UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> body weight workout

12/8/12 8:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jpt123
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone have a good body weight routine
12/8/12 10:56 PM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SCRAPPER

TAKU

12/9/12 5:16 PM
imkeithhernandez
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stew Smith..Navy Seal Fitness.great bodyweight program Phone Post
12/13/12 9:40 PM
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Convict Conditioning"
12/14/12 4:16 AM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0LZ37vGqOk
12/15/12 5:35 AM
Soup Nazi
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/15/12 10:07 AM
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/15/12 10:07 AM
What have you people been doing with your lives that you weren't here a decade ago doing scrapper's workouts??
12/21/12 11:46 PM
El_Varaco
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
12/22/12 7:48 PM
The Gunslinger

Building the gymnastic body is the most comprehensive I've seen so far. I've heard good things about convict conditioning, but I've never seen it myself. Sommers doesn't have an exact routine in the book, its made to build your own, though he posts one on his website.
12/22/12 10:54 PM
ruggerbouy

I've had severe lower back problem and shoulder problems from both rugby and my job, and starting out in MMA has aggravated them. "Convict Conditioning" (not to sound like a traveling salesmen) has both strengthened all the areas I've had problems with in the past but also made them for the most part go away, basically how I would break it down is like this.

When we're active kids, we spend time outside running around and building up our muscles, as we get older, we shift from more dynamic means of excercise to more rigid lifts and often without blame or thinking about it we neglect certain things like the ability to be strong and flexible. ex: how many can squat over 300 lbs. probably quite a few, now how many can do a single leg squat and touch there ass to the calf muscle for the same amount of reps per leg.

The routine I've have been doing for about a year now is a combo of convict condition and the 5/3/1 I've noticed both my overall strength also my power and flexability go through the roof.

In the end the line from the book "convict conditioning" that got me the most was somthing like "we were meant to move ourselves around, so why would we try and move and external object before we have mastery over our own body", he by no mean discredits or says dont weight lift. All he says is your should maybe take a step back and concentrate on more fundamental strength kind of a crawl before walking mentality.

This I belive is one of the biggest problems with dudes in fitness is a severe ego problem in that they think these fundamental excercises they did as kids are above them, problem is unless you went from childhood to this moment your reading this continuing that active lifestyle then your probably lost A LOT of that basic strength. I dont know about the rest of you but at age 10 I could flip backwards into a bridge postion, I could walk on my hands, and do the splits, I'm working back to that now, but only because I've humbled myself and realised the best way to move ahead is to take a couple steps back ensuring I dont hurt myself 1 week into a routine, and stick to it.

Taku, cuss me out dude, I'm sure I missed somthing lol :)

anyway thats my 2 cents on it, if you dont wanna try convict conditioning all I'll say is stay humble when working out that doesnt mean dont drive your body and push your limits but look at yourself in the mirror and know what you can and can not do 

RB

12/23/12 10:56 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gunslinger - Building the gymnastic body is the most comprehensive I've seen so far. I've heard good things about convict conditioning, but I've never seen it myself. Sommers doesn't have an exact routine in the book, its made to build your own, though he posts one on his website.

What's the routine he posts on his site?
12/24/12 2:23 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

gymnastic body is amazing. but not really so much with lowerbody stuff which is a shame. 

Convict Conditioning is very straight forward with alternatives to things like dips if you've no sturdy chairs or something. 

12/26/12 1:38 PM
cdueck
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for more stuff.

12/26/12 2:47 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - 

gymnastic body is amazing. but not really so much with lowerbody stuff which is a shame. 

Convict Conditioning is very straight forward with alternatives to things like dips if you've no sturdy chairs or something. 

Eh. I think the lower body portion is pretty good for body weight. The progressions aren't easy for the squats.
12/26/12 6:53 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

AA could you elaborate on that? I have the Gymnastic Bodies book but I've not picked it up in about 2 years but I don't remember any LB stuff really. You mean the progressions for the pistol squats? Steve Maxwell's work has made them and some people I taught them too very learnable.

12/26/12 9:10 PM
VincentVega

. Phone Post
12/26/12 10:31 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - 

AA could you elaborate on that? I have the Gymnastic Bodies book but I've not picked it up in about 2 years but I don't remember any LB stuff really. You mean the progressions for the pistol squats? Steve Maxwell's work has made them and some people I taught them too very learnable.

Yeah. The way I remember the progression is:

* Do one exercise until you can do a 3x15 with 1:00 rest between sets

Deck Squat > Deck Squat to box jump (up to specific height) > Deck squat into box jump from distance (up to the previous height from a specific distance) > Pistol deck squat > Pistol deck squat into box jump (same as 2-legged) > Pistol deck squat for height and distance (same as 2-legged)

Then you start adding weight via a weight vest and going through the pistol progression.

I'm not saying it's the most mind-blowing, best thing, but I didn't find GB lacking in lower body work and progressions. That's all. :)
12/27/12 8:03 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

I find the squat to be superior :)

Also, Maxwell had an actual technical progression. He starts in the bottom position and you hold it until you can do one fulll minute straight.

the times you've listed is what I've used for things like back and front levers, l sits on the floor and the planche. 

sprinting and running helps legs as well obviously if that's your goal haha

12/27/12 11:09 AM
Adventure Runner

Those are reps. Not seconds. ;)
12/27/12 12:58 PM
Adventure Runner

imkeithhernandez -  Stew Smith..Navy Seal Fitness.great bodyweight program Phone Post

btw, his Maximum Fitness book is pretty damn good. It has 4 13-week cycles to last a year. The first is a sort of calesthenics prep program, then it goes into a rigorous bw/run/bike/swim program, then it starts adding weights, and the last cycle is almost exclusively weights.

I've been tempted to follow it a few times, but ultimately I like making my own programs.
12/27/12 1:44 PM
The Gunslinger

Sommers posts a workout of the day on his website.
12/27/12 3:06 PM
NeoSpartan
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overcoming Gravity by Steve Low
12/27/12 3:07 PM
NeoSpartan
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also, Beastskills.com
12/27/12 5:18 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

Adventure Runner - Those are reps. Not seconds. ;)

no, I think that's wrong brother. His whole point is to get to a ONE MINUTE TOTAL hold before moving on.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/

that's a write up on all his progressoins. he consistently says reps and sets are up to you for a total of one minute.  I'm not talking about the pistol squat overall, I'm talking about the progressions. To learn the pistol squat you need to master the bottom position for a total of one minute so first a. arms out b. arms close in c. arms to the side. 

http://www.maxwellsc.com/blog.cfm?blogID=60

from the article 

Development #3

Single leg balance

1.        Slowly lower yourself down into the Chinese squat as described above

2.        At the bottom, shift the weight to one leg and slowly slide out the other leg, then straighten it--you may keep the heel of the extending leg in contact with the floor for balance

3.        Maintain this position, balancing for 10-15 seconds

4.        Switch back--again slowly--and do the other leg

5.        Rest

6.        Repeat until the total of static balancing time on each leg equals one minute.

12/27/12 9:00 PM
NeoSpartan

Arthur.

AR got that from the forums. What you're talking about is something slightly different. Same GB concepts though. The 3x15 thing is a different progression. You're working off the SSC metrics (steady state cycle iirc).

So you're both right.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.