UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Want to Learn Keyboard/Piano

12/9/12 11:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
theseanster
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A bit of my musical endavors: I played sax when I was in 6th and 7th grade and could read music pretty well. As a teen I took some guitar lessons for a few months and was basically self taught, couldn't read music and play guitar really much at all. So 20+ years later here I am interested in learning keyboards. I type on a computer basically all day so I think I'm coordinated enough to do it, but I'm not sure where to start. I was messing around on my brother's piano trying to play "Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd the other day and that just sealed it for me. I must learn this, and learn to read music and learn properly this time like I did on sax and did not do on guitar. I also saw some of those Ronald Jenkees videos and "wow, holy shit!" 

Thoughts on gear? Would like to keep it under $2,000 and have enough keys to take piano lessons, which leads to my next question.

There's some churchy lady down the street that teaches for cheap, should I start off doing something like that or are there better ways? I'd rather start off learning with styles of music I'm interested in (rock, jazz, classical) than kids music that sounds like a circus....but I'm not too picky.

Thanks!

12/9/12 12:36 PM
Ali
777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 12:36 PM
The churchy lady down the street sounds like a bad idea if she gets you playing Twinkle Twinkle and has you move on to Rock of Ages, or That's Me Lord Standing in the Name of Prayer.

If she doesn't do that, but happens to be churchy, then so what? You want someone to teach you to read, and a bit of theory as it's built in to what you're doing. You want someone to correct bad technique. Give her a whirl and see if that's what you're getting (to the extent you can tell). Having a teacher will make you practice, if you're like most people, more than not having a teacher. If it feels "off" early, then it probably is, in my experience, though.

You might have to travel farther than down the street, or after a while you might; you might be one of those people who really can study on your own.

I have no idea about equipment and bang for the buck, there, sorry! (And I'm sorry forsaying obvious things, that you already know, but hopefully am just bringing them a bit more to the forefront of your mind!)
12/22/12 10:25 PM
theseanster
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Broke down and ordered one today. Excited and nervous to get started

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.