UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Anyone ever get bummed in training?

12/8/12 10:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I've only trained BJJ for a few months, but When training with 4stripe whites or blues they have a fairly simple time against me. When im not training or going over technique I think I do a goodjob of remembering the moves, but when im actually "live training" its like my mind goes blank. Is this a normal thing for a white belt? Phone Post
12/8/12 10:41 AM
CoreNobody

Same boat here. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:17 AM
Herbish1
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes it's normal, but there are gonna be times when you do something and you can't believe what your body did. Those are the things to hang on to and use as motivation.
12/8/12 11:17 AM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think about it this way. If you've been training 3 months and another guy has been training a year he has 4 times the experience you do, of course he will get the better of you. However, in 3 years he will only have a 25% advantage in terms of time. And that time will decrease to the point that you'll be on the same level.

So you see, what seems like a large gap now will quickly become no gap at all. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:48 AM
Pride Wanderlei

You guys are great! Thank you!! Just the confidence boost I needed. Phone Post
12/8/12 12:43 PM
Mister Moonlight
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jakeklipp - totally normal. in a few more months the same guys will still be working you over, but youve been getting better. its just that they have too. but YOULL start having success against the newer guys and youll realize how much youve picked up.
This. Phone Post
12/8/12 3:24 PM
JonnySweats
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be very upset if I got bummed in training.
12/8/12 4:59 PM
Random Hero
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i got my ass kicked for the first 8 months of training. be patient and you be kicking the ass in no time. i had a hard time at first as well. I just wasnt getting it. we brought in Gustavo Dantas for a seminar and he broke down every little detail of what he was teaching but at the same time made it so simple for us. i dont know why but from those two days on, i just started understanding jiu jitsu way better than i used to and my game improved tremendously. its like a switch turned on in my head. you will get this feeling one day if you stick with it. i dont know who or what is gonna flip your switch but you will start getting it. Jiu jitsu is a bucket filled one drop at a time. it may fill slower or faster but just know everytime you train you get better.

12/8/12 7:34 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just so you know "got bummed" means you were forcibly penetrated in the anus by a turgid phallus

12/11/12 1:08 PM
Jits_n_Hoez

Train for a year, things will start to fall in place. You are still fresh, don't sweat it, don't be bummed or put too much thought into it. Just train. Flow wit da go, I forgot who said that but eventually the pieces of the puzzle will fall into it's place. Phone Post
12/11/12 5:16 PM
Matthieu Battle
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jiu jitsu is hard. even if you genuinely love the game you're still gonna spend most of your 1st few years - YEARS - getting smashed much of the time. even once you make peace with this, some days it can be demoralizing. you either quit or you learn to overlook those shitty days in favor of those perfect moments where you hit the sweep just so or when a transition clicks into a submission effortlessly.

aside from the physical element, just learning bjj can be overwhelming. there are a lot of different positions that you're gonna be in every time you roll. and each of these positions will have lots of common options and a shit ton of less common stuff. there's a lot to keep up with and you can only learn so much at any given time. you do what you can, but a lot of stuff is just gonna bounce right off. even after a few years and lots of experience, some things just won't sink in easily. there's just so much to learn and you can almost always go deeper in every move. just learning the upa doesn't mean you're done learning the upa, for example.

just enjoy it as much as you can and keep training.
12/11/12 5:27 PM
ChokeTheFace
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like bummedbrolo is the guard for you. Phone Post
12/11/12 5:48 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any possible problem you can have, tonnes of others have had, if not everyone. Just keep going. Phone Post
12/12/12 4:29 PM
Howard Kinnard
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All us British guys were smiling at you all admitting to "getting bummed" in training. Phone Post
12/12/12 7:28 PM
Akston
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will suck for a long time to come, enjoy the fact that there is no pressure on you to be good Phone Post
12/12/12 7:44 PM
thebasher

Howard Kinnard -  All us British guys were smiling at you all admitting to "getting bummed" in training. Phone Post

yep - assumed it was a troll thread
12/12/12 11:03 PM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you sucked and then got bummed?
12/12/12 11:10 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Howard Kinnard -  All us British guys were smiling at you all admitting to "getting bummed" in training. Phone Post

I guess BJJ schools are a little different in the States.
12/12/12 11:21 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jakeklipp - 
nogidavid - 

just so you know "got bummed" means you were forcibly penetrated in the anus by a turgid phallus

what country are you from? what aint no country i ever heard of. they speak english in what?

sit the fuck down new guy

12/13/12 8:27 AM
BigEyedFish
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herbish1 - Yes it's normal, but there are gonna be times when you do something and you can't believe what your body did. Those are the things to hang on to and use as motivation.

This.

Everyone tends to focus on the physical challenge that BJJ presents. But equally as tough are the mental and emotional peaks and valleys along the way in your journey. You have high highs where you hit everything in a session, and low lows where after years you think you know nothing. This never really goes away IMHO. You have to understand that taking the BJJ journey is lifelong and these challenges are a part of it all. If this wasnt so tough, so many people wouldnt drop out of the hobby. Its tough.

I always remind myself that i have to have fun. So 80% of the time when I go to class, I go there with a mandate - to try and execute one or two moves, be it a choke or sweep or whatever. But the other 20% I go to class with nothing - just flow and roll and have fun with it, no pressure. This has kept me going...
12/13/12 9:02 AM
naylor152

I started in Jan this year and got utterly smashed by everybody, it was humbling. My ego was well and truly raped. I stuck with it, kept training and kept working hard, I got my blue belt september and on saturday won gold in my first blue belt comp.

Stick with it, it only gets better. Amazing sport, wish I found it 10 years ago. Phone Post
12/13/12 5:15 PM
leglockfan
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pride Wanderlei -  So I've only trained BJJ for a few months, but When training with 4stripe whites or blues they have a fairly simple time against me. When im not training or going over technique I think I do a goodjob of remembering the moves, but when im actually "live training" its like my mind goes blank. Is this a normal thing for a white belt? Phone Post

If you aren't occasionally getting bummed then there is probably a problem in my opinion. Getting bummed or emotional about your lack of advancement shows that you care and aren't just going through motions. Don't focus on who is "beating" you in class or how you are keeping up with everyone else. Just make sure every time you get on the mat you are making progress.
12/13/12 6:24 PM
biggator
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flo chart the techniques you know and start to learn what you can do if you are in their guard what you can do if you are mounted ect. i find that whites getting lost that know moves are thinking too much and if you break your game down to positions you can remember the 2 or 3 techs. you know from each position. mount top and bottom. side mount top and bottom. guard... back... then how to transition from one to another.

good luck have fun. its just a game.
12/13/12 6:37 PM
nogidavid

jakeklipp - 
nogidavid - 
jakeklipp - 
nogidavid - 

what country are you from? what aint no country i ever heard of. they speak english in what?

sit the fuck down new guy

pulp fiction.

no shit, new guy. it was funny in pulp fiction though

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.