UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is BJ Penn really an all time great?

12/8/12 9:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Op needs to remember historical context. Phone Post
12/8/12 9:55 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin Arnold - I joined here in 2012, I've been following MMA since the late 90's so save that crap.

I would have to say BJ is an all time great. I should have worded the question differently and asked if BJ's career has been a disappointment overall based on how he started and how much better he could have been.

I am a huge BJ fan and am just disappointed with how his last two fights have gone and how it's really looking like he's finished.

You asked the question, homie.
12/8/12 9:55 PM
cleophus
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes he is an all time great. His problem is fighting guys bigger than him and never getting with a real camp to push him. Phone Post
12/8/12 10:00 PM
Slevin Kalevra
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah he is, but has no fight left. The sport has evolved past him. Phone Post
12/8/12 10:01 PM
Kevin Arnold

Edited: 12/08/12 10:02 PM
Ok HOMIE, yo
12/8/12 10:05 PM
ChaosOverkill
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/12 10:05 PM

Yes he is, and this is from a Rory and GSP fan.

BJ won in his prime like only one other fight in Randy has

12/8/12 10:06 PM
ranier wolfcastle
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

titles in 2 divisions = all time great.

even if he;'d died tonight

12/8/12 10:09 PM
AbbeyRoadMe
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Certainly one of the most talented and naturally gifted fighters. One of the best and most dominant lightweights. He is one of the best of his generation.

For the record I've never been a huge Penn fan but his place in history is set despite his recent record. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:45 PM
Silhouette
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i dont care if bj never wins another fight

the man fought from 155 to 205. Went and fought Machida who was undeafted and just slept Franklin. Fought at 185 and won vs two Gracies.

left the ufc to fight Gomi (considered number 1 at the time), then beat Matt Hughes who was on a tear

then went on his LW title run

hes a fucking legend and his legacy will always be remembered as a man who would fight anyone, any where, any time, any weight
12/8/12 11:50 PM
Jaybrone
329 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At LW absolutely with out question. At 170? Not even close.

12/8/12 11:56 PM
Dookieshoes

In the over arching spectrum of the current MMA big picture, will Baby Jay be remembered...NO. BJ has no legacy compared to the greats. The sport is too young its just now getting its Golden age legends. Ex. Anderson, GSP, Bones Jones. How can anyone say BJ measures up to these fighters w/o a personal bias. Maybe he'll be remembered as a spoiled mamas boy whiner who could never handle defeat properly he certainly won't be remembered as some abstract GOAT.
12/9/12 12:22 AM
Jeon Sa
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes I don't like his personality but he is an incredible martial artist and deserves

RESPECT Phone Post
12/9/12 3:27 AM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin Arnold - Ok HOMIE, yo

Are you like 68 years old?

And white?
12/9/12 3:39 AM
daba

He definitely is but he's been fighting years past his prime. Whenever a fighter does this it tarnishes their legacy although it really shouldn't. Phone Post
12/9/12 3:44 AM
whoabro

I am basically a BJ hater, and even i'd say he is an all-time great. Like Randy, another all-time great with a spotty record, its not about the Ls and Ws as much as it is that he pushed himself (sometimes past his limits) and was part of many incredible fights Phone Post
12/9/12 3:48 AM
Potatowned

This is a fucking stupid question. Have you ever looked at his record? It's a "who's who" of fucking killers.

GSPx2, Hughes x3, Fitch, Gomi, Lyoto, Pulver x2, Ludwig, Diaz, Renzo, Sherk, Sanchez, Joe Daddy, Edgar x2...

No gimmies. His entire career was fought at top competition. His first fight EVER was in the UFC. Anyone else you know get thrown into the fire like that?
12/9/12 4:05 AM
TheMessiah

THE CACTUS KID - He's got a Randy Couture like record,but yea he's up there with the greatest.The guards changed bruh!
. Phone Post
12/9/12 4:18 AM
BlazinAsian
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has there been a better lightweight in history? Granted Edgar got his number, but BJ's overall body of work as a lightweight is second to none.

A boxing analogy would be Roy Jones Jr.
12/9/12 8:48 AM
RustyTrombone
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course he's an all time great. He's a fucking legend. That being said, he is tarnishing his career fighting in the wrong weight class and continuously turning up with shitty cardio. He could make 145 if he had a mike dolce type guy with him. Phone Post
12/9/12 8:49 AM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes
12/9/12 8:58 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 9:09 AM

BJ Penn is probably the greatest Lightweight of all time. Phone Post

12/9/12 9:03 AM
Tommy Gunnz
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMentalisT - I have always felt he was one of the more overrated guys in MMA. He has had great fights against great competition but he didn't dominate like other all time greats have. He basically wins two fights and then loses one. That's hardly dominant. He also fought in a weak era in them lighter divisions. I think Jon jones accomplished more than him already. Imo

I agree
12/9/12 9:08 AM
GeoDim

The Elastic Assassin - held a belt in two classes.....fuck yes.....who else has done that....hendo...aaaannnnnd?......

....Randy? Phone Post
12/9/12 9:25 AM
Wrex

Randy did yeah.

Don't look at numbers and decide that someone sucks or someone is great because of it.

BJ Penn was utterly dominant and unstoppable, as has been made very clear, held two belts in the UFC at the same time and always put on a show against fighters who were immense.

Sean Sherk had only ever lost to Hughes and GSP at Welterweight prior and was legit as all hell. BJ ran through him like he was nothing.

Looking back at Sean Sherk now and if you didn't know, you'd think it was a nothing fight, but that's pure revisionist history.
12/9/12 9:41 AM
rezzz
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes he is ..... no doubt! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.