UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Okay, seriously? The Shogun-Rua fight judging

12/9/12 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Overseer
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is fucking WHAT THE FUCK. 30-27 and 30-26?!

Okay Rua may have lost, but in absolutely no way does his performance justify that kind of score. What in the serious actual fuck, the scoring should've been 29-28 all across the board.

I'm pissed and gonna go smoke a bowl. Fuck. Phone Post
12/9/12 12:15 AM
RKing85
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30-26 was wrong.

30-27 is fine though.

Rounds 2 and 3 clearly went to the Swede, round 1 was close and you could make a case for either fighter.

29-28 and 30-27 are both perfectly acceptable scores.
12/9/12 12:16 AM
The Overseer
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - 30-26 was wrong.

30-27 is fine though.

Rounds 2 and 3 clearly went to the Swede, round 1 was close and you could make a case for either fighter.

I could accept 30-27 for the 3rd round just because of the takedowns and striking of Gus, but the other two rounds were 29-28. It makes me mad, seriously Phone Post
12/9/12 12:17 AM
mmavixen
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30-26 was downright insane.

12/9/12 12:17 AM
The Overseer

Wu Massacre - which round do you think he won though? 1 or 2 ? i thought both of those were very close but gus took them. i could see an argument being made for either, and it is probably the fight ill be looking to rewatch first from this card

i thought siver - phan, crunk-martinez, shogun-gus, were the most deserving of fotn though

MAYBE round 1, and he kept pace and such in the 2nd. He didn't win rounds 2 and 3, but he didn't get insanely dominated like the score implies. It's bullshit. Phone Post
12/9/12 12:21 AM
UGCTT_LastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If my Swedish brethren won rounds 1 and 2 by a score of 10-9...there's no reason round 3 shouldn't have been 10-8.

I have spoken.
12/9/12 12:25 AM
The Overseer

Wu Massacre - i agree, round 1 and 2 were neck and neck, but i think gus won both, although from what i remember round 1 shogun might have won. gus landed more shots in 1 but shogun landed harder and had the sub attempt. in 2 shogun landed more but gus landed some nice knees and takedowns.

well if you look at the rules its fairly clear how, they thought he overwhelmingly dominated, which is what happened, but its true the refs suck and should be replaced by people who trane
I think the judges paid an insane amount of attention to the takedowns.

So dumb. Phone Post
12/9/12 12:27 AM
The Overseer

Wu Massacre - ya the judges i meant but you got it anyways, but uhhh... some of the tds were pretty nice and effective, some good sweeps, they were hard tds not soft ones, and there was some gnp... i thought they scored it well, but overall, judging sux
The takedowns in the 3rd round by Gus were damn impressive, which is why I'd accept a 30-27 or 30-26, is because Shogun didn't do anything in the 3rd, but the 1st and 2nd were 29-28 rounds Phone Post
12/9/12 12:41 AM
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Overseer -

30-27 is fine though.

I could accept 30-27 for the 3rd round just because of the takedowns and striking of Gus, but the other two rounds were 29-28. It makes me mad, seriously Phone Post
Lol...? Phone Post
12/9/12 12:41 AM
ortman166

Trolling?^ Phone Post
12/9/12 12:50 AM
mghan44
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Overseer - 
Wu Massacre - ya the judges i meant but you got it anyways, but uhhh... some of the tds were pretty nice and effective, some good sweeps, they were hard tds not soft ones, and there was some gnp... i thought they scored it well, but overall, judging sux
The takedowns in the 3rd round by Gus were damn impressive, which is why I'd accept a 30-27 or 30-26, is because Shogun didn't do anything in the 3rd, but the 1st and 2nd were 29-28 rounds Phone Post

I'm sensing troll in this post and your previous one. If not you need to go revise how scoring works round by round.

Anyway, I feel opposite about the scoring. HOPEFULLY this represents a trend of judges scoring fights in a manner that will HUGELY diminish the prevalence of fucked decisions in the UFC. Don't see why so many people think a 10-8 round should be reserved for when a fighter is near finished.

10-9 goes to a VERY close round that could legitimately go either way.
10-8 goes to a round with a clear cut winner, regardless of near finishes or total dominance. Any round without argument as to the winner should be 10-8.
10-7 goes to a round which is now generally considered at 10-8 by most people.

12/9/12 12:52 AM
Salt the Snail

I honestly thought Shogun won the first 2 rounds barely. Gustaffson had the most dominant round in round 3. Either way that fight could have gone either way and the judges fucked up.
12/9/12 11:17 AM
ortman166

Salt the Snail - I honestly thought Shogun won the first 2 rounds barely. Gustaffson had the most dominant round in round 3. Either way that fight could have gone either way and the judges fucked up.
What? I wanted shogun but he lost, obviously. Phone Post
12/9/12 11:21 AM
Eisenberg
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 11:22 AM
Shogun won the 1st round...when he fell it really was a slip not a legit knockdown. He then reversed Gus, had a dangerous sub attempt and later landed the most significant strikes of the round (hard knee, right hand that dropped Gus).

Gus won the other 2 rounds no question, even though it was mostly due to point takedowns making Shogun gas.

29-28 Gus.
12/9/12 11:26 AM
ufc98newb
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol. this guy trying really hard to troll and nobody is biting. or is just really REALLY dumb

12/9/12 11:50 AM
Rear Naked Chode
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Overseer - 

30-27 is fine though.

I think you're confused. Unless you're adding all three judges score together in a round.

I had shogun winning the first 10-9 but Gus won the 2nd and 3rd 10-9. 29-28 Gus.
12/9/12 11:57 AM
FreakDaddy
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 11:57 AM
RKing85 - 30-26 was wrong.

30-27 is fine though.

This is how an objective person would see the fight.....I have no idea how anyone would have a 10-8 round in that fight....Round one was very close and could have went either way, so I could see how 30/27 and 29/28 could have been scored for Gus......
12/9/12 12:01 PM
mikerobmma
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wu Massacre - they called a bunch of 10-8s during the fight

which, isnt far from what the rules actually call for

i could see how round 3 was a 10-8 round

"a round is to be scored as a 10-10 round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows clear dominance in a round; (I think this needs to be called a lot more)

a round is to be scored as a 10-9 round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;

a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

a round is to be scored as a 10-7 round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round."
Overwhelming?

Lol, wut..... Phone Post
12/9/12 12:03 PM
mrgoodarmbar
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guys nearly get killed and they invariably score it 10-9... and now they decide to pull out the 8 for one of those rounds?
12/9/12 12:05 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Take who the fighters are out of the equation.

For YEARS it has sucked that the judges NEVER used 10-8's for dominant rounds. I was happy to see Washington's judges actually using the scoring system the way it was intended. So many 10-8s, even if some are controvercial, is only going to make the scoring system better. 

Just like Penn-Fitch was rightfully a draw, you could argue round 3 of this fight a 10-8. The owrding does not call for a near finish, only domination of the round. 

12/9/12 12:20 PM
the geek
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 

30-26 was downright insane.

Yup yup, Shogun lost but not 30-26.
12/9/12 12:24 PM
mghan44
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Take who the fighters are out of the equation.

For YEARS it has sucked that the judges NEVER used 10-8's for dominant rounds. I was happy to see Washington's judges actually using the scoring system the way it was intended. So many 10-8s, even if some are controvercial, is only going to make the scoring system better. 

Just like Penn-Fitch was rightfully a draw, you could argue round 3 of this fight a 10-8. The owrding does not call for a near finish, only domination of the round. 

I have been saying this for years as well. You are voted up for sensibility.
12/9/12 12:27 PM
SHOGUN250
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These judges go from NEVER giving 10-8 rounds to their being uproar about never being 10-8 rounds. Now last night they start handing them out like a pedophile gives candy out the back of his van.

Personally I had Shogun edging out the first round but Gus dictating the last two for a 29-28. I wouldn't disagree with anyone who said Gus edged out the first round as well, it was close. But LOL @ there being ANYTHING NEAR a 10-8 round in that fight, it was very close.

What pissed me off more than anything was fucking retard Goldberg going OFF 15+ times about how this card represents a "changing of the guard". Fuck he's just so retarded, I'd much rather Rogan just do the whole thing.
12/9/12 1:18 PM
MdGeist

Just rewatched the fight:

1st round: Pretty clear-cut 10-9 for Gus. Shogun only landed a handful of strikes to Gus's 20+ significant strikes. The only way you could score this 10-9 for Shogun is if you weighed Shogun's over-hand-trip-takedown and his heel hook attempt more than a Gus's significant striking advantage.

2nd round: Very, very close round. Shogun won the striking exchanges in the early half of the fight, Gus came back and regained some ground, but Shogun finished strong and closed out the round being nearly equal in significant strikes landed. 10-9 for either guy

3rd round: Clear-cut 10-9 possibly 10-8 for Gus. The round was nearly even until the mid-way point when Gus landed that body kick that put Shogun in defense mode for the last 2 1/2 minutes. That front kick to the face that nearly dropped Shogun and the consecutive take downs sealed the win.

The fact that Shogun had absolutely no offense for half of the 3rd round could be a justified 10-8.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.