UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Did Rory Just Break Into The Top 20 Welterweights?

12/8/12 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AshleySchaeffer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pessimist_Pete - He just got his first win against a top 20 welterweight. You guys think he will be in the top 10 by this time next year? Phone Post
Top 3 I'd of thought Phone Post
12/8/12 11:29 PM
clonditdry

Pessimist_Pete -  He just got his first win against a top 20 welterweight. You guys think he will be in the top 10 by this time next year? Phone Post

I'd put Rory at #2 or #3 right now.
12/8/12 11:35 PM
Trane

Imo he just cracked the top 50. Good job Rory. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:48 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Top 10 for sure Phone Post
12/9/12 12:00 AM
Beefy Wellington

JTRipper - Just out of curiosity, what is OP's WW top 10? Phone Post
Yeah? Was thinkin the same thing! Phone Post
12/9/12 12:09 AM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Troll Troll Troll your Boat!!
12/9/12 12:20 AM
CHILLITACO
702 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pessimist_Pete -
Jaybrone -

Rory needs a top 10 opponent finally. Stop protecting him.

This.

And lmao at the bitches voting me down Phone Post
He's already fought conduit? ?? Phone Post
12/9/12 12:21 AM
The_Spider
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. GSP
2. Hendricks
3. Rory
12/9/12 3:11 PM
Tyson86
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pessimist_Pete - In no particular order, GSP, Hendricks, Diaz, Alves, Maia, Fitch, Ellenberger, Kampman, Condit, Shields, maybe Koscheck

Rory is probably 18 or 19 on my list Phone Post
Please list the 18 welterweights you rank ahead of Rory, and leave none out.

I need a good laugh. Phone Post
12/9/12 3:17 PM
funwithbakedgoods

I hope this is a troll. Rory is top five at ww
12/9/12 3:18 PM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Top 5 in the rankings, but I think he'd beat anyone in the WW division right now.
12/9/12 3:24 PM
Beefy Wellington

Pessimist_Pete - In no particular order, GSP, Hendricks, Diaz, Alves, Maia, Fitch, Ellenberger, Kampman, Condit, Shields, maybe Koscheck

Is this your list from 2010??? Phone Post
12/9/12 3:26 PM
Ip Man 81

U can't even name 18 welterweights I bet Phone Post
12/9/12 3:35 PM
mghan44
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP is clearly clueless and doesn't deserve a response, but I will anyway because it's late and I'm bored.

Rory dominated Condit for 2 rounds when he was, what, 19? Has absolutely smashed everyone else he has faced, looking amazing and technical.

People said the same thing about Jon Jones even after the Bader fight, saying he had no shot against Rua and that he hadn't REALLY fought anyone world class at that point.

But anyone who paid attention to MMA knew what Jones was. It isn't only WHO you fight but HOW you fight. Anyone who tries to deny the kind of talent that Rory has is in real denial and just doesn't like him for whatever reason.

I wouldn't argue that Rory is #1 contender, but not having him top 10 is silly IMO.
12/9/12 3:43 PM
mghan44
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh and Thiago Alves is 2-4 in his last six with wins over John Howard and Papy Abedi. Please explain that logic.
12/9/12 3:48 PM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your all being trolled Phone Post
12/9/12 3:58 PM
SolracoMMA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Super troll is actually finny Phone Post
12/9/12 4:26 PM
jitsnbeer

Rory definitely in the top 10. For him to break top 5 he needs to beat Fitch and Kos.. They are the gate keepers to number one contender status.
12/9/12 4:30 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. GSP

2. Johny Hendricks

3. Carlos Condit

4. Jon Fitch 

5. Nick Diaz

6. Rory Macdonald

7. Martin Kampmann

8. Jake Ellenberger

9. Josh Koscheck

10. Demian Maia

12/10/12 12:46 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ip Man 81 -

Theres really about 17 guys you could make an argument for being top 20 at welterweight. It's very deep right now. Phone Post
12/10/12 12:46 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Ip Man 81 -

Theres really about 17 guys you could make an argument for being top 20 at welterweight. It's very deep right now. Phone Post
Top 10 I mean. Oops Phone Post
12/10/12 2:04 AM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MachidasStraightLeft - 

1. GSP

2. Johny Hendricks

3. Carlos Condit

4. Jon Fitch 

5. Nick Diaz

6. Rory Macdonald

7. Martin Kampmann

8. Jake Ellenberger

9. Josh Koscheck

10. Demian Maia

Man..I think the guy is talented and will absolutely be in the top 10 but just using this list as an example, theres no way Id put Rory right now above anyone on that list. His best wins are against lightweights and he lost to Condit, it doesnt matter if he was winning. He lost and thats that. Is he talented, sure but he has not done anything to put him above the likes of Kampmann, Ellenberger, Koshchek or Maia.

You can argue that he wins impressively but Cruickshank just won very impressively and I wouldnt rank him anywhere near the top of his division either.

You cant rank people based on the impressiveness of the wins IMO unless its a p4p debate.
12/10/12 2:20 AM
MeGusta

Edited: 12/10/12 2:22 AM
9/10, well trolled
12/10/12 2:21 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/10/12 2:21 AM
<blockquote>Kings21 - <blockquote>MachidasStraightLeft - <p>
1. GSP</p>
<p>
2. Johny Hendricks</p>
<p>
3. Carlos Condit</p>
<p>
4. Jon Fitch </p>
<p>
5. Nick Diaz</p>
<p>
6. Rory Macdonald</p>
<p>
7. Martin Kampmann</p>
<p>
8. Jake Ellenberger</p>
<p>
9. Josh Koscheck</p>
<p>
10. Demian Maia</p></blockquote><br /> Man..I think the guy is talented and will absolutely be in the top 10 but just using this list as an example, theres no way Id put Rory right now above anyone on that list. His best wins are against lightweights and he lost to Condit, it doesnt matter if he was winning. He lost and thats that. Is he talented, sure but he has not done anything to put him above the likes of Kampmann, Ellenberger, Koshchek or Maia. <br /><br />You can argue that he wins impressively but Cruickshank just won very impressively and I wouldnt rank him anywhere near the top of his division either. <br /><br />You cant rank people based on the impressiveness of the wins IMO unless its a p4p debate.</blockquote><br />Maybe you can't rank based on impressiveness of the wins if you're a professional MMA journalist, but it's the most logical way to gauge a fighter's skill. If one fighter gets three victories in a row because his opponents blow out their knees ala Patrick Cote vs Anderson Silva, Sherdog might rank him in the top 10... but I'm certainly not gonna bet on him like he's a top 10 fighter. Edit: Not that I agree with that list anyway.
12/10/12 2:24 AM
MachidasStraightLeft
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - 
MachidasStraightLeft - 

1. GSP

2. Johny Hendricks

3. Carlos Condit

4. Jon Fitch 

5. Nick Diaz

6. Rory Macdonald

7. Martin Kampmann

8. Jake Ellenberger

9. Josh Koscheck

10. Demian Maia

Man..I think the guy is talented and will absolutely be in the top 10 but just using this list as an example, theres no way Id put Rory right now above anyone on that list. His best wins are against lightweights and he lost to Condit, it doesnt matter if he was winning. He lost and thats that. Is he talented, sure but he has not done anything to put him above the likes of Kampmann, Ellenberger, Koshchek or Maia.

You can argue that he wins impressively but Cruickshank just won very impressively and I wouldnt rank him anywhere near the top of his division either.

You cant rank people based on the impressiveness of the wins IMO unless its a p4p debate.

BJ Penn is a legit win and his performance was outstanding.  I don't care if he's best suited as a lightweight, he's still an excellent welterweight.  

He also dominated Nate Diaz, who also handled himself well as a WW.  He finished Davis and Markham and had a pretty close fight with Kim, who has been pretty good in the UFC as well.

I'll concede that the BJ win is his only win over a truly legit oppent, but the nature of that performance and the dominance of his other wins, combined with the fact that he had an ultra-competitive fight against Condit, I have no problem putting Rory in the top 10.

Taking your points into consideration I'd probably put him at 9, ahead of Maia.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.