UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Best shoulder stretches?

12/8/12 11:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had some lordosis and have pretty much eliminated it by doing the couch stretch and the other hip flexor stretch that looks sort of like a lunge.

Is there an equivalently effective stretch for the shoulders? The issue I have is that when I put my arms over my head, as in a press, or if I were lying on my stomach and put them over my head like Superman, my arms are way in front of my head. Everyone else's arms in that position seem to be behind their ears; mine are well in front of my ears.

I do the shoulder dislocations with a broomstick religiously, but it doesn't seem to have done anything at all. What's the best stretch for this particular inflexibility?

Thanks.

12/10/12 9:09 AM
Frobenius

I have the same problem. I've been doing db retractions and chins in place of bench and press, feels like its helping a bit. Phone Post
12/10/12 11:47 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One good one is to lay down on your back, and flatten your back against the floor. Take a light weight (I use about 12 lbs in a flat bar) grip it with a supinated grip. Put your knuckles on the floor (so the weight is resting in your hands on the floor) just above your head and slowly slide your hands along the floor away from your head. Keep your elbows pointed to the sky. Once you get to a sticking point, breath it out with long, slow shallow breaths and on an exhale after you've relaxed the muscles, go further.

Enjoy.
12/10/12 12:21 PM
orcus

Interesting, I'll try that, thanks.

I also tried batwings for a couple months with no results. I'd like to do inverted rows but don't have anywhere to do them really. 

Frobenius, I did chins and weighted chins for decades and they never did anything for me as far as this goes. In fact my current routine (Starting Strength) is the first time in my life chins aren't part of my workout.

12/10/12 12:35 PM
martinburke
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In some o my clients, I find that the fascia associated with the outer edge of pectoralis shortens and becomes full of adhesions.

Reach up to the outer edge with the opposite hand(ex. left hand to right outer pec), pull the tissue down to the opposite(left)hip and pin it with your fingers.

Now raise your right arm up and force that tissue to get ironed out under your fingers. Reload and repeat as needed, moving up or down the line wherever you feel stuck tissue.

Another spot that can restrict movement is the sternoclavicular joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMso1BhFXmo
12/10/12 1:43 PM
dizz
552 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 1:43 PM

Get on a table, lie on your back, take a light dumbbell and put your hand above your head like you're pressing it...then just let the dumbbell and gravity work and pull your hand towards the ground, should stretch your shoulder pretty well

Edit: i think this may be similar to what vermonter suggested

12/10/12 1:56 PM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martinburke - In some o my clients, I find that the fascia associated with the outer edge of pectoralis shortens and becomes full of adhesions.

Reach up to the outer edge with the opposite hand(ex. left hand to right outer pec), pull the tissue down to the opposite(left)hip and pin it with your fingers.

Now raise your right arm up and force that tissue to get ironed out under your fingers. Reload and repeat as needed, moving up or down the line wherever you feel stuck tissue.

Another spot that can restrict movement is the sternoclavicular joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMso1BhFXmo

Martin, Thanks for that vid.

Do you find that the fingers have enough strength to alleviate adhesions with the movement you mention?
12/10/12 3:26 PM
martinburke
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh yeah, fingers are plenty strong enough. The key with fascia is to take your time and not try to get it all in one shot. You have to bring the tissue to "the barrier" where it just starts to resist and tug back, and only take what it's willing to give on that attempt.

Forcing the fascia is when it fights back and the pain starts.

It make take 10-15 passes, but you'll feel it open and lengthen eventually. Just be patient with it.

There's another technique I use to free up the scapulohumeral rhythm. It requires a victim and a perpetrator:

Have the victim lie face down with the affected shoulder hanging freely off the side of the bed/table. The perpetrator pushes the shoulder blade in toward the spine and blocks it there. DON'T let it move!

Have the victim raise his arm in the sagittal plane(so that he resembles Superman flying). DON'T allow the shoulder blade to move out! You may hear/feel things popping under the scapula. Have the victim raise the arm as far as possible, then have him relax. Then push the shoulder blade in further and repeat the process until you don't hear/feel popping or until you can easily move the scapula back and forth and lift it away from the ribs.

Or until the victim threatens to kill you:)
12/10/12 4:32 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had this same issue. Being a office worker, who also benched too much and didn't train back enough, my shoulders were pulled forward by tight pecs and a weak upper back/rear delts.

What really helped me was:

1. Stretch out tight pecs and lats -
(30 sec each side at least once a day). I do the doorway pec stretch one side at a time, and for the lat stretch this: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/images/pics/week67/ask_joe_clip_image006_0000.jpg

2. Band Pull Aparts and Face Pulls -
For the face pulls twice a week in the gym I would end my workout with them doing 3-4 sets of 10. I do them seated, with the rope attachment, like the first variation here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbpmaP-Oxz8 I keep them really light, so I can make sure to get a good 1 sec squeeze at contraction.

For the band pull aparts, I use an elitefts mini band like this: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=138&m=PD&pid=246

I do the pull aparts 5 nights a week. This I feel has really helped the most the pull my shoulders back and counter act the 8 hours a day I spend hunched over a desk.
An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAHASrqPPE
I usually do 2 x 20 like in the video, and then 2 x 20 with elbows near my body and a close grip. Takes about 3 min a night and has help beyond belief.

Hope this helps.
12/10/12 9:02 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

A lot of shoulder issues are exacerbated by tight lats and pecs. Stretch them out too.
12/12/12 12:17 AM
irishrottie
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

try swimming

12/12/12 5:19 PM
Leigh
713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hang from a bar. One arm swings feel great for my shoulders. I also reach down behind my back and then up, then grab a bar and gently put weight on it Phone Post
12/13/12 4:53 AM
HERTSWENIP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/13/12 4:53 AM
Get a length of PVC pipe or stick that's almost your height in length. Hold above in a very wide pronated grip, (as if you were doign an overhead snatch) and move the pipe/stick behind your back down to waist level, and back up again. Hold different positions statically and try to shorten/lengthen the pipe with your hands (of course the pipe won't actually change length, but hold static contractions in various positions) . Another is to hold the pipe in one hand, and extend your arm overhead, and bend your arm as if you were sheathing a sword on your back like heman, elbow pointing straight up. With the other arm, place your hand behind your back and grab the pipe/stick, inch your hands closer together.
12/13/12 8:11 AM
Leigh
713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Indeed, doing snatches loosened my shoulders and improved flexibility Phone Post
12/13/12 9:41 AM
Frobenius

Leigh -  Indeed, doing snatches loosened my shoulders and improved flexibility Phone Post

As in olympic snatches?

I found oly lifts didnt really help, you already have to be able to get your arms back in order to complete the lift. It was near impossible for me to really get in the position.

12/13/12 9:45 AM
Leigh

I was the same but doing them with a manageable weight really made a difference. I was very surprised.

Yes, Olympic snatches
12/17/12 8:00 PM
CrossFit650

Grab a PVC at least 4 ft. Hold in front of you like a sword and let it drop down behind your shoulder. Your elbow should be up and hand on the PVC as if your throwing something.

Now take other arm, reach across your stomach and grab PVC. Whole maintaining a throwing position with the PVC hand try and pull the PVC to the opposite hip!

You will now when your doing it right. Go 30 seconds each arm at least twice a day. Phone Post
12/17/12 9:31 PM
Hywel Teague
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K-Starr has the answers. 

Shoulder mob stuff 

12/18/12 12:15 AM
orcus

Gonna do most of these, thanks!

12/18/12 3:27 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Indianclubs.com Phone Post
1/9/13 8:47 AM
Crw
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some great advice Phone Post
1/9/13 11:46 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V2Exzb324&list=PL92511B1D7FB09BF6&index=3

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.