UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Tank Abbott vs. Ken Shamrock had happened

12/8/12 10:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who would have won between Tank Abbott and Ken Shamrock if it had happened?

I'd have to give the edge to Ken Shamrock to win the fight. Why? Because Ken was more skilled. Tank Abbott was a tough guy, and he certainly had what I'd call a punchers chance to win, as in if he lands big he could have won on a KO or TKO, but Tank really didn't have a lot of skill as a fighter. He had some boxing and and some wrestling (although he wasn't great at either), but that was it. He was more of a strong, tough guy who could brawl. Ken was a more well rounded striker, a better wrestler, and his submission skills were much better, plus he was faster than Tank and had better endurance than Tank.
12/8/12 10:41 PM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/8/12 10:49 PM
ranier wolfcastle
989 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ken would win if he fought smart

12/8/12 10:49 PM
UGCTT_Pariah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd give it to Ken, probably by submission (As long as Tank wasn't able to kick Shamrock in the face while he was pulling for a leglock or anything lol)

Definitely guys bring it, but Ken's definitely a better, more technical fighter.

12/8/12 10:52 PM
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tank acted like Ken was just some pretty boy who was pumped up on steroids and that he was not a real fighter, and that he was naturally stronger and a natural fighter.

I think that he's totally underestimating Ken. Ken was in plenty of street fights in his life before he became a pro fighter. Ken also beat better competition than Tank as a pro fighter.
12/8/12 10:54 PM
theshooter

It's unfortunate that this fight never took place. Both guys are so far past their primes now that it's really not a very interesting fight anymore. I say this as somebody who generally likes freak show fights too (because at this point, that's what it would be).
12/8/12 10:59 PM
Gary81

I had the pleasure of having lunch with Ken a couple years ago. I asked him what he thought about tank. He said Tank had a big mouth but was a real fighter.

He also said if he had to bring two guys with him to a street fight he would pick Tank and Frye. Phone Post
12/8/12 11:08 PM
voorhees

At UU96 Tank would have won.

No other time though.

I wish Ken hadnt broke his hand like a dumbass on Johnston and instead submitted him.

If Ken had moved on in that tourny it woulda changed everything.
12/8/12 11:11 PM
theshooter

"He said Tank had a big mouth but was a real fighter."

It sounds like Ken was a lot more kind and respectful here than Tank.

"He also said if he had to bring two guys with him to a street fight he would pick Tank and Frye."

Interesting choices. I don't doubt that either guy is a real fighter, and both would certainly come in handy in a street fight to have on your side, but I can think of other people I'd prefer to have on my side in a street fight, like Junior dos Santos, Brock Lesnar, Cain Valasquez, Alistair Overeem, or Shane Carwin to name a few. Semmy Schilt would probably be another good guy to have on one's side in a street fight because he's so tall that his height would probably scare people away.
12/8/12 11:12 PM
theshooter

"At UU96 Tank would have won."

Not necessarily, especially if they had fought in the first round. If Ken had fought Tank with a broken hand in the second round I do think that Tank would have won though.
12/8/12 11:14 PM
theshooter

"I wish Ken hadnt broke his hand like a dumbass on Johnston and instead submitted him."

He did submit him with a forearm choke. But yeah, that was a rather dumbass move to have kept pounding him in the head with punches until he broke his hand. I think that he could have beaten him without having done that.
12/8/12 11:16 PM
theshooter

Look at both guy's resumes as fighters. Ken's got a better record than Tank.
12/8/12 11:18 PM
rockwell
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shammy by whammy fosho Phone Post
12/8/12 11:21 PM
Megatherium
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken via heelhook (Tank wore shoes and Ken really disliked Tank). Ken was leagues above Tank as a fighter.
12/8/12 11:29 PM
FJJ828

Ken by heelhook.

12/8/12 11:40 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tank and Ken were probably both at their peaks in overall skill at the Ultimate Ultimate 96, but Ken was superior. Ken's chin was hard as fuck back in the day and Tank didn't have the gas tank to hang with Ken deep into a fight. Despite Ken's cardio being very poor in his post WWF run, his cardio was GREAT during his first UFC run.

Tank was an underrated wrestler and was very big, but he didn't have the speed or agility to match Ken's athleticism. Ken would have taken Tank down at some point in the fight; Ken was a master at timing takedowns at exactly when his opponent was off balance throwing a punch or kick, and was great at getting inside for a takedown while avoiding being hit. When Tank commits heavily to a KO punch, that is exactly when Ken is going to go for the takedown, and Ken's ridiculous speed and strength would make the takedown successful.

At the UU96, Ken shot one of the fastest takedowns I've ever seen a heavyweight shoot in MMA, when he shot that perfectly timed double leg on Brian Johnston after Johnston threw a kick. Maurice Smith said one time that if you blinked, Ken would have you on your back; that's how fast Ken's takedowns were. We saw exactly this at the UU96. We didn't see this too often earlier in his UFC career because Ken was ALWAYS dealing with some sort of knee injury, which slowed his takedowns considerably.

In addition, Ken was an underrated clinch fighter; Dan Severn abused Tank in the clinch in their fight at the first Ultimate Ultimate, while Severn couldn't move Ken in the clinch at UFC 6. So if the fight ends up in the clinch, I expect Ken to have the advantage here, too.

Tank wore shoes, too, so it would be easy for Ken to break Tank's leg if it went to the ground.

I also question whether Tank genuinely disrespects Ken as much as he says he does. Tank was a smart guy and Ken was the top dog when Tank broke into the UFC. When Tank called Ken out at the first Ultimate Ultimate in 1995 for not fighting in the tournament (Tank said something like "all the real fighters are here fighting in the tournament"), Ken was the champion and Tank was gunning for him. Ken was a complete psycho and Tank's trash talking made Ken irate (especially when Tank called Bohlander a "pussy" for pulling out of the tournament with an injury before their fight, despite Tank outweighing Jerry by like 70 lbs.), so the rivalry was definitely real, but I wonder if Tank really didn't respect Ken as a fighter. He had to have.

After Ken challenged Tank in his postfight interview at the UU96, Tank responded to the challenge live at UFC 12 when Bruce Beck asked him about it; Tank declined the fight and said something like "Ken should go look in the mirror and challenge himself, Ken's not on my agenda", so if he felt that Ken was such a fake fighter I question why he didn't accept the fight. Tank also turned down a fight with Ken at UFC 48, where Ken fought Kimo instead, but (IIRC) this was around the time that Tank's mother died and Tank was in no condition to fight anybody.

12/8/12 11:59 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theshooter - Tank acted like Ken was just some pretty boy who was pumped up on steroids and that he was not a real fighter, and that he was naturally stronger and a natural fighter.

I think that he's totally underestimating Ken. Ken was in plenty of street fights in his life before he became a pro fighter. Ken also beat better competition than Tank as a pro fighter.

Exactly. Ken grew up on the streets and was in fights all the time. Ken lived in a car at one point and was homeless as a 12 year old, living by himself after running away from foster homes. Ken was a legit fighter, not some fake wanna be tough guy.

12/9/12 3:17 AM
theshooter

"At the UU96, Ken shot one of the fastest takedowns I've ever seen a heavyweight shoot in MMA, when he shot that perfectly timed double leg on Brian Johnston after Johnston threw a kick. Maurice Smith said one time that if you blinked, Ken would have you on your back; that's how fast Ken's takedowns were."

Later in Ken's career, I think his knees were shot, and this greatly hindered his take down ability. Having a more difficult time taking fights to the ground meant that Ken did not have as much chance to use his ground control and submission skills. This meant that he had to rely more on stand up striking. Ken developed into a decent striker, but it was not the strongest part of his game as he was always more of a grappler than a striker. Then you factor in that taking cumulative blows to the head throughout ones career as a fighter (as well as from any fights prior in his career, as well as any head trauma he suffered as a pro wrestler or from playing football), and you end up with a guy who is easier to knock out. Compare Ken's "chin" (as in his ability to absorb strikes) earlier in his career to later in his career and you will notice a big drop later in his career.

Ken's theme song for the later part of his career should have been Toby Keith's "I Ain't As Good As I Once Was."
12/9/12 3:22 AM
theshooter

"Tank also turned down a fight with Ken at UFC 48, where Ken fought Kimo instead,"

And it should be pointed out that Tank lost to Kimo via submission, whereas Ken defeated Kimo twice, first by submission and then by KO.
12/9/12 3:25 AM
theshooter

The only chance I see for Tank beating Ken would be if he had come out throwing wild bombs and landed one to score a KO or a TKO, or if he had landed one that stunned Ken to the point where he could get him on the ground and have top position and immediately reign down more hard blows to get a stoppage or a KO.

Other than that, I see Ken winning, probably by a submission hold of some type, and this is the more likely scenario of what would have happened in my opinion.
12/9/12 3:29 AM
California

Ken by a choke or a leg sub.

12/9/12 4:34 AM
Megatherium
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy on the coffee can.

Juan Valdez.
12/9/12 5:13 AM
Jambo888
536 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a young jacked pancrase era shamrock

12/9/12 5:16 AM
gracie
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The odds would probably be -300 Shamrock favorite lol. Tank could have KO'd him though!
12/9/12 9:29 AM
Soup and Beer
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theshooter - "I wish Ken hadnt broke his hand like a dumbass on Johnston and instead submitted him."

He did submit him with a forearm choke. But yeah, that was a rather dumbass move to have kept pounding him in the head with punches until he broke his hand. I think that he could have beaten him without having done that.

I remember Ken saying the reason he went batshit with punches was he was getting a lot of criticism from fans for always going for submissions instead of striking.  He went into UU96 with a purpose of showing his knockout power.  Didn't work out too well for him but if he had fought smart he would have made it to the finals.  Frye would have still beaten him though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.