UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Does BJ Penn have the worst cornermen in MMA?

12/9/12 1:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Me and my buddy say this during every Penn fight. BJ will be getting rapped and they'll be telling him he looks good and he's just gotta let his hands go a little more. Awful, awful corner. Phone Post
12/9/12 1:51 PM
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web monkey
on par with Coleman's crew at UFC 93 against Shogun

"He cant hurt you Mark! Youre a legend! Youre a fuckin legend! That didnt do shit! he cant hurt you because youre a legend!"

as Shogun was uppercutting the fuck out of him
12/9/12 1:53 PM
asbury
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I'm going to start a band called BJ and the yes men
12/9/12 1:59 PM
temujen
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JakodaRay - I loved what they told him after the 1st round "Just scrap BJ!"

They're almost as good as Mark Coleman
"Yeah Kev! GO KEV! You got im' Kev! YEAH KEV YEEEAH! Go for him Kev! Yes Kev, YES! That's how you do it Kev! No Kev! Go KEV!"
Wasn't there one fight, I forget Which hammer house fighter it was but the advice was - "WRESTLE, WRESTLE" over and over Phone Post
12/9/12 2:17 PM
stillmatic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's frustrating that he can never make an in-fight adjustment.  Big part of that is definitely the corner never being able to give him clear and technical instructions.  Instead, they're just trying to pump him up and that inevitably fails. I've never been a big fan of him constantly switching the team around him and it clearly shows in the inconsistency of his performance.  He doesn't want to leave Hawaii and be away from his family, which is understandable but the days of running your own camp are more or less done.  Nobody is having success doing that anymore.

12/9/12 2:22 PM
Periodik

I think mayweather is a bit different because his main trainers don't really hang out with him much. His uncle is obviously a huge fan of him but isn't afraid to stand his ground if he thinks floyd isn't looking sharp.

His social crew on the other hand are the typical henchman and parasites that usually follow celebrities.
12/9/12 2:29 PM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sniper1026 - Have him work with Greg Jackson.
Not sure if serious Phone Post
12/9/12 2:45 PM
Puntsized

You have to put this into perspective too, bj is always fighting the BEST competition. These individuals always seem to have endless cardio, which is obviously his achilles.

Put him in there with Leonard Garcia and see how he performs :p Phone Post
12/9/12 3:02 PM
Rickson's Aura
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 3:10 PM
Bj surrounds himself with dbags and in the midst of that he becomes one. At one point rudeboy from TUF was one his main trainers. That says a lot about BJ Penn. He'd rather be talking about being a real fighter and not changing his approach to training. That's a shame cause if had some of the focus that GSP had he might still be LW champ.
12/9/12 3:04 PM
nineohfive

BJ has surrounded himself with 'yes' men forever.

I think BJ likes to keep his 'friends' around, but they are all really just leeches. I remember in the primetime for GSP/PENN II he would make a joke and the whole entourage would erupt into laughter on queue. What a sad way to feel good about yourself.
12/9/12 4:50 PM
Doc T
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - Usually a top fighters team becomes his friends and family, whereas BJ's friends and family became his team.

It may be too late now, but i really wish BJ joined a major camp at some point.
Lol, awesome Phone Post
12/9/12 5:53 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember watching Waachiim Spiritwolf's most recent fight in Bellator, and he had his girlfriend and his 10 year old son working his corner. His son was giving him more technical advice between rounds than BJ's corner has in his last three or four fights. Check it out online if you don't believe me. Phone Post
12/9/12 6:27 PM
HandyDarsh
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dingdong_malice - Penn wasnt making technical mistakes, he just gave up, i think his corner was just trying to fire him up.
He fought a whole round with busted ribs, he wouldn't have finished the fight if he gave up. Phone Post
12/9/12 6:33 PM
WoodenPupa
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As cornerman I would feel terrible if I had no technical advice to give.

We all hate to see unqualified people at various jobs in public. The guy trying to sell you gear at the computer store who isn't a tech geek himself; the mouthy schmuck at the tire store who knows jack about vehicles in general. We hate dealing with these people and generally feel embarrassment for them, not to mention ourselves, when we can't answer questions posed by bosses or the public at our own jobs.

When a rattled, wounded fighter sits down on the stool between rounds, he's asking a question whether he speaks it or not: "What am I supposed to do?"

A cornerman is supposed to spot patterns in both fighters, his own and the opponent, and suggest ways to capitalize on them. He should, also, cheer lead when it's necessary. If his man is doing technically well, but not pulling the trigger, then it's apt to say, "Pull the trigger. I want more punches" or something like that.

When a cornerman is doing things that all of us could do, we wonder whether he's qualified, just like we do when the kid at Best Buy tells us how awesome that video card is, and can't seem to utter anything else.
12/9/12 6:45 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hated them because they didn't have the sense not to yell fuck or shit or whatever over and over for no purpose other than muting the broadcast and ruining the flow of the audio.
12/9/12 7:28 PM
tokoros haircut
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ's corner were clearly terrible.

Completely agree about Wolfslair, they are equally as laughably clueless. Hardy's old English corner-men were pathetic as well. A lot of these people just do not know about mixed martial arts on any level it seems.

When you hear how good people like Hume, Rufus, Greg Nelson etc are, it really shows how unqualified a lot of these corner-men often show themselvesas.
12/9/12 7:36 PM
ChaosOverkill
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gillyoteen - 

I think the blame resides with BJ more than his corner

you can be the best corner in the world but if the fighter doesn't follow your adivce there is nothing you can do

if bj did what they told him to do he would have won the fight

Yes yes you've made your troll, do you want your sippy cup now?

12/9/12 7:39 PM
Kentpaul
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WALES1 -  Does Penn have the worst cornermen in MMA?

They came out with some pearls of wisdom last night!

.....'You gotta fucking hit him!'.....

No shit! Tell him how! Phone Post

This is what happens when you have got your friends and family on the payroll, they tell you what you want to hear
12/9/12 7:39 PM
Jsteven
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes his coaches and stubborn training will forever be his downfall, what a waste of maybe the most naturally talented fighter we have seen to this point. Phone Post
12/9/12 7:42 PM
ChaosOverkill
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/12 7:42 PM

wrong thread lol

12/9/12 7:51 PM
Death Beast

Didn't Randy corner him at some point? I remember him there for Hughes II
12/9/12 8:12 PM
PhallicObjekt
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya Mon - Squandered talent Phone Post
although I agree he could have been greater than what he achieved a multi weight class ufc champ is hardly something I would consider squandered Phone Post
12/9/12 8:19 PM
kyoshi
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just think what Penn could have been had he stuck at 155 and joined a different fight camp. Didn't Cesar Gracie make him an offer after the Diaz fight?
12/9/12 8:27 PM
BrattMamley
1042 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Upper left...obviously

12/9/12 8:29 PM
RKing85
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hammer House guys have the title of "Worst CornerMen of the year" locked up for another 100 years still.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.