UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Question about Walking Dead

12/8/12 2:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do they really not call them "zombies"? I saw something mentioning "walkers".

I have a pet peeve about people in movies and stories not calling things what they painfully obviously are. Like when no one in a vampire movie uses the word "vampire" or no one in a zombie movie calls them "zombies". These movies are supposed to be set in what is basically our world, why the fuck would no one be using these words? It's just pretentious and stupid imo. 

12/8/12 2:48 PM
fryabusa
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Walking Dead doesn't take place in our world, it takes place in a world of it's own where they don't have the term zombies.

12/8/12 3:01 PM
Kneeblock
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That you have to ask this question implies you haven't read the series. 

That you haven't read this series means you may as well be a walker. :-P

12/8/12 5:43 PM
orcus

fryabusa - 

The Walking Dead doesn't take place in our world, it takes place in a world of it's own where they don't have the term zombies.

If they have movies and a country called Haiti, they have the term "zombie".

12/8/12 6:38 PM
danny A
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The writer Robert Kirkman has explained that the Romero movies don't exist in the Walking Dead universe.
12/8/12 8:11 PM
WildFireJoe
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They refer to them as zombies in the comic if I remember correctly. Either way, it isn't a term as commonly used as the other two they use to describe zombies.

There are two different types of zombies in the Walking Dead universe:

"Walkers" are up and walking around, looking for stuff to eat. The tend to form "herds" of zombies.

"Lurkers" lie on the ground, not moving and waiting for prey to come to them. Sometimes if a Walker walks by they'll stand up and follow the Walker, possibly joining a herd.
12/9/12 7:41 AM
MarkRobinson
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock -

That you have to ask this question implies you haven't read the series. 

That you haven't read this series means you may as well be a walker. :-P

Ouch! Phone Post
12/9/12 10:59 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 
fryabusa - 

If they have movies and a country called Haiti, they have the term "zombie".

Not if the Haitians in their universe never came up with the idea or coined the term.  Just like we wouldn't have the word if our Haitians didn't do that.  Just like eskimos supposedly have 30 words for yellow snow but no word for war.  

12/9/12 1:31 PM
Alger Hiss
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your question is illogical. It's like asking why the people in Jurassic Park cloned the dinosaurs - Haven't they ever seen Jurassic park?
12/9/12 3:04 PM
Zenoplata
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see nothing wrong with biter or walker.

12/9/12 4:24 PM
Augie Max
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com
Glenn refers to them as zombies when he first meets Rick and they have to jump to the next building top. Phone Post
12/9/12 9:22 PM
orcus

Alger Hiss - Your question is illogical. It's like asking why the people in Jurassic Park cloned the dinosaurs - Haven't they ever seen Jurassic park?

My question doesn't depend on circular logic.

"The writer Robert Kirkman has explained that the Romero movies don't exist in the Walking Dead universe."

Since the late 19th century, zombies have acquired notable popularity, especially in North American and European folklore.

Anyway, whatever. It just smacks of pretension and the reasons given for it never satisfy. Just a pet peeve. I think 30 Days of Night did it too maybe, never said "vampire".

12/10/12 12:23 PM
None So Blind
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Well, to be fair, I guess some old-timers see the word "vampire" and think of a guy in a cape seducing a chick in a nightie, not a pack of monsters that pounce on a person en masse and rip them to shreds :-P
12/10/12 6:07 PM
Wet Fish
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bitches are in denial Phone Post
12/10/12 6:07 PM
Wet Fish
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bitches are in denial Phone Post
12/10/12 8:16 PM
killacox

in that universe anyone who dies becomes a zombie and being attacked just accelerates the process?

because how does amputation work to stop the turning process?
12/10/12 9:31 PM
Jobe Watson the Bomber
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they know they're called zombies then they know that you turn from bites and they die from head shots. Takes away the fun if they already know what they're dealing with. Phone Post
12/10/12 10:15 PM
Alger Hiss
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is not as directly circular, but it still is. It's a bit too meta to have people in a genre story be aware that they are in a genre.
12/11/12 11:21 AM
None So Blind
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just re-read a couple early issues (where they were on Herschel's farm) - he called them "zombies" repeatedly...
12/11/12 11:53 AM
orcus

Alger Hiss - It is not as directly circular, but it still is. It's a bit too meta to have people in a genre story be aware that they are in a genre.

I don't in any way think they have to be aware they're in a genre. There are hundreds of years of legends and folklore about zombies before we ever got to movies.

If you saw a man turn into a wolf would you call him a werewolf, or would you make up some gay name for it? Skinshifter? Hairmorpher? Manimal? 

Authors want us to believe their characters as real people, and real people would know what to call a shuffling guy who rose from the dead, or someone who drinks your blood and can't go out in the daytime, or turns into a wolf. I find stories where they do that much more convincing. Salem's Lot, for example. Even goofy stuff like The Monster Squad or Lost Boys. Everyone knows what vampires, zombies, mummies, werewolves, etc are, and when characters in what is otherwise presented as the "real" world don't use those terms, it rings hilariously false.

"Just re-read a couple early issues (where they were on Herschel's farm) - he called them "zombies" repeatedly..."

Nice!

"If they know they're called zombies then they know that you turn from bites and they die from head shots. Takes away the fun if they already know what they're dealing with."

Nah, just because they fit the description we all know -- undead people -- doesn't mean that the real-life version exactly fits the folklore/pop culture one down to weaknesses etc. 

12/11/12 1:02 PM
None So Blind

orcus - 
Alger Hiss - It is not as directly circular, but it still is. It's a bit too meta to have people in a genre story be aware that they are in a genre.

I don't in any way think they have to be aware they're in a genre. There are hundreds of years of legends and folklore about zombies before we ever got to movies.

If you saw a man turn into a wolf would you call him a werewolf, or would you make up some gay name for it? Skinshifter? Hairmorpher? Manimal? 

Authors want us to believe their characters as real people, and real people would know what to call a shuffling guy who rose from the dead, or someone who drinks your blood and can't go out in the daytime, or turns into a wolf. I find stories where they do that much more convincing. Salem's Lot, for example. Even goofy stuff like The Monster Squad or Lost Boys. Everyone knows what vampires, zombies, mummies, werewolves, etc are, and when characters in what is otherwise presented as the "real" world don't use those terms, it rings hilariously false.

"Just re-read a couple early issues (where they were on Herschel's farm) - he called them "zombies" repeatedly..."

Nice!

"If they know they're called zombies then they know that you turn from bites and they die from head shots. Takes away the fun if they already know what they're dealing with."

Nah, just because they fit the description we all know -- undead people -- doesn't mean that the real-life version exactly fits the folklore/pop culture one down to weaknesses etc. 

Just once I would like to see someone fuck with convention and have zombies who die only from being shot in the kidneys or some shit - after all the self-aware characters shoot the z's in the head and they don't drop, it could get fun :-P
12/11/12 2:21 PM
orcus

The brain thing never made the slightest bit of sense to me in the first place, and I wish writers would stop reinforcing it. These things are DEAD. Some of them no doubt died of brain injuries in the first place. Why would putting another hole in their non-functioning, rotting brain do anything? I mean it's cool if one particular writer wants to have that be a weakness, but since it's not exactly logical, there's no reason for every writer to follow suit.

The only way to kill them should be fire, acid, crushing to a pulp, pushing in a woodchipper, etc. Just total breakdown.

12/11/12 8:57 PM
Alger Hiss

I'm not sure if I can really concede your point. The Romero movies are the entire source of what we today call a "zombie".

Previously, all that our culture considered to be "zombie" stemmed from things such as White Zombie (the movie, not the band with the green-haired babe and that douche) and its ilk. The word was deeply identified with Hatian myth; essentially a body whose soul was in some way being enslaved by a Bokor or other wizard. With the one little alteration of removing the Romero movies from existence in the TWD universe, their modern western culture would in no way identify the shambling corpses we all know and love as a "Zombie".
12/11/12 9:00 PM
Alger Hiss

What I'm getting at is it is not as big of an alt-history requirement as removing something like werewolves (aka skinwalkers, not a novel alternate term at all), angels, or to a lesser extent, vampires from the cultural consciousness of a society.
12/11/12 10:10 PM
orcus

I see your point I suppose, but saying the Romero movies didn't happen in that universe is itself a pointless and silly thing to do.

Also according to wiki the word "zombie" wasn't even used in Night of the Living Dead, interestingly enough.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.