UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> body weight workout

12/27/12 9:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ah I see. okay cool :)

12/29/12 9:54 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - 
Adventure Runner - Those are reps. Not seconds. ;)

no, I think that's wrong brother. His whole point is to get to a ONE MINUTE TOTAL hold before moving on.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/building-an-olympic-body-through-bodyweight-conditioning/

that's a write up on all his progressoins. he consistently says reps and sets are up to you for a total of one minute.  I'm not talking about the pistol squat overall, I'm talking about the progressions. To learn the pistol squat you need to master the bottom position for a total of one minute so first a. arms out b. arms close in c. arms to the side. 

http://www.maxwellsc.com/blog.cfm?blogID=60

from the article 

Development #3

Single leg balance

1.        Slowly lower yourself down into the Chinese squat as described above

2.        At the bottom, shift the weight to one leg and slowly slide out the other leg, then straighten it--you may keep the heel of the extending leg in contact with the floor for balance

3.        Maintain this position, balancing for 10-15 seconds

4.        Switch back--again slowly--and do the other leg

5.        Rest

6.        Repeat until the total of static balancing time on each leg equals one minute.

No it's reps. If you can do 3 sets of 15 reps of 36" deck squat box jumps from a distance, then you can do a desk squat pistol. Hence the way the progressions are made. Sommer has said pretty repeatedly in his forums that the dynamic movements are meant to be done in progressions of 3x15 reps for lowerbody and upperbody should be 3x5 reps (PPP pushups, bulgarian dips, etc)
12/29/12 12:34 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah I was talking about his static holds. NVM NeoSpartan cleared it up all ready :)

however, the pistol squat technique that Maxwell teaches in the bottom position is based on a static hold hence the one minute total time.

we were just on two different topics.

1/7/13 10:14 PM
volio
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

workingclassfitness.com Phone Post
1/11/13 3:20 AM
PARAD0X
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
1/14/13 9:53 PM
palmmute
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/14/13 11:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scrapper's program is a great start for many. legs, upper body push/pull, core - check.

1/20/13 11:24 AM
rhino x2
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In

For a few reasons
2/9/13 3:54 AM
factchecker

1)Hand-stand push-ups(your feet rested against the wall)

I would say to go for this movement if you can do four or five reps. You can probably work up to close to 20 reps if you keep working on this, then hit a sticking point(just like the pullup).

It's fun if you get to around 10 reps or more, but stop doin this if you start feeling funny in the shoulder area. It is not a full range of motion, so you should be aware that more resistance than you can normally handle with weights is on your shoulders.

2)Push-ups with your feet elevated.

These work your abs isometrically, too. Boring, though.

3)Single-leg squat with a chair.

Squat until your butt touches the pad, then extend your leg. Good exercise, but it takes time and patience to make this part of your routine.

4)Any type of neck exercises wrestlers do.

5)Doorframe pull-up.

I would go out of my way to get this equiment if I had to be away for a while from the gym or my home.

6)Sit-ups

Oldie and goodie, but boring.
2/9/13 3:59 AM
factchecker

If you superset the handstand push-up with the pull-up, your muscles get superpumped like no other. It feels amazing.
2/18/13 1:29 AM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
8/30/13 2:27 PM
soundoff71
847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/30/13 2:27 PM

Question re: pistols:

A big issue with pistols is ankle mobility.  Any type of Mobilidy WOD exercies that you guys think would help with pistol ankle mobility?

Thanks in advance.

8/30/13 9:39 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

I miss my blue name :(
9/2/13 2:11 PM
Tommy Gunnz
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 5:55 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soundoff71 - 

A big issue with pistols is ankle mobility.  Any type of Mobilidy WOD exercies that you guys think would help with pistol ankle mobility?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry i can't give you any mobility links, but a short term solution is simply to stand on a raised platfrom for your one legged squats. A book, chair, etc, anything that will let you get deep enough without having great flexbility.
9/6/13 12:51 AM
soundoff71
847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - 
soundoff71 - 

Thanks in advance.

Sorry i can't give you any mobility links, but a short term solution is simply to stand on a raised platfrom for your one legged squats. A book, chair, etc, anything that will let you get deep enough without having great flexbility.

Just saw this.  Thanks for the tip HULC, & VTFU.

9/9/13 10:42 PM
Tommy Gunnz
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great stuff in here!
9/11/13 12:12 PM
Inked624
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 8:31 PM
Elwoood
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=12&cart_category_ID=56&&cart_ID=96

Four week Bodyweight plan, from Military Athlete. Phone Post
9/14/13 10:29 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elwoood -  http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=12&cart_category_ID=56&&cart_ID=96

Have you used this plan before? Just linking us to a site where you can buy a workout isn't helpful.
9/15/13 7:58 PM
Elwoood
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC -
Elwoood -  http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=12&cart_category_ID=56&&cart_ID=96

Have you used this plan before? Just linking us to a site where you can buy a workout isn't helpful.
Ok, you can disregard my link then. Phone Post
9/17/13 9:11 AM
HULC

So you haven't used it then?
9/23/13 4:20 PM
random_muppett
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
9/23/13 5:25 PM
mongrel 911
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Mens Health workouts, heres a few links,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hbxEqMMbYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXj89rmT8y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFJe9wTmFBw
10/10/13 6:36 PM
Tommy Gunnz

sub

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.