, and then sinking in a rear naked choke to win the belt.

Reynolds was no gimme opponent. He came in with a 16-5 record and had previously been in the cage with top talent like Eddie Alvarez and Jorge Masvidal, taking each into the third round before losing. Newell defeated him faster than either of those two.

"I was ready for a war, but if you see an opportunity, you take it," Newell said afterward. "I'm an opportunist, that's why I have eight first-round finishes."

read entire article...

12/8/12 12:39 AM
Chris
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

I say give the kid a shot in the big show. 9-0 is impressive as hell, and Reynolds was no slouch of win.

12/8/12 12:44 AM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris, I don't appreciate you unassimilating me.

12/8/12 12:57 AM
Enemies
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Screw documentaries about deaf people, make a movie about this guy. :P
12/8/12 1:55 AM
bruised
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just watched the fight (DVR'd), really an inspiring story. Phone Post
12/8/12 6:42 AM
Skmiasma

Very impressive win. Phone Post
12/8/12 8:06 AM
quality

I've been surprised with how good he is and how well he's improving every time out. All of his wins except for one are also first round stoppages. Great fighter.
12/8/12 9:02 AM
catgobling

i dont mean to sound like a dick here but why the hell doesnt this guy have anything on his nub? being able to bludgeon someone with some crazy bone weapon is nuts. the guy has heart and i think they should let him in the cage but i think there should be more discussion about putting something on that thing
12/8/12 9:10 AM
mikerobmma
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

catgobling - i dont mean to sound like a dick here but why the hell doesnt this guy have anything on his nub? being able to bludgeon someone with some crazy bone weapon is nuts. the guy has heart and i think they should let him in the cage but i think there should be more discussion about putting something on that thing
It balances things out a bit, if you ask me. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:06 AM
branchdavidian
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"being able to bludgeon someone with some crazy bone weapon is nuts"

like.... your elbow? spinning heel hick? i heard knees can bludgeon..

his best 'advantage' is not being able to be arm/shoulder locked on that side, and he can lock up a heelhook pretty quick. but there's an easy answer to that - chop said opponent's arm off at the elbow and then it should be fair for them too, right? -_-
12/8/12 11:08 AM
chaplinshouse
735 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that stump has gotta be deceiving as hell to an opponent, and i bet he's monkey strong with it.  u can train for elbow strike defense but stump defense has gotta fool people

12/8/12 11:10 AM
branchdavidian
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and considering joe FRAZIER had better eyesight than big nog, and mino can still get licensed in NV, i say let nick into the big show to wreck some house and knock down some egos - the guy is a fukn beast!
12/8/12 11:17 AM
AbbeyRoadMe
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats to Nick. He's a great fighter and I think he's getting better with every fight.

12/8/12 11:25 AM
Kirik
1748 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Nick can hit with the arm because it is a legal elbow.

Nick has proved he is ready for the UFC. He is a tremendous human being, tremendous fighter, and all around credit to the universe.

12/8/12 11:50 AM
einhornisfinkle
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Nick has proved he is ready for the UFC. He is a tremendous human being, tremendous fighter, and all around credit to the universe.

This. Means a lot when he gets the respect he deserves. Phone Post
12/8/12 12:19 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

catgobling - i dont mean to sound like a dick here but why the hell doesnt this guy have anything on his nub? being able to bludgeon someone with some crazy bone weapon is nuts. the guy has heart and i think they should let him in the cage but i think there should be more discussion about putting something on that thing
What would you rather have given the choice? The dexterity of a hand, plus the use of it when clenched for throwing bungalows or the stump?

It's ridiculous to assume this guy has some kind of advantage.

He's an inspiration and deserves a shot on merit alone. Phone Post
12/8/12 12:55 PM
Bad News Garand
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he gets his shot, he definitely deserves it! Phone Post
12/8/12 2:17 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

This.

I saw the fight last night and it was hard not to get emotional.  I CAN NOT wait to see this beast of a fighter in the major elagues!!!!

12/8/12 2:25 PM
Loco Lobo

Nick is an awesome athlete and a great guy .... BEAST !!
12/8/12 4:56 PM
T-Ham
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give Nick a shot. He's earned it. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.