UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Question about Walking Dead

12/12/12 12:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alger Hiss
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really just a stylistic conceit; Zombies are generally pretty silly or sci-fi-ish or omnipresent in fiction these days. It's much harder to generate the kind of somber drama Kirkman goes for while working around a word with the myriad off-colour connotations that "Zombie" has.

Use of that word would really take the reader out of the narrative as it is, and firmly plant them in the genre mindset.
12/12/12 10:19 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Use of that word would really take the reader out of the narrative as it is, and firmly plant them in the genre mindset."

For me it's the opposite, having characters in America walking around American supermarkets with American cars broken down on the highways not calling shuffling undead "zombies" really breaks me out of it.

But Ted said there were quite a few references to "zombies" early on in any case, so obviously that term does exist in that world...so it's even more silly to tiptoe around it.

12/12/12 10:36 PM
Zenoplata
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think they're tiptoeing around it, I just think the groups came up with different words that stuck. Is it silly that they're not refered to as the Living Dead or Ghouls?

When you actually see a reanimated corpse in front of you, the idea of calling it a zombie probably seems as silly as calling it a Frankenstein or Dracula. It would make sense to me that the group gave it a name that uniquely identifies it as something real to them.

12/13/12 12:00 AM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus my man, it's really a genuine wonder you ever enjoy anything.

12/13/12 12:43 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.