UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Pro wrestlers who couldn't handle their push

12/10/12 8:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stryfe
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - Someone mentioned Tommy Rich. It's true that he didn't maintain his level of popularity for a extended period of time, but for a few years in the early 80's he was one of the most over guys in the business.

I had mention Rich. He was "big" in the smaller territories but when given the title was known as the worst choice for a period of being world champion and continued to go down hill after that. I do not think all of the names listed in this thread were the fault soley of the wrestlers. No matter how great a Terry Taylor was the Red Rooster was getting over. With Tommy Rich I think they rushed him before a national audience had a chance to know him.
12/10/12 9:11 PM
grady
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Japan...

Akiyama Jun. The guy was supposed to be the new face of NOAH in the early 00s but couldn't keep it together because he suffers from severe anxiety. dropped the title to Ogawa in like 4mins, also jobbed to Kobashi at the dome when he due to go over.
12/10/12 9:25 PM
vengence
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tazz - huge debut...then honestly faded away. And I was a huuuuge mark for Taz in ECW.

Fat Hardy - got a pretty decent push on Smackdown and never became anything major. Mainly bc of his loppysided eyes and crooked nose. He is an oddly shapped fella. But his work was boring and repetative....Jeff at least would mix of his moves and be entertaining.

Whether is be because of issues in the 'office', creative or w/e.... I never thought the Ken Kennedy character reached what it should..especially with the VMK whos my 'son' angle they had. there was soooo much that could have been done with that.
12/11/12 12:21 AM
TheBearStare
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grady - In Japan...

Akiyama Jun. The guy was supposed to be the new face of NOAH in the early 00s but couldn't keep it together because he suffers from severe anxiety. dropped the title to Ogawa in like 4mins, also jobbed to Kobashi at the dome when he due to go over.

whoa is this common knowledge? never heard about this anxiety issue before. how far back does it date? i thought ogawa won because he was misawa's friend?
12/11/12 1:47 AM
grizz632
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It goes back a few years. Akiyama had (has? not sure if he still does) panic attacks and anxiety issues. I'm not sure that's what lead to him dropping the belt to Ogawa or losing to Kobashi at the Dome show though. Akiyama had been having some great title defenses in his run as champ prior to the Ogawa match, so I'm not sure any personal issues he may have had entered into it. If you don't think someone can handle being the champ and face of the company, then you don't leave the title on him for almost 8 months. My theory was that rat boy Ogawa grabbing the win was more of a shock thing to try and get some buzz and interest at the top of the card. The Kobashi thing was just horrible booking on Noah's part, which is something they've had a proud tradition of over the years. Kobashi was slowing down with injuries and Akiyama should have got the rub, but for whatever reason Kobashi went over
12/11/12 2:00 AM
TheBearStare
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for that info. I know akiyama was supposed to go over kobashi at the dome but damn it for me personally it was spectacular that he didnt. Kobashi just seemed even more invincible and legendary. I really loved that whole run. I remember akiyama even putting over kobashi as "the god of puroresu" in some interview some time later Phone Post
12/11/12 2:54 AM
Stone17Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - Someone mentioned Tommy Rich. It's true that he didn't maintain his level of popularity for a extended period of time, but for a few years in the early 80's he was one of the most over guys in the business.

My girlfriend in 1980 had cable tv and saw Tommy Rich wrestle alot and told me he was better than Ric Flair in looks and talent. I did not have cable tv and only knew Rich from the magazines. I knew he did not hold a candle to Ric Flair inside the ring or on the mic.

30 yrs later it's obvious who won that debate.
12/11/12 4:56 AM
dhgben

Shawn stasick in wcw as the mecca of manhood then as meat in the wwf Phone Post
12/11/12 7:58 AM
thekev1130

#1 clear cut has to be Ultimate Warrior. Not only in WWF but also the hugely disappointing main event run in WCW.

12/11/12 11:22 AM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 -
RoyMunson - 
Philanderer - Luger. He was supposed to go over Yokozuna, but screwed it up shooting his mouth off and giving away the ending at a bar.

THis^ Luger had his own frickin tour bus "The LEX EXPRESS"

He's still my hero...
lol that's one of the worst Vignettes ever. Even as a kid I was like, "wow, this is fuckin cheesy. Phone Post
12/11/12 11:30 AM
Stryfe
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Again I don't think it is his fault but Kea was suppose to be the next Kobashi and that was many years ago and a lot of hype to live up.
12/11/12 11:59 AM
grizz632
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel bad for Kea. He's a really solid worker and has worked hard to make himself into a top guy in AJP, but the second someone declared him the next Kobashi they doomed him to become someone people would see as an underachiever. I'm bummed he's taking a leave of absence next year, I've enjoyed his work lately Phone Post
12/11/12 12:37 PM
Stryfe

grizz632 -  I feel bad for Kea. He's a really solid worker and has worked hard to make himself into a top guy in AJP, but the second someone declared him the next Kobashi they doomed him to become someone people would see as an underachiever. I'm bummed he's taking a leave of absence next year, I've enjoyed his work lately Phone Post

He has definetly took it up a few notches lately and is finishing strong.
12/11/12 2:17 PM
nipperusa

Marks are helping put dolph ziggler on this list by constantly comparing him to flair Phone Post
12/11/12 5:17 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Art do you still have your Narcissist figures? Phone Post
12/11/12 7:44 PM
grady
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - It goes back a few years. Akiyama had (has? not sure if he still does) panic attacks and anxiety issues. I'm not sure that's what lead to him dropping the belt to Ogawa or losing to Kobashi at the Dome show though. Akiyama had been having some great title defenses in his run as champ prior to the Ogawa match, so I'm not sure any personal issues he may have had entered into it. If you don't think someone can handle being the champ and face of the company, then you don't leave the title on him for almost 8 months. My theory was that rat boy Ogawa grabbing the win was more of a shock thing to try and get some buzz and interest at the top of the card. The Kobashi thing was just horrible booking on Noah's part, which is something they've had a proud tradition of over the years. Kobashi was slowing down with injuries and Akiyama should have got the rub, but for whatever reason Kobashi went over

Akiyama, from what I had heard, asked to drop the title due to the pressure than continue to get his push. Misawa decided that he would try Ogawa for the "shock value" and as a way of punishing Akiyama.

I heard Jun said he wasn't ready at the dome show.

Of course rumors are rumors but Jun's anxiety issues have definitely played a role in how he was underbooked compared to what he WAS supposed to be.
12/11/12 7:58 PM
TheBearStare

All this info on akiyama is blowing my mind Phone Post
12/11/12 7:59 PM
TheBearStare

Hardcore holly had a huge push for a while. He main-evented with brock didnt he? Never could stand him. Phone Post
12/11/12 8:42 PM
bigironmike79
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArtMinaj -

A lot of that really wasn't all their fault.  Glacier was just a horrible idea to begin with and pretty laughable. 

Could've been a good gimmick in wwe. Vince had more of that cartoon style characters. Always thought him and mortis could've been a huge tag team in wwe. Phone Post
12/12/12 1:27 AM
Rickson's Aura

Is this a thread about wrestlers that got a huge push but couldn't live up to it? I don't know why the Warrior's name is being brought up first. He couldn't duplicate Hogan's success but neither could some of the others. After Hogan, McMahon gave pushes to Bret Hart, Kevin Nash as Diesel, and a big one to Shawn Michaels. They were all champions and a major step down in terms of drawing power/popularity from Hogan and even Warrior. Fans began booing Michaels even when Vince was trying create sympathy angles for him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.