UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Wanna Start Bow Hunting TME

12/8/12 6:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
notsometourist
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never hunted before but I am going to start. I live in Ontario, so there are certain things I'll need to do to get a licence. I know nothing about bows and I'd like to have an idea of what to get when I eventually get licenced. My budget is about $350. I'll be looking to hunt mostly members of the deer family, maybe even mountain goat. What should I look for in buying a bow for hunting these animals?

12/10/12 8:28 PM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at that price its gonna be tough. 350 might get you a used bow but i would spend a little more and either get a ready to hunt package from bear archery, mission, bowtech has there assassin but thats over your budget.

but if you go with a bare(nothing on it) bow you can get a nice one for that price but then add in sight($30) rest(30) arrows(30) broadheads(30) release(30-45) stabilizer(15) peep,d loop,(30 at proshop) and mind you this is all cheap shit besides broadheads.

If you jump on archerytalk.com and go to the classifieds you might be able to find something fully set up. and read all the info on huntersfriend.com its on the bottom of the website its gives alot of informative information.
12/11/12 1:59 PM
Dirtywhiteboy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out this site, look through the bows & stuff, read the different articles etc.  (imo) It's the best site out there to get fully set up with a bow, ready to hunt, target shoot, whatever.  It has a section that explains "draw length", check that out. 

You can get a bow at your door, ready to shoot, cheaper than just about anywhere.

http://huntersfriend.com/

12/30/12 11:57 PM
ShakeNBake
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
1/28/13 4:02 PM
SwampRocker
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in.
i've had a bow for 7 years and have been wanting to learn. finaly i got to go have my first 'lesson' yesterday.

practiced on a deer decoy. it was great. now i just want to keep practicing and hunt.

i did not get to use my bow as it was missing all of this stuff. (sight($30) rest(30) arrows(30) broadheads(30) release(30-45) stabilizer(15) peep,d loop,(30 at proshop))

looking on line for the stuff and it all looks to be twice as much as listed here. where can i go to find those prices?
2/7/13 12:25 AM
Muppetmower88

Dunhams sporting goods, Dicks sporting goods. They will have those prices.

Starting off you dont need all the expensive gear unless you want to go that route.

I dont know what sites your looking at but ramcat broadheads $33, whisker biskit rest $35, arrows at sporting goods stores are usually $30-$45 for (6). A release can be had for $20 if you want or $100. stabs are usually $20 as well look at limbsaver. But the d-loop and peep(go tubeless) will be around 30 bucks at the proshop to put that on.
3/11/13 1:51 PM
Aaron Becker

you can get a nice bow for that price, Diamond Archery makes decent bows in that price range, Razors Edge and Infinate Edge models would be around there, but for a really good beginner, you get get way more for the $500 range but the tow bows I stated are nice too
3/18/13 5:54 PM
Zilla2000

Don't expect to take many shots longer than 30yds until you have really put the practice in. Maximum realistic hunting range for a bow is prolly 50yds for most people.
3/28/13 8:12 PM
grappler66
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best to go to an archery shop. Have them check your draw length and what weight you are ok with.

Your bow should be paper tuned and then sighted in or your gonna have a hard time hitting the target.

You should be able to find a used bow in your price range that will fit you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.